Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

What is this noise?!?! (video)

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 01:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this noise?!?! (video)

I just finished installing a TBSS intake, 90 MM TB and TBSS Injectors and had my tune updated by Wheatley. The truck was down for about (1) week. I finished the install and now I have a pretty bad squeeling coming from the engine. I also have (2) codes: P0171 & P0174 which I do not think are related. I checked all (3) idler pulleys and took the seals off and regreased. No change. I went under the truck with the engine running and using my stethoscope found that it seems to be coming from the rear of the engine where the transmission meets the block. (video) It seems to go away with RPM but its hard to tell because of the exhaust noise. Oil pressure is good, oil looks fine, truck runs fine and seems to have good power. Other than the noise and the codes there is no effect on the truck whatsoever. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 03-20-2010, 04:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Those should be bank 1 and 2 lean codes if I remember, I guess loosen and re-torque the intake manifold bolts and spray carb cleaner around the base of it at idle and see if the rpm goes up at all, showing where a possible leak is.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:49 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get it figured out yet?
Old 03-21-2010, 06:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yes I did actually. The noise was actually from the PCV system. When I originally installed the intake I had the PCV hose from the driver's side valve cover and the vent hose from the passenger side valve cover "tee'd" into each other and hooked to the port on the top of the intake. I did this because the TBSS intake does not have a port on the rear of the TB for the passenger side. I guess this was causing some pressure issues. How I found out the problem was simple: let the engine idle, while making the noise, and then remove the oil fill cap. Once I removed the cap it let all the pressure out and the noise went away. I fixed it (I think) by hooking up the driver's side valve cover to the port on the top, leaving the passenger side open, and then drilled a 1/8" hole in the oil fill cap. No more noise and no pressure release when I removed the cap. I do not know if this is right or not but it seemed to get rid of the issue. However I am still having the Service Engine Light on which I suspect is some other issue that I need to look into...
Old 03-21-2010, 10:30 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Huh, that's kinda weird, did you check if you had any blockages in those lines? Never heard of this happening before.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

I replaced all the lines during the intake install....