Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

What Programmer to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 08:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BADMOFO
I'm not a big fan of Mail Order tunes, and believe it or not had Great Luck with Hypertech. It knocked 5 tenths off of my truck in the quarter. I also had a Crane Vinci which I bought from a guy on here used for $200. It's currently in use on a friends truck and it works GREAT. I'd get the Crane/Vinci tuner, you can do a bit more with it, and it works as a trouble code OBDII scanner that can read and clear codes.

A dynotune with wideband is the only way to go for a custom tune, but the handhelds work ok on a "stock" or mildly modified (bolt ons) truck IMO.
I know you are going by personal results but think about what you are saying.... A hypertech programmer only has a few parameters, it also has limits as to how high you can turn up certain tables. With a custom tune you can have your tuner do almost anything you might need for a stock engine.

Obviously yes a dyno or street tune would be best but to say a handheld is better than a GOOD tuner, I just don't agree with that.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i might get a chance to drive to san antonio in 3 weeks, how long ahead do i have to call to get an appoinment????
Old 04-29-2007, 09:07 PM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

I didn't say it was better, but I don't think handhelds are "bad" in general. You can get a used handheld for about $200, and then when you "out grow it", mod wise, put it on Ebay and get most if not all of your money back. Alot of mailorder tunes take out %'s of T/M, which I don't think is always a good idea with a stock trans. I know a ton of people around here with 14 and 15 second trucks have tore up transmissions with as a result of T/M being removed. I'm just saying a handheld tuner is NOT a waste like a lot of people claim. Do a search on here going back to when the only other tuning option was LS1edit, and you'll see a lot of respected guys around here were running handheld tuners, and all agreed they worked. Are there better options, YES. How much can you sell a mailorder tune for if you decide to sell the truck, ZERO. I ran my truck the same day with and with out the HPPIII, and it went over .4 faster with it. It was also nice when I swapped out tires in the summer to my taller 20's.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:37 AM
Staging Lane

can a guy shut of the 02 secondary sensors with a diablosport predator, cause my truck recently started to throw a check engine light and i am figuring my 02 simulators are hooched???
Old 04-30-2007, 11:14 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RandomHero
PM Dirt Track Racer about the guy who had a predator programmer. he did a before and after dyno with the predator and lost 1 hp
He didn't tune his correctly then. I tuned a customers truck 10 minutes before the dyno run and he gain 12 hp. I know that 12 Hp ain't 30 hp gains but....It was better than what he started with.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:15 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 323inside
so would a mail in tune from nelson be better than going to Horsepower enginnering here in houston??? which would you guys recommend?
If you can drive to Horsepower Eng. and get a dyno or at least a street tune....then that is ALWAYS better than buying a handheld tuner!!!
Old 04-30-2007, 11:22 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by screamingjimmy
can a guy shut of the 02 secondary sensors with a diablosport predator, cause my truck recently started to throw a check engine light and i am figuring my 02 simulators are hooched???

To answer your question.....YES it will.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:43 PM
Staging Lane

sorry, i am misunderstanding you, do you mean that i can only clear the codes, or i can permanantly shut of the secondary sensors?
Old 04-30-2007, 01:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Torque_Wrench
He didn't tune his correctly then. I tuned a customers truck 10 minutes before the dyno run and he gain 12 hp. I know that 12 Hp ain't 30 hp gains but....It was better than what he started with.
Do you not agree that different trucks react differently to tuning? It's the same reason that you can't put blue cajun's tr220 5.3L tune in anyone's truck with a tr220 and run a 12.5
Old 04-30-2007, 04:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by screamingjimmy
sorry, i am misunderstanding you, do you mean that i can only clear the codes, or i can permanantly shut of the secondary sensors?
yOU CAN SHUT THEM OFF COMPLETELY

Quick Reply: What Programmer to buy?