Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

What is retarding my timing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 08:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What is retarding my timing?

I have a whipple with nelson tune on a 6.0L. For some reason if I am cruising along at 2000rpm and lightly press on the gas, the boost goes up like it's supposed to, the fuel pressure goes up like it's supposed to, BUT the rpm's don't and looking at the Predator, I see "spark" go from 40 down to 2. What the Fukkk?

Allen thinks it might be a cracked spark plug. Does anyone have any other ideas?
Old 08-14-2004, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cracked a plug putting my headers on last week, had a bad miss/surge at idle but ran ok under throttle. Sounds like it might be something else to me.

David
Old 08-14-2004, 11:28 AM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

programing or knock retard are the only things that can pull timing. will your scan tool monitor knock retard?
Old 08-14-2004, 11:41 AM
TECH Addict

It does monitor KR. I was getting up to 9deg KR. Now with this newest tune, it hasn't gone that high. The problem is, I can't see spark and KR at the same time on the scan tool.

Allen claims to have removed torque management totally. I wish there was a dyno around here that did tuning for our trucks. I don't know of any in New England. If anyone does, pleas let me know.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:56 AM
10 Second Truck Club

You are not getting the fuel added needed to accelerate. It's going lean an pulling timing. Check your l-trims at part throttle. Are you running the Whipple aux. injectors?
Old 08-14-2004, 12:03 PM
single digit dreamer

Originally Posted by 67SS509
You are not getting the fuel added needed to accelerate. It's going lean an pulling timing. Check your l-trims at part throttle. Are you running the Whipple aux. injectors?
it kind of sounds like you are stating facts there. .

there are 2 more likely ideas. either he is still seeing knock retard due to one of many posiable reasons and that is pulling his timing way down or allen didn't adjust the high load lower rpm section of the timing tables. it could be fuel related but i can tell you from experience 2deg of timing is going to feel like a stock 6.0 or even slower even with the whipple. a scan tool like efi live would probably point out the problem quickly.
Old 08-14-2004, 12:10 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never messed with this section in Edit but, there is a section called "Burst Knock" under the ignition tab.

If the change in airflow is big enough(like when accelerating) the "tip in" max KR table might come into play.

Parish8 - Take a look at an edit file and check out the three adjustment tables in the "Burst Knock" section and see what you think.
Old 08-14-2004, 12:12 PM
TECH Addict

I don't have the whipple aux injectors hooked up. I do have asm 43lb injectors and allen supposedly tuned for them. I do have the whipple boost-a-pump hooked up. What I don't understand is, how can I be having a fuel problem if my fuel pressure is good?

from what I've noticed. the ltrims seem to be -5ish at part throttle. i'll try to check all that stuff again and post back.
Old 08-14-2004, 12:17 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's probably all the timing control tables in the computer. There are LOTS of different tables and variables that have an affect on timing. Might take a few tunes to nail down one that finally works.

If you have good fuel pressure and your Ltrims are negative it sounds like fueling is not a problem.
Old 08-14-2004, 12:33 PM
TECH Addict

OK, this is my 6th or 7th tune. I'm sick of spending $15 each time mailing it back to him. Can someone tell me, is there a scan tool or something that I should invest in that can give Allen a definate answer to what the problem is? I NEED to fix this thing before I implode.

Quick Reply: What is retarding my timing?