Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

What shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2003, 05:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What shocks?

I think I might have been hasty getting the Edelbrock IAS shocks. They ride nice when the road is smooth, and handle great, but they have been beating the crap out of me on the freeway. I got the Hotchkis 2/4 suspension kit, and was thinking of replacing the shocks with the Trek-Master R/T shocks that Tokico has. I think that the progressive valve in these Edelbrocks are good, but become a little too harsh for the bumpy roads here in Vegas. Under most all speeds under 65, the truck feels great, but once on the freeway doing 65 or up, and everybump sends me flying out of my seat , and bounces me constantly. Do any of you guys have this problem? Is this normal for lowering the vehicle 2/4! I have lowered a couple of cars now, and have never gotten this jarring of a ride. I love it, but I can't drive back and forth to work on the city streets, takes too long.

Does anyone have the R/T shocks, if so, how are they? Or what shocks to do you guys recommend? I want a nicer ride, but still want capable handling. I am willing to loose a little performance in the name of a decent ride!
Old 05-08-2003, 05:46 PM
On The Tree

Default Re: What shocks?

Im gonna go with the same drop and I was also wondering about shocks. Everyone Iv talked to about the hotchkins loves it but they also said they lost alot of traction due to the stiff rear leafs how did it affect your ride? For this reason I contacted hawl or now qa1 for some adj shocks. They make AWSOME shocks but they build none that are specific for our rides and they are very Very pricy. So, I have desided to go with the edlbrocks in the front and the hawls in the rear. If you say the edlbrocks ride like that maybe I need to reconsider but I do not want gas. Any one have a traction prob with the 2/4?
Old 05-09-2003, 02:08 AM
Moderator / Sponsor

I have QA1's (HAL promostars back in the day) They are aluminum bodied, rebuildable, 10 way adjustable ... they are about $120 a piece but they are well worth it in my book...
Old 05-09-2003, 04:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

would the edelbrock be good for 2wd stock height? or what would be good??
Old 05-09-2003, 06:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have no complaints on My Bilstiens. 2-4 Hotchkis drop on a light step side.
Old 05-09-2003, 07:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, most of the time, the truck rides real smooth, and it still feels stout, like a tight sports car. It's just that two of the freeways that I drive going back and forth to work are real bad. It is real bad almost all the way to work, then about 1/2 the way home is bad also. For almost all other driving, it feels fine.

Since getting the kit, I actually peel out less then when the truck was stock. I just think most all trucks are pretty traction limited without weight in the rear. You should get less wheel hop with these stiffer springs since the hop comes from the leaf binding, then unbinding, or flexing until it snaps back. It's just a matter of traction, or getting something to force the rear end down better. I got a torque arm on my last mustang, and I run ProRunner Bars on my Tundra. Both of those were chit when it came to traction, but both gripped about 50 percent better when I added traction devices. The tire choice is going to make a big difference also.

In the two Lightnings that I have driven, those even with a 4link suspension requires feathering the throttle to get it to launch nice. My Supercharger Tundra hooks up better than a lightning, with stock leafs, and some traction bars. I did loose a little offroad flex, but that won't matter on a two wheel drive sports truck, you don't need that much travel on the street anyway.

If you got nice roads, the Edelbrocks will be fine! I am going to put my stock ones on for a little then drive around for about a week, and see how that feels. I think that with the superstiff valving on these shocks, that is what causes the bouncing and ruff ride on bad roads. If the stocks feel better, then I will go with the lightly valved Toxic shocks, or Bilstiens. I think the variable rate of the Edelbrocks is what causes the heavy bounces. I never notice the jarring until I get to pretty bad roads, that cause the whole vehicle to bounce quickly cuasing these shocks to automatically go to the stiffer setting.

I will post back in about a day if I feel a difference. Hotchkis recommended the Edelbrock IAS shocks over everything else, but the guy I talked to, didn't know what else was tested on the truck setups.