Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

What should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2004, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should I get?

I've got about $600-$700 to spend. Heres what I've been considering.
1. ASP pulley + E-fans
2. 2800-3000 stall converter + B&M trans cooler
3. cowl hood
4. having cam installed
Old 08-08-2004, 05:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by gmc5.3L
I've got about $600-$700 to spend. Heres what I've been considering.
1. ASP pulley + E-fans
2. 2800-3000 stall converter + B&M trans cooler
3. cowl hood
4. having cam installed
CAM or STALL. your call

i personally think theres nothing like having a cammed up vehicle
Old 08-08-2004, 06:04 PM
12 Second Truck Club

The cam would be nice since you wont have to worry about wheelspin as the power comes in much higher in RPM.

I think ALL our trucks should use a converter but that's just me. Only problem I see with it in your truck is that you are 2wd and with all your other bolt-ons you might not get to use it to it's full effect because of wheelspin.
Old 08-08-2004, 06:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If he gets a 212/218 or greater, he'll have to have a stall in to enjoy it. That means stall first, cam second.
Old 08-08-2004, 06:11 PM
TECH Addict

Can you install the converter?? You can get one used for $400-$450 and I paid $250 for install. Cam install was quoted for me at $200, thats for cam, springs, and pushrods. Im sure you could find someone to help you out with the cam install. Many here say it isnt too terribly difficult. I like to pay pros to do it since Im a retard.
Getting the truck back with cam and stall done at once would be exciting
Old 08-08-2004, 06:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Wouldn't you want to do a cam before a stall? After you install a cam, you'll be able to spot out your dead spots in your rpm down low. After pin pointing where your cam starts to come alive, wouldn't you just try to find a stall to match the end of your cams dead spot?

Alot of missing information to this question, but I was just wondering about that subject in particular. Any thoughts?
Old 08-08-2004, 06:26 PM
12 Second Club

cam or 3.73's + eaton posi
Old 08-08-2004, 06:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SportSide 5.3
Wouldn't you want to do a cam before a stall? After you install a cam, you'll be able to spot out your dead spots in your rpm down low. After pin pointing where your cam starts to come alive, wouldn't you just try to find a stall to match the end of your cams dead spot?

Alot of missing information to this question, but I was just wondering about that subject in particular. Any thoughts?
Thats a great point!!
Old 08-08-2004, 07:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SportSide 5.3
If he doesn't mind driving around with no power down low, I guess the answer is yes. Ideally, getting a cam and finding out how/where it falls off, then immediately thereafter getting a stall, like you said, would be the way to go. But the impression I got was that he only had $700 to spend. I didn't hear $700 now, then $700 in a month. If all he has is $700, he should get a stall only, which will put him into higher RPM's quickly where there is more power.
Old 08-08-2004, 07:15 PM
12 Second Truck Club

You are correct in that you should have the package setup first then dyno it and see where you make peak power. Problem with that is, pretty much any cam choice you have has already been done by one of us so you can easily find out where you're gonna make peak HP with your mods and your actual HP/TQ within 20rwhp or so which is not going to effect converter choice/build much at all.

Also since this is not a race car do you really need to be that specific? Unless you call and talk to Mike Senia personally to build you a custom converter I highly doubt you're gona get one SPECIFIC to your truck. maybe PI will do that but I'm not sure if any of em do or if they give you an off the shelf model.

Either route you go you'll do fine as long as you are following whatever goal you have in mind for the truck in the end. IMO a big cam is gonna suck unless you do a converter, even gears are not going to help as much plus they give you crappy milage :p So just make sure you have a end goal in mind and are on track with whichever mods you choose.