Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

what should be my next mod?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 12:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

converter is installed!! took 3 days by myself mostly...alot of patience and alot of learning...everything came out great! stall feels awesome and now launches great...one small issue tho..i did notice that its only stalling to about 2800-2900 but its a 3200 stall..i checked the oil yesterday after a couple of laps driving with the stall and oil level semmed fine...after today i checked it and its about half a quarter inch under the hashmarks so i gotta add more oil...my question is will the added oil get the stall to go up to 3200? thats the only thing that kind of dissapointed me a bit...another thing is that it will still not break the tires loose..it really wants to but they still hold on..im running nitto 420s are these tires pretty sticky? i know with my stock 17s it should do the trick..it stalled on me a couple of times but im still waiting on my retune from black bear...stall feels great tho from a launch and deffenetly funner to play with at low speeds..although i do feel that i will notice a drop in my MPGs
Old 06-03-2014, 12:46 AM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

The retune should help. He will be able to add more timing down low. Won't be night and day though.

I'd like to see a video of it in action. Are you referring to brake stall or flash speed? See what it flashes to when you mash the throttle from a stop. Thats a more true indication.

And congrats on getting this thing in!! Great work. It's no small task and I'm sure you feel great about it.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Vortec350ss
The retune should help. He will be able to add more timing down low. Won't be night and day though.

I'd like to see a video of it in action. Are you referring to brake stall or flash speed? See what it flashes to when you mash the throttle from a stop. Thats a more true indication.

And congrats on getting this thing in!! Great work. It's no small task and I'm sure you feel great about it.
actually both...from a dead stop just mashing the pedal it jumps to 2800-2900...dnt get me wrong it feels great..but i still payed for a 3200..is this normal?? or common..man do i feel awesome about it...was no easy task forsure...halfway through it i just thought to myself "what did i get myself into" tranny wouldnt drop because of the transfer case hitting the rear crossmember..but with ALOT of patience and two jacks it cleared less that 1/8th enough to go low enough to get the converter out...the top bolts from the tranny where also a huge pain..but i learned alot and can now say im able to do a stall swap..awesome feeling and thanks to alot of info on this site
Old 06-03-2014, 01:13 AM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

A lot of it has to do with the torque you're making too. It could be a lot due to your elevation hurting power levels.

The FTI I run in my DD is true to its stall speed of 3000 or a tad more but thats a 6.0 with L92 heads and an LS6 cam.

Let's wait and see if anything changes with a tune. I don't really expect it to but you never know. The stock tunes are set up to pull timing when they see that much converter slip to keep it from hurting anything.
Old 06-03-2014, 01:35 AM
On The Tree

that makes sense..thanks! we will see how it responds with the retune...on the plus side i beat a silverado ss the other day from a 30 roll..not the fastest tahoe but hey if my tahoe can beat a silverado ss now im pretty satisfied with the power its making