Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

What should my next modification be?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 11:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What should my next modification be?

not really sure on your next mod however i do have a couple questions if you dont' mind answering. First how does the HPPIII do with the cam? Seems that you could probably use some edit to better enhance what you have built so far and two, how do you like the thorleys? Right now it is a toss up for me to get thorleys or as&m's or hamms. Let me know.
Um i love my thorley headers. it gave a very noticeable gain on top end. it pulls alot better from 70-100 since i stuck them on. And about the hypertech. I wouldnt suggest u use Hpp3 with this cam. i was gonna use predator but it doesnt allow u to wrap your motor as high as i want to and edit is to expensive and way to complicating for me. i think im gonna get ed wright to tune it. i know there is probaly 10-15 hp left in my truck when i get it tuned good. hope that helps....oh and BTW some more about the thorleys they are just as good as the others u mentioned and sell for $440. which is very good price...
Old 08-01-2003, 11:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

6.0, and a set of patriot performance heads...stick the cam you have already in there and you're cookin
how much would a 6.0 cost ? and if i get heads does any1 know what kind i should get? and how much it will cost? thanks...
Old 08-02-2003, 12:21 AM
Banned

patroit's heads are 1295+ shipping for stage 2 5.3 and 5.7 heads. they come standard with a dual valve springs 2.02 1.57 valves and ti retainers. they are cnc macnined. i could see you getting a 6.0 for 700 and the heads for 1300ish and put the cam you already have in there and you've got a pretty potent motor. i would go with a bigger cam though with the heads and the stall that you already have. maybe something like an MTI hammer cam or something like that...but that's just me(i like top end power...you can spray from a dig to get moving) most others might try to get you to stay away from a cam that big. it's totally up to you though, but that would be a hell of a setup. pretty much what i'm going to do until i get my forged 382 all bore built. (but my plans change almost like the texas weather)
Old 08-02-2003, 01:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

patroit's heads are 1295+ shipping for stage 2 5.3 and 5.7 heads. they come standard with a dual valve springs 2.02 1.57 valves and ti retainers. they are cnc macnined. i could see you getting a 6.0 for 700 and the heads for 1300ish and put the cam you already have in there and you've got a pretty potent motor. i would go with a bigger cam though with the heads and the stall that you already have. maybe something like an MTI hammer cam or something like that...but that's just me(i like top end power...you can spray from a dig to get moving) most others might try to get you to stay away from a cam that big. it's totally up to you though, but that would be a hell of a setup. pretty much what i'm going to do until i get my forged 382 all bore built. (but my plans change almost like the texas weather)
Sounds good to me but i must be missing something. U said i could probaly get a 6.0 for $700? your talkin about a whole motor arent you? maybe u meant $7000?
Old 08-02-2003, 01:57 AM
Banned

no, you can get an entire 6.0 for 700-1000 if you look around enough. i got mine for 750 with no heads...but i knew the guy i got it from and trust him to not sell me something that's been abused so i spent the extra cash on it. you can pick up a long block 6.0 for well under a grand any day and spend the rest on heads...sell your cam and get a the hammer cam GREG(fast4.6) has for sell and you're the new bad *** on the block
Old 08-02-2003, 02:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

no, you can get an entire 6.0 for 700-1000 if you look around enough. i got mine for 750 with no heads...but i knew the guy i got it from and trust him to not sell me something that's been abused so i spent the extra cash on it. you can pick up a long block 6.0 for well under a grand any day and spend the rest on heads...sell your cam and get a the hammer cam GREG(fast4.6) has for sell and you're the new bad *** on the block
thats sweet i shoulda thought of this earlier. i found one on scoggin dickeys for $695, but all it is, is a bare block? what all did yours come with? sorry for all the dumb Q's. thanks
Old 08-02-2003, 02:20 AM
Banned

mine was block, mains, crank, rods, pistons, cam thrust plate, stock cam, timing set, oil pump, lifters/retainers. i could have gotten a better deal probably but like i said i trust the guy very much. you can find a complete motor with front and rear covers for a very reasonable price. you might even look for one without heads since that will cost less. then buy some Patriot performance stage 2 5.3 heads and then pull your stock motor and send in the stock 5.3 heads and get your core charge back. i can see you doing a heads/bigger cam 6.0 within your budget. i could anyways.
Old 08-02-2003, 02:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

mine was block, mains, crank, rods, pistons, cam thrust plate, stock cam, timing set, oil pump, lifters/retainers. i could have gotten a better deal probably but like i said i trust the guy very much. you can find a complete motor with front and rear covers for a very reasonable price. you might even look for one without heads since that will cost less. then buy some Patriot performance stage 2 5.3 heads and then pull your stock motor and send in the stock 5.3 heads and get your core charge back. i can see you doing a heads/bigger cam 6.0 within your budget. i could anyways.
do u know how many miles yours has on it? And where am i gonna find a deal like you got? And how much more power will a 6.0 offer vs. just putting different heads on my 5.3? thanks alot, you have been a big help!
Old 08-02-2003, 02:27 AM
TECH Addict

okie talk to SILENT1, he has done all of this so far. 5.3 with stage 3 heads and a 5.7 with stage 3 heads as well. send him a pm and he will answer all questions you have
Old 08-02-2003, 02:34 AM
Banned

a 6.0 is going to make a ton more torque and quite a bit more horsepower mod for mod compared to your 5.3. with heads and cam on an otherwise stock 6.0 block there's fbody guys making well over 400 at the tires with a decent cam(215/220 .534/.534) and good heads, so if you went with a slightly bigger cam you'd make a good bit more power. the 6.0 is basically an all bore 364 cubic inch 5.3 motor i guess you could say. it makes great power, this is why i'm going to use one in my ride till i can finish the big motor. what part of oklahoma are you from?

Quick Reply: What should my next modification be?