Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

What size single exhaust are you running, 600 rwhp and up?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 08:01 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why not just run a 4"DP with an ecutout on it then neck it down to 3" to keep the corsa. When you really need the extra punch of the 4" exhaust hit the cutout.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Resonance with the Magnaflow above 2000 rpm is good in my truck. Not so good under that. Dual 2.5 in and out. Sorry if thats not cooking in your kitchen.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe my truck is the exception, I know a lot of guys run cutouts, but my truck runs like crap on the bottom end when I open my cutouts. Bogs big time. Would need a dual tune at minimum. With and without cotouts open.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:10 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't have any resonance with magnaflow setup, but I am running 2 in series and dumped after the axle.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:49 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Why not just run a 4"DP with an ecutout on it then neck it down to 3" to keep the corsa. When you really need the extra punch of the 4" exhaust hit the cutout.
Eh, if I do that I need to buy a GOOD cutout, the QTP sucks and I don't want to pay to have it fixed again. Then I'll have to wire it in, and I really don't want to run any additional electronics. I figure that by the time I buy a good cutout I could probably have paid for the parts to build a 4" exhaust setup.

Sounds like Magnaflow might be worth looking into.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:14 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thunder550

How was the resonance in cab? I've heard mixed reviews about Magnaflow and resonance.
well it depends on rpm. in mine with the TT3000 getting up to speed when its trucking at 2500 rpm or higher you can hear it. after lock up it queit as can be. when i first put on my muffler the wife was like WTF why is it so quiet. then i stomped it and she was like oh there it is. lol

for my 4" muffler i used the really long one they have. it bearly fit up in there but it was worth it for interstate use.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:32 PM
GFYS and STFU

I don't have a vid of my exhaust now but I did a e-cut-out right after the turbo and when closed I bought and ran the exhaust through a stock muffler.
It sounds close to if not completely stock when closed and when opened it sounds like a alcohol boat. If your really gonna go with full exhaust and no cut-out then do a single (dual has more internal surface area to overcome, I know it sounds stupid but it hurts exhaust flow) 4-inch. At low RPM's it will probably rumble a little too much but at WOT it will breath effortlessly.
btw is this how your gonna widen the distance from Kyle? What's he running?
Old 12-18-2007, 04:41 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He's got a home made exhaust kit and a Warlock muffler with a built-in cut out. I don't want to mess with a cut out, just another moving piece to potentially break, and I'm sick of adding electrical **** to my truck. I want it there and ready to go all the time. It's gonna get at least a 4" single all the way back(already decided against duals). I'm tossing around the idea of doing a 4" downpipe then expanding to a 5" exhaust too. I wouldn't mind running a giant muffler to quiet things down either.

Last time he ran here in town he put down a 12.79 ET at something like 105 mph. I ran a 12.74, so he was right there with me. That was when I was on 8 psi though. I'm gonna try to run it at 12 and see what happens this weekend.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:42 PM
GFYS and STFU

I don't have a video of it but I will next time I go back out but the number one force to overcome for ship in the ocean is Hull drag. If you ever go out on a positive displacement vessel and look at the hull at the waterline you'll see 4 or 5 layers of sheering of the water. Basically put if the ship is doing 20 knot you'll have several layers of water maybe 3inches wide going different speeds from 20kt at the hull, to 16kt, 12kt, 8kt, 4kt until 0 where the water isn't being dragged by the ship. It takes alot of force to sheer any medium weather it be a fluid or a gas such as your exhaust (granted it's less being it's a gas). The less surface area in your exhaust with the most volume will net you the best flowing exhaust.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A guy I know has a 800RWHP camaro, not sure what size turbo but big, he did 4inch

Quick Reply: What size single exhaust are you running, 600 rwhp and up?