Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

What transmissions bolt up to the 4.8/5.3/6.0?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 11:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What transmissions bolt up to the 4.8/5.3/6.0?

Are there any manuals that will bolt up? Particually the Borg Warner 6-speed out of the Fbodies or is that a no-go? I'm looking at options here (this isn't for my truck) and i'm wanting to know which transmissions will bolt up to the 4.8/5.3/6.0 motors before I get into things.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 11-18-2004, 12:00 PM
MOOBIES Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve, all of the transmissions are interchangeable. The T56, 4L60/65-E, 4L80/85-E, NV-3500....what's the goal, though? Performance, or just being able to "row your own?"
Old 11-18-2004, 12:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Scream
Steve, all of the transmissions are interchangeable. The T56, 4L60/65-E, 4L80/85-E, NV-3500....what's the goal, though? Performance, or just being able to "row your own?"
Thanks, that is great news! Performance will be the main goal. How hard is it to adapt the 5.3 intake to the intake of the LS1? I'm looking into engine swap possibilities for my firebird so clearance will be a big issue. The LS1 prices are crazy (people want 3-5k for a setup it seems like) where I could get a 5.3 and a tranny for half that easily and build it stronger than the stock LS1 in the first place The car is already a 5-speed so I'd like to keep it a manual if possible. I know an auto with a nice stall will be faster, but I want to "row my own" as you say

I'm trying to figure out what all I'll need for the swap...Obviously the 5.3 and a tranny, computer, harness, etc. LS1 front K-member so the engine will have something to mount to, new posi rear end and driveshaft, what am I leaving out? What will be needed to make the gauges work? I would probably go to an LS1 T/A cluster so I would think things would work ok there. I know i'm leaving more stuff out, so if i blatently missed anything please let me know!
Old 11-18-2004, 12:27 PM
MOOBIES Moderator

I wish I knew for sure what to suggest, but my gut instinct is to just sell the sixer and pick up a used LS1 car. Wiring, guages, tranny, added weight of the iron vs. aluminum block, switching over to the car accessories (I don't know if the truck accessories will fit, so if you wanna keep A/C, you would more than likely have to swap out ALL of the accessories, which isn't cheap.)

Have you looked around in the hybrid section? There might be some better swap info over there.
Old 11-18-2004, 04:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

I wish I knew for sure what to suggest, but my gut instinct is to just sell the sixer and pick up a used LS1 car. Wiring, guages, tranny, added weight of the iron vs. aluminum block, switching over to the car accessories (I don't know if the truck accessories will fit, so if you wanna keep A/C, you would more than likely have to swap out ALL of the accessories, which isn't cheap.)

Have you looked around in the hybrid section? There might be some better swap info over there.
Yeah, everybody just tells me to buy another car...I've owned this car since I was 16 (22 now) so i'm kinda looking at keeping it and doing what I want since I know how the car has been treated and know its still in good shape. Most of these 5.3+tranny (stock auto) ones come with everything ready to drop in, I just don't know how well everything will fit since its kinda tight under the hood. I'm mostly thinking outloud right now since I won't be able to do this for awhile (car is daily driver right now)
Old 11-19-2004, 12:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Oh yeah, I forgot to ask you...when you put the LS1 into your truck did it come as a complete unit or only the longblock where you swapped everything over from your 4.8?
Old 11-19-2004, 12:23 PM
MOOBIES Moderator

It was just the longblock. All of the truck accessories bolted right up to the aluminum block. If you use the car accessories on an iron block, there is one hole (don't remember which one) that you have to drill/tap, but it will work.

Unless you're planning on doing a full-tilt motor where you'll be replacing a lot of the stock stuff (heads, intake manifold, headers, etc) I still think it might be cheaper to get a LS1/T56 pull-out than trying to piece everything together. Although, stock pieces might not be THAT hard to find.

There's a place in south FL that deals in a late model F-car parts, I'll PM you their contact info.
Old 11-19-2004, 03:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

It was just the longblock. All of the truck accessories bolted right up to the aluminum block. If you use the car accessories on an iron block, there is one hole (don't remember which one) that you have to drill/tap, but it will work.

Unless you're planning on doing a full-tilt motor where you'll be replacing a lot of the stock stuff (heads, intake manifold, headers, etc) I still think it might be cheaper to get a LS1/T56 pull-out than trying to piece everything together. Although, stock pieces might not be THAT hard to find.

There's a place in south FL that deals in a late model F-car parts, I'll PM you their contact info.
Thank you for the help, its really appreciated
Old 03-15-2020, 02:26 PM

im looking to put a new transmission in my 2000 chevy 1500 it has a 5.3l and the 4l60e behind it. im not a fan of theses transmissions and would like to know what is a better option.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

well like stated above, you have many options it just depends on your goals for the truck and what kind of driving you like to do.....

Quick Reply: What transmissions bolt up to the 4.8/5.3/6.0?