Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

what wires to splice into for an A/F ratio gage?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2004, 11:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what wires to splice into for an A/F ratio gage?

which wire is it on the front two O2 sensors? or is it just one that is needed?
thanks for the info.
Old 01-10-2004, 11:50 PM
11 Second Club

none, send the christmas light show back and get something that you can actually use, like tranny temp or something.

only use one wire!! it can be tapped under the electrical center box, but i don't remember what color it is. purple i think.
Old 01-10-2004, 11:50 PM
12 Second Truck Club

purple or purple/white depending on which side.
Old 01-11-2004, 12:05 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Texas Terminator
none, send the christmas light show back and get something that you can actually use, like tranny temp or something.

only use one wire!! it can be tapped under the electrical center box, but i don't remember what color it is. purple i think.
hmmm had this one for a while. figures id go ahead and get it wired up. nothin better todo right now. if i had a trans gage i would put it in but alas i dont have one, and cant buy one right now. so i do with what i got.
so purple it is thats what i thought but im getting an ses light since doing it. do i need to go to both or just one O2 sensor? im thinking this might be causing my problem but cant be for sure untill tomorrow when i can borrow a predator to scan for the code
Old 01-11-2004, 12:11 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01 Thunder
hmmm had this one for a while. figures id go ahead and get it wired up. nothin better todo right now. if i had a trans gage i would put it in but alas i dont have one, and cant buy one right now. so i do with what i got.
so purple it is thats what i thought but im getting an ses light since doing it. do i need to go to both or just one O2 sensor? im thinking this might be causing my problem but cant be for sure untill tomorrow when i can borrow a predator to scan for the code
DEFINATELY DO NOT WIRE TO BOTH!! did you catch that? there are more than one purple wire under there, so, just make sure that you get the right one. ok, i just looked. mine is connected to the purple/white stripe in the split loom coming out of the electrical center going to the motor. be sure to solder it too.
Old 01-11-2004, 12:20 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Texas Terminator
DEFINATELY DO NOT WIRE TO BOTH!! did you catch that?
oh ****!!!!
Old 01-11-2004, 12:34 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01 Thunder
oh ****!!!!
oh no you didn't! as long as they were for sure both O2 wires, you SHOULD be alright. the ECM would probably just see too high of a voltage, hence your SES light, we hope.
Old 01-11-2004, 12:39 AM
12 Second Club

well i hooked them up to purple wires on both O2s . they are no longer connected. when the SES light came on i unhooked them. it also began to idle rough and shake the truck back and for. had a big lope to it.
Old 01-11-2004, 10:05 AM
12 Second Club

I've been trying to get this dynotune.org air/fuel switch+guage to work, and right now I have the o2 wire tapped right after the sensor (the blue wire, which turns into purpe+white after the connector down there) and I get a reading that is too high (like 1.15V )

Should I try to find the wire that is in the loom coming from the computer or tap into the wire after the connector? I thought at first that reading the signal right out of the sensor would give me the most accurate info, but I guess the signal is too strong or something.......there are two black wires (heaters i suppose), the blue wire, and a white wire (which I think is ground) - so since I'm reading .2 to 1V during cruizing I think I have the right one, but is it just tapped into the wrong spot?
Old 01-11-2004, 12:17 PM
12 Second Club

OK I tried the purple/white stripe wire that is just after the connector to the o2 sensor wires. It still reads way too high at 1.18. The predator reads the correct voltage at .9xx

I checked the wire with a volt meter as well, and it reads the same as the guage. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? If I accidentaly tapped into the ground wire (which sounds unlikely since you guys are saying its the purple/white stripe wire), wouldn't it just not work? It jumps around from .2 to 1.xx while cruising just like a normal a/f guage would, but at WOT its stuck at a high voltage for some reason......it needs to be about .3mV less to be correct

any thoughts?

Quick Reply: what wires to splice into for an A/F ratio gage?