Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

what wires to splice into for an A/F ratio gage?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2004, 12:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

*my thoughts*.......you have a screwed up O2 sensor , I see about 1.2v on one of my O2 sensors (bank 1, sensor 1)...but that is also the O2 sensor that will occasionally read 0.0 for extended amounts of time too so I need to replace that one soon
Old 01-11-2004, 12:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Predator says that the PCM reads .920 for that o2 sensor......so wouldn't that mean its ok?

Would the guage of wire I'm using to tap into the sensor wire have anything to do w/it? It is a larger wire than the sensor wires...
Old 01-12-2004, 04:25 PM
12 Second Club

well I tried using a smaller guage wire and the reading didn't change. My only other option is to try tapping into a different wire, even tho I'm 99% sure that I have the right one already.

Would tapping into the sensor wire closer to the pcm or fuse box yeild lower voltage because of the wire length? I'm desperate at this point.......Ive tried a different power source from the fuse box and different ground (for the guage), tried tapping into the wire at two different locations, and tried a smaller guage wire. And still, the guage does not read the same as the computer (predator). If it was right, at 1.18V I would be so rich that the truck would be blowing smoke and would be a total dog - which is not the case. I guess I could try tapping into the other o2 sensor, but I dont think that will solve anything.
Old 01-12-2004, 04:39 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by O3GMC
well I tried using a smaller guage wire and the reading didn't change. My only other option is to try tapping into a different wire, even tho I'm 99% sure that I have the right one already.

Would tapping into the sensor wire closer to the pcm or fuse box yeild lower voltage because of the wire length? I'm desperate at this point.......Ive tried a different power source from the fuse box and different ground (for the guage), tried tapping into the wire at two different locations, and tried a smaller guage wire. And still, the guage does not read the same as the computer (predator). If it was right, at 1.18V I would be so rich that the truck would be blowing smoke and would be a total dog - which is not the case. I guess I could try tapping into the other o2 sensor, but I dont think that will solve anything.
nope. that would just be a difference in resistance. if anything, a larger guage wire will give a better reading, but, since the total operating resistance is so low in this case, it won't matter. tap it in the split loom coming out of the electrical box on the drivers side.
Old 01-12-2004, 05:22 PM
12 Second Club

I tried the passenger side o2 sensor as well, with no luck

Do you think tapping into the loom will make it read any different? If it is the same wire going to the same source then wouldn't it read the same? Or does the length of wire have to do with the voltage?

thanks for the help
Old 01-12-2004, 11:41 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by O3GMC
I tried the passenger side o2 sensor as well, with no luck

Do you think tapping into the loom will make it read any different? If it is the same wire going to the same source then wouldn't it read the same? Or does the length of wire have to do with the voltage?

thanks for the help
the location or the length of the wire has nothing to do with it. why am i bothering to write this anymore! tap the damn thing in the split loom just outside the freaking electrical center like i said. if that doesn't work, you have other problems or have the wrong wire.
Old 01-12-2004, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Texas Terminator
the location or the length of the wire has nothing to do with it. why am i bothering to write this anymore! tap the damn thing in the split loom just outside the freaking electrical center like i said. if that doesn't work, you have other problems or have the wrong wire.

you sound pissed, sit back, relax and enjoy the .... i dunno.. but just chill man, we are all brothers here on this site.

except pewter03, but still..
Old 01-12-2004, 11:56 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Deckhand
you sound pissed, sit back, relax and enjoy the .... i dunno.. but just chill man, we are all brothers here on this site.

except pewter03, but still..
yea, maybe i am a little pissed. i was a GM mechanic at one time. i am giving accurate information, but nobody is listening. read back a bit. and i know we are all here to help one another, i do my best to be patient and give and take what i can, just when nobody pays attention to the help......................nevermind. i give up. good luck.
Old 01-13-2004, 08:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

understandable, lets have a couple on me.

Old 01-13-2004, 10:14 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Deckhand
understandable, lets have a couple on me.

um, ok. you gonna fedex the cerveza to me? that's a long way to go for a beer!

Quick Reply: what wires to splice into for an A/F ratio gage?