Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

What is your oil pressure with your LS6 Oil Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 01:06 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What is your oil pressure with your LS6 Oil Pump?

I am getting a little over 40 at idle and a little over 60 at WOT. I thought with it being a ls6 pump and it being ported from thunder my pressure would be higher. I thought it would be higher than what it is and it takes about 2-3 seconds to get up to full pressure when I start it up. Im starting to think I possibly could not have gotten the O-ring seated on the pickup good.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have about 55 cruising, and 60-70 wot. Mine is not ported though. With the ported oil pump, it would make sense to have less pressure since it's ported. It would flow more volume with less pressure. Make sense?
Old 09-12-2005, 01:22 PM

Makes sense I just wanted to make sure I wasnt running my engine dry thats the last hing I need right now I have spent just about everyday for the last 3 weeks working on it and Im tired.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Makes sense I just wanted to make sure I wasnt running my engine dry thats the last hing I need right now I have spent just about everyday for the last 3 weeks working on it and Im tired.
That sounds extremely familiar .

When I had the bad o-ring. The max oil pressure I could get was about 45 at wot. So, you're probably good.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:29 PM
TECH Addict

mine runs about 45-50 at idle and about 60 cruising then when i get on it it almost burries the guage. this is with the stock pump. im going to start working on mine if i ever get all the parts in
Old 09-12-2005, 02:10 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fogle04
mine runs about 45-50 at idle and about 60 cruising then when i get on it it almost burries the guage. this is with the stock pump. im going to start working on mine if i ever get all the parts in
Old 09-12-2005, 02:57 PM

I just talked to Thunder Racing and they told me my truck at idle should be around 25-30psi hot 40cold and 65-80psi at WOT. Does that sound right? If that is right then my oil pressure is almost dead on then. I get about 65-68 at WOT and 42 cold idle don’t know off the top of my head at hot idle. I just thought I remembered my oil pressure being higher at WOT. I dunno maybe I just wasn’t really paying attention. mine is usually at 60 while cruising so I guess Im good then definately not enought to worry about to warrant tearing the whole damn thing apart to check an o-ring. My truck is getting a new temp sensor, stock rocker arms back on, the readjusted stall that will stall to 3400 instead of the 2500 it does now and Im done. I have constantly been working on my POS and dont feel like working on it anymore. Thanks for the input guys.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:02 PM
TECH Addict

allen said you where having some problems. what happened with it?
Old 09-12-2005, 03:15 PM

One of my buddies was helping me put some stock rocker arms on my truck and he hit the temp sensor with the wrench and broke the little plastic piece that holds the plug into the temp probe so it kept popping out. So when it came disconnected my truck thought it was negative 38* outside then when it would make contact it would read the correct temp and it was really messing with Allen while he was trying to tune it. When I put the roller rockers on I didn’t quite shave the inside of the valve cover good enough so when the engine would heat up and the head would expand a little bit the rockers would start making a sewing machine noise I got that all worked at and the rockers set right but now I need money so Im taking them back off to sell them which sucks cause they are really nice rockers and they give a nice performance gain and make the cam feel bigger since they basically increase the lift and duration of the cam a little bit. BTW the rockers are in the classifieds if anyone is interested. It pisses me off cause I just got them set right and now I need to get rid of them.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
I just talked to Thunder Racing and they told me my truck at idle should be around 25-30psi hot 40cold and 65-80psi at WOT. Does that sound right? If that is right then my oil pressure is almost dead on then. I get about 65-68 at WOT and 42 cold idle don’t know off the top of my head at hot idle. I just thought I remembered my oil pressure being higher at WOT. I dunno maybe I just wasn’t really paying attention. mine is usually at 60 while cruising so I guess Im good then definately not enought to worry about to warrant tearing the whole damn thing apart to check an o-ring. My truck is getting a new temp sensor, stock rocker arms back on, the readjusted stall that will stall to 3400 instead of the 2500 it does now and Im done. I have constantly been working on my POS and dont feel like working on it anymore. Thanks for the input guys.
Not unless the pump has been shimmed.

My LS6 pump is making 45-46 at idle and 68-70 at cruise.

Quick Reply: What is your oil pressure with your LS6 Oil Pump?