Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

What's the point of drive by wire?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2004, 02:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the point of drive by wire?

What's the point of drive by wire on the 03 and later trucks?

I don't see any reason for it. In '02 I was under the assumption that the throttle would be closing on the shifts, or it might act more like a manual transmission vehicle like Jag automatics do. I thought torque management would have all been taken care of by the computer controlled throttle body cable. Well you know, none of that is the case.

I honestly like to see the throttle snap shut on the shifts rather than having timing pulled out.

I want to see a couple of tables that I can edit that determine the 'length in time' and the 'extent in percent' of the closing.

I want RPM's to closely match the next gear coming in, rather than "power shifting" and forcing a slide on the clutches like the automatics do now.

I want to run a shift kit to make the shifts quicker, without making them harsh - or having to 'detune' them via shift pressures that allow back a little more slip into the shifts.

Old 11-05-2004, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

You Can Wish In One Hand And **** In The Other.
Old 11-05-2004, 06:08 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate drive by wire...not sure why GM wants it, but from what I learned at Toyota school it's all about keeping engine vibrations out of the cabin. No accelerator cable to transmit the vibrations...load of crap if you ask me. I think it's all about perfecting a system for when hybrids are the norm, maybe. I feel that it's over engineering, some things are best left simple and straight forward in my opinion.
Old 11-05-2004, 06:19 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i dont know what that first post even said. my 99 was cable and my truck now is DBW. i have had no problems with it at all. it actualy cleans up th engine compartment a little with no throttle cable and no cruze moduel and cable. i think it kicks ***.
Old 11-05-2004, 06:29 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought the main reason they first developed it was for traction control, but it seems to have made its way to cars without traction control. It also seems to simplify the cruise control from a component standpoint. Maybe it allows for a better way to limit rpm that pulling the spark out? Probably used when you hit the speed limiter and rev limiter. It may also function as part of the "limp home" mode that is stored in the compters in case of component failure.
Old 11-05-2004, 06:43 PM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=mzoomora]Maybe it allows for a better way to limit rpm that pulling the spark out? Probably used when you hit the speed limiter and rev limiter.QUOTE]

I know before I had the speed limiter on my truck removed that right at 99 mph the throttle plate would close and the truck would just run like it was on cruise control, unlike the older trucks that pull spark and fall on their face until the speed comes back down. I could tell this was happening because the intake manifold would go under vac. So it is used at least as a top speed limiter.
Old 11-05-2004, 11:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

The only complaint I have about it is that the peddle doesn't follow the cruise. I always liked to keep my foot on the peddle and feel what the cruise control was doing, but with the DBW throttle, that doesn't work like that.
Old 11-06-2004, 05:39 AM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

wow. i think i like my cable tb. but i do like the clean look of the DBW.i think [parish found how to tune around that sucker.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:30 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by parish8
i dont know what that first post even said. my 99 was cable and my truck now is DBW. i have had no problems with it at all. it actualy cleans up th engine compartment a little with no throttle cable and no cruze moduel and cable. i think it kicks ***.
What I was trying to say is, why the heck is it there, if it's not really taken advantage of? There seems to be a lot of things it's good for that GM ignored.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by marc_w
What I was trying to say is, why the heck is it there, if it's not really taken advantage of? There seems to be a lot of things it's good for that GM ignored.
the reason the do it is versatility in manufacturing, and its cheaper to them.

Quick Reply: What's the point of drive by wire?