Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Wheel speed sensor replacement....

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 08:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel speed sensor replacement....

I just received a call from the dealership after dropping the truck off for the handling/braking problems I mention last week over in the Drivetrain and Suspension forum.

According to the mechanic and what I guessed, there's a few stored codes indicating that both front wheel speed sensors are failing. There's 2 options for repairs, definate fix by replacing both hub assemblies(~$1000) or a probable fix by replacing both wheel speed sensors (~$400).

I don't have my manuals handy here at work, so what's all involved with this? This sounds like something I can do by myself and safe some $$$. Where are the wheel speed sensors located? Pics?

Thanks!
Old 05-25-2005, 09:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

The sensors are mounted in the wheel hub/bearing assembly, not hard to get at, you just have to remove the brake rotor.

There is a recall on ABS sensors, corroision gets behind the sensor and lifts the sensor farther away from the sensor ring, giving a lower wheel speed reading. This causes the abs to turn on at low speeds. I think the recall is only in areas that see a lot of road salt.

A good way to test the sensors is to plug a volt meter into to the sensor plug, set it to AC mv's, and spin the wheel, you should get a reading of 500mv+. If you get a low reading (150-300mv) the sensor may need to be cleaned.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Black02Z71
The sensors are mounted in the wheel hub/bearing assembly, not hard to get at, you just have to remove the brake rotor.

There is a recall on ABS sensors, corroision gets behind the sensor and lifts the sensor farther away from the sensor ring, giving a lower wheel speed reading. This causes the abs to turn on at low speeds. I think the recall is only in areas that see a lot of road salt.

A good way to test the sensors is to plug a volt meter into to the sensor plug, set it to AC mv's, and spin the wheel, you should get a reading of 500mv+. If you get a low reading (150-300mv) the sensor may need to be cleaned.
Good info! I think I remeber that recall and had it taken care of a while back. I'll have to dig through my truck file and check it out. My ABS is activating at moderate break at speed below 40mph or so. I went ahead and ordered the sensors and they were supposed to be here today, but won't itll next tuesday now.

They had the hub assemblies in stock, but I could spend the extra $$$ somewhere else. Got a peak of them at the dealership and it looks like a pretty easy fix.
Old 05-26-2005, 07:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by OBXMarine
I just received a call from the dealership after dropping the truck off for the handling/braking problems I mention last week over in the Drivetrain and Suspension forum.

According to the mechanic and what I guessed, there's a few stored codes indicating that both front wheel speed sensors are failing. There's 2 options for repairs, definate fix by replacing both hub assemblies(~$1000) or a probable fix by replacing both wheel speed sensors (~$400).

I don't have my manuals handy here at work, so what's all involved with this? This sounds like something I can do by myself and safe some $$$. Where are the wheel speed sensors located? Pics?

Thanks!

i ahve had to change the wheel hub assimblys they are 300 each, i bought mine used for 150 each