Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

where can i find info on the 6.0 motor?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2004, 09:46 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where can i find info on the 6.0 motor?

hi, never posted in the truck forum......but now im considering a truck motor for my swap, so i thought i would come to you guys for some help. i dont know anything about the 6.0 liter truck motor.

i was going to put an ls1 in my first gen camaro. but i heard some stuff about a 6.0 truck motor.

how do these compare to an ls1?
basically what are they all about? are they the same as a 5.7 just a different bore or stroke?

im going to bore and stroke whatever i get so how far can these be safely taken and still be driven....car will be my driver in the summer.

i basically dont know anything about this engine so if anyone wants to help me out i would appreciate it.

ps. dumb question but does this motor have a name? i know it is a 6.0 liter....but the LS1 is a 5.7 but is called an LS1.
this would just make searching for info on the net easier

thanks a lot
Old 11-25-2004, 09:57 AM
TECH Addict

talk to parish he has 6.0 l in his truck he migh know
Old 11-25-2004, 11:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The LQ9 or LQ4 6.0.

LQ4 specs, clicky.
LQ9 specs, clicky.
Old 11-25-2004, 11:28 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 99Silver5.3
thanks a lot.
that helped out

is there any advantage to getting an LQ4 as opposed to an LS1 or LT1 if i am going to bore/stroke whatever i get anyways? is this the same block with just a different stroke like the 327/350 is.....or is a bigger block that i could bore and stroke to more than a 427?
cant the LS1 be taken to a 427? so can this be taken further?

in case you cant tell, im almost totaly in the dark

so basically can i make a very streetable first gen camaro that makes 450 hp at the wheels with this motor?
Old 11-25-2004, 12:31 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the 6.0 is usualy cheaper, probably stronger if you really push it, it can't be made as large as an aluminum motor but it can be made larger up to a point for less money. i think ~422 or 427 is the bigest they are going with them and that is with a prety long stroke. the 408 seems to be a very popular displacement for the 6.0's guys to step up to, it is a square motor. 4" stroke, 4.030 bore.

the 5.7 weighs less, if you sleve it you can get more cubes than the iron block and you can go with a larger bore wich is suppose to be better for hp than a long stroke.

if i was going with a swap into a 1stgen and only shooting for 450hp i would be all over the aluminum(ls1) set up. these things make some great power compared to the old school stuff. you might want to just do a nice heads and cam set up on a stock cubes and see how you like it. if you can hook you would likely be well into the 11's with it. this brings up a good question, how fast do you want to go with it?
Old 11-25-2004, 03:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by parish8
the 6.0 is usualy cheaper, probably stronger if you really push it, it can't be made as large as an aluminum motor but it can be made larger up to a point for less money. i think ~422 or 427 is the bigest they are going with them and that is with a prety long stroke. the 408 seems to be a very popular displacement for the 6.0's guys to step up to, it is a square motor. 4" stroke, 4.030 bore.

the 5.7 weighs less, if you sleve it you can get more cubes than the iron block and you can go with a larger bore wich is suppose to be better for hp than a long stroke.

if i was going with a swap into a 1stgen and only shooting for 450hp i would be all over the aluminum(ls1) set up. these things make some great power compared to the old school stuff. you might want to just do a nice heads and cam set up on a stock cubes and see how you like it. if you can hook you would likely be well into the 11's with it. this brings up a good question, how fast do you want to go with it?

i would like to be in the mid 11's and have it very streetable.
so you think i could do this with stock 350 cubes pretty easy?
Old 11-25-2004, 03:55 PM
single digit dreamer

localy a buddy of mine ran a high 11's with a cam only ta. i would think a ta is heavier than your car. with heads i think mid 11's would be doable as long as you can hook. go see what the heads and cam fbody guys are running and you should be able to do at least as well.

i am not sure how driveable those cars are, might be great i just dont know. with a heads and cam iron 408 or about any stroker motor i would think mid 11's could be done and drive beter than stock. how nice do you want it to drive? is a little lumpy and a stall ok? if so then i think going cheap with stock cubes would bet it done.
Old 11-25-2004, 04:03 PM
12 Second Truck Club

My T/A's raceweight was 3500lbs after some weight reduction and a cage.

With heads/cam, 4400stall,3.73s, typical bolt-ons, long tubes etc I ran 11.65@115.5 1.57 60'. This setup only dyno'd at 370rwhp due to spring problems so I would hit 370rwhp right around 5300rpm or so and it would just flatten out till 6700rpm. So i was obviously making better avg. powr than someone only peaking at 370rwhp at 6300rpm (where my cam should have peaked) but it gives you an idea.
Old 11-26-2004, 10:19 AM
Staging Lane

i would like it to drive good.
i dont care about a loping cam, but i dont want to be making my power at real high rmp's
it will be mainly driven on the street

i am not very confident in my ability to even do the swap very smoothly, so is one easier than the other. i heard somewhere that the 6.0 is easier to drop in, but a lot of people have done the ls1 swap so if i get stuck there is a lot of people on here that could help me out, and there also seems to be a lot of parts out there so i dont have to fabricate anything for it.

so for a pretty drivable 1st gen camaro with 450rwhp which would i be better off with? or what are some advatages/disadvatages of either
Old 11-26-2004, 10:42 AM
single digit dreamer

1st thing to understand is all of these motors are identical on the outside. the entire longblock will interchange between the 4.8/5.3/5.7/6.0 and any of these iron or aluminum strokers we are talking about. with that said no one will be easier or harder to get into your car.

just keep it cheap and simple. toss in a bone stock 5.7ls1 and see how you like it. sounds like geting the motor in will be the hard part. it sounds like geting the motor bolted in and running is going to be a prety dificult project for you(it would be for me), no point in spending a ton of money on the motor till you know you can get it in there and running. after it is in then decide how far you want to go with it. heads and cam will most likly meet all of your goals.

Quick Reply: where can i find info on the 6.0 motor?