Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

where can i find info on the 6.0 motor?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2004, 10:50 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ya.
i always knew that.....i just talk big
thats what im going to do, get everything in and running. thats probably going to take me all winter. then drive it stock for the summer and then build it up slowly.

that way will give me time to save up for parts too

thanks guys
Old 11-27-2004, 12:35 AM
Staging Lane

just realized something......
you said i can bore the aluminium block more than the iron, but i would have to sleeve the aluminium one. doesnt that cost a lot? im trying to keep my cost down.

how far can i safely bore the LQ4 or LQ9? and what cubic inches would that be?

ps. so everything is basically the same between the LS1 and the LQ9....all interchangable parts? just making sure. so a guy with an LS1 in his car could take it out and directly bolt in the LQ9?

(always doubting and changing my mind on this stuff )

where is a good place to find a 6.0 for sale?
Old 11-27-2004, 04:50 AM
sfj
TECH Enthusiast

yes the engines should be a direct bolt on and like they said if sticking with the 6.0 liter bore and stroke wise stick with the 408 works good for a lot of people even in the car forums most of them have the 408's from what i see if they have stroked engines
Old 11-27-2004, 09:20 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by sfj
yes the engines should be a direct bolt on and like they said if sticking with the 6.0 liter bore and stroke wise stick with the 408 works good for a lot of people even in the car forums most of them have the 408's from what i see if they have stroked engines
from a durablity standpoint/rebuildable standpoint.....what do the car guys do when they need to rebuild there LS1? do they need to resleeve to bore it when they do that? because thats kind of a bummer.

but im not sure how that even works....is it the same to have your car bored for a rebuild as it is when you bore for performance reasons?

could someone give me a website or something that can tell me what resleeving even is? does it have to be done when you bore an aluminium block any amount or just when its a big bore?

just looking to get as many of my questions i have now and the ones that might come up in the future answered before i get started.....and just looking to learn
Old 11-27-2004, 01:41 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can bore the stock sleves a little ways, enugh to freshen up the motor but i dont know that these things ever just wear out. i realy dont hear of people just rebuilding what they have, it is always making it bigger.
Old 11-27-2004, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by parish8
1st thing to understand is all of these motors are identical on the outside. the entire longblock will interchange between the 4.8/5.3/5.7/6.0 and any of these iron or aluminum strokers we are talking about. with that said no one will be easier or harder to get into your car.

So is the increased difficulty in putting a Camaro engine into the trucks due to the wiring changes? I thought the harnesses woudl be different, which causes the 5.7 swap into a truck to be a little more involved?

Andrew
Old 11-28-2004, 10:42 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by agreif
So is the increased difficulty in putting a Camaro engine into the trucks due to the wiring changes? I thought the harnesses woudl be different, which causes the 5.7 swap into a truck to be a little more involved?

Andrew
i couldnt tell you 100% but i bet you can get the harness modified.

and one more question. would a 408 LQ9 be done the same as a 408 LS1? or is the LQ9 a bore/stroke combination and the LS1 done on stroke alone to avoid resleeving?
if so, is there any advantage/disadvatage to that big of a stroke? i know rpm's would suffer, im not worried about that too much, but doesnt cylinder wall wear go up with a bigger stroke?

oh well.....i think im thinking more practical than the typical LS1 guy on here....i just keep thinking to myself, that i dont want to spend money on resleeving and for simplicities sake am leaning towards the iron LQ4 even tho it doesnt have the " " factor that the LS1 has.

thanks for putting up with my neverending questions
Old 11-29-2004, 12:01 PM
Staging Lane

ok, so im getting a clearer picture of what i really want.

i want to build a 408. would i be better building it with the 6.0 the LS1 or i just remembered about this motor since i have been reading the LS1 forums so much.....the LT1.

would i be better off with any one of these 3? how about durrability,
rebuild-abilty, drivability, and price?

i want to make a good amount of streetable power, with possibly some boost in the future. how does an LS1 408 handle boost compared to a 6.0 408?

i know this is an LS1 forum but how well could an LT1 meet my goals?

i want to make (eventually, after i can get the motor in and running and after i build it up) over 500 rwhp. something that is drivable.
Old 11-29-2004, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stert
i know this is an LS1 forum but how well could an LT1 meet my goals?
I'm still thinking the 6.0 would be simpler. I think there is increased complexity in swapping a 5.7 from a camaro into a truck. The 6.0 is pulled from a truck already. Not sure about the LT1 and the tuning/PCM info along with it (not sure if you are pre or post 99). Tuning can be done, just a matter of how involved.

Jim (parish8) is going to be the man on this though....I'm still working through my confusion.

Andrew
Old 01-05-2005, 06:47 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by agreif
I'm still thinking the 6.0 would be simpler. I think there is increased complexity in swapping a 5.7 from a camaro into a truck. The 6.0 is pulled from a truck already. Not sure about the LT1 and the tuning/PCM info along with it (not sure if you are pre or post 99). Tuning can be done, just a matter of how involved.

Jim (parish8) is going to be the man on this though....I'm still working through my confusion.

Andrew
LT1's are similar to an old small block 350. LT1s are nothing like a LS1. LT1s were not put into trucks. F, Y, and B-body cars only.

Quick Reply: where can i find info on the 6.0 motor?