Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Where to find Long tube's for a 2004 5.3L Z71 4x4???

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 05:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SS_bnoon_SS
BTW, I'd take ceramic coated over stainless any day for better performance and lower underhood heat. Not to mention the price difference. Now if you're talking coated stainless, then there's your best bet for performance and longevity, but the price kinda goes through the roof!
Ceramic coated vs stainless there is almost no performance difference. The underhood temperatures are minimal. If you live in the rust belt states I would highly recommend spending the extra money on stainless steel. They will last alot longer and look alot nicer than ceramic coating. Even if you live some where it doesnt snow ceramic coating will still break down over time. Stainless steel headers will still be on your truck long after the frame has rusted out.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02Vortech
Hey guys where can i find some long tube headers for a 2004 5.3L Z71 4x4??? like a website not a company thanks
Why do u want LT's? I have an 04 Avv 5.3 and I put the Dynatech SS (shuda done ceramic tho). Mine's blown so it was really a waste as the shorty's wuda resulted in better HP. The only reason to put LT's in my opinion is if ur gonna swap to a larger motor that needs better respiration. U will need to upgrade plug wires most likely once u change out as the #5 & 7 will need to be longer. Ur gonna lose the heat shield too so the stock wires will be even more at risk. R/
Old 12-28-2005, 12:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dhpro
Why do u want LT's? I have an 04 Avv 5.3 and I put the Dynatech SS (shuda done ceramic tho). Mine's blown so it was really a waste as the shorty's wuda resulted in better HP. The only reason to put LT's in my opinion is if ur gonna swap to a larger motor that needs better respiration. U will need to upgrade plug wires most likely once u change out as the #5 & 7 will need to be longer. Ur gonna lose the heat shield too so the stock wires will be even more at risk. R/

Any motor will get more HP from LTs than shorties especially if its tuned right. Shorties aren't that much better than stock manifolds.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Shorty manifolds offer almost no performance gain over stock manifolds. Plus most use the stock y-pipe and cats which there is some more performance to be gained in a high flow cat vs a stock cat. I have never seen on any vehicle where a shorty header out performed a long tube.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by maddboost
Shorty manifolds offer almost no performance gain over stock manifolds. Plus most use the stock y-pipe and cats which there is some more performance to be gained in a high flow cat vs a stock cat. I have never seen on any vehicle where a shorty header out performed a long tube.
Well I can tell u that LT's with a blower resulted in no extra HPs, and depending who u ask, actually LESS than if I'd kept stock. Magnusson recommended the setup but hadn't proffed it yet. I'm no expert, but I did spend lots of time and cash trying cusom tuning and cudn't get any more than 330rwhp/374ftlbs out of it. The LT's rob the low end and no amount of timing alteration can change it (I'm told). Mag was absolutely no help on this one. I actually changed the pulley and tune to help it along and again the changes wree negligable for the added risk to my motor. That said, I am planning a 390 short block in the future and the LT's will be VERY beneficial to that set up. If one of u guys has my same set up and have achieved better HP's with LTs v stock pls fill me in! R/
Old 12-29-2005, 10:15 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dhpro
Well I can tell u that LT's with a blower resulted in no extra HPs, and depending who u ask, actually LESS than if I'd kept stock. Magnusson recommended the setup but hadn't proffed it yet. I'm no expert, but I did spend lots of time and cash trying cusom tuning and cudn't get any more than 330rwhp/374ftlbs out of it. The LT's rob the low end and no amount of timing alteration can change it (I'm told). Mag was absolutely no help on this one. I actually changed the pulley and tune to help it along and again the changes wree negligable for the added risk to my motor. That said, I am planning a 390 short block in the future and the LT's will be VERY beneficial to that set up. If one of u guys has my same set up and have achieved better HP's with LTs v stock pls fill me in! R/

Sounds like you need to read through this thread over again. There were a couple guys posting better gains by going to LTs. https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=345064
Btw, did you ever contact Blownchevy?
Old 12-29-2005, 10:23 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Contact BlownChevy first of all. Second mjhoward with a 4.8 radix lts cam exhaust tune and a pulley put close to 450hp and over 500tq so something is up with your setup Im going to guess your tune is WAAAAY off. Who is doing your tuning?
Old 12-29-2005, 10:24 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is his sig

2005 Joe Gibbs 4.8 5spd(originally N/A) Magnacharger Radix 3.00 pulley 12 lbs boost with Gomer tune
Custom Intercooler heat exchanger 3x the size
216/224 .558 114 Lsep, Comp 918's
Meth injection
3.73 w/ Detroit Trutrac
445 RWHP 489 TQ with 30* timing, now has 3 busted pistons 346 & 6 speed coming soon!
12.58 @ 109.1 full weight. Oh yeah, stock trany & stock clutch on slicks.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Here is his sig

2005 Joe Gibbs 4.8 5spd(originally N/A) Magnacharger Radix 3.00 pulley 12 lbs boost with Gomer tune
Custom Intercooler heat exchanger 3x the size
216/224 .558 114 Lsep, Comp 918's
Meth injection
3.73 w/ Detroit Trutrac
445 RWHP 489 TQ with 30* timing, now has 3 busted pistons 346 & 6 speed coming soon!
12.58 @ 109.1 full weight. Oh yeah, stock trany & stock clutch on slicks.
Dealt with Blownchevy after my install as I had a warning light, but he wasn't very helpful - all he cud say was that it was an install error...anyway, as its my daily driver I won't be dealing with meth injection (too much trouble), and I was running 12lbs boost on a 2.9 pulley and I think thats too much for the motor, so went back to the 3.4 and stock Mag tune for the winter - its actually pretty aggressive (16deg of timing). J&M Motorsports in East Hartford did the custom tuning. I think there's always someone with more experience or better informed, but truck guys are pretty tough to come by - and frankly the hassle factor is priceless. A motor change will raise that factor x 10, but so will a cam, meth and 12lbs of boost!
Old 12-30-2005, 12:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by maddboost
Ceramic coated vs stainless there is almost no performance difference. The underhood temperatures are minimal.

Ehhhhh, no, that's not correct in the least. Internal/external ceramic coating has been shown to improve HP/TQ by 5% on a 400 HP small block running in an open dyno room, let alone in a nearly sealed off engine compartment... Coated headers have also been shown to drop underhood temps by up to 20%. My own engine compartment temps on previous vehicles have dropped as much as 40 degrees by adding coating to already existing stainless headers.

Quick Reply: Where to find Long tube's for a 2004 5.3L Z71 4x4???