Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Whipple 496

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 11:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Whipple 496

When are you gonna get that thing to the track?

As much thought as all of us where giving on the tuning thread I half feel vested, with the TM gone Im thinking 1.8 60" and 13.5@102
If you dont have slicks air down the rears to around 15-20psi, turn em over a couple times and they will hook if there is track prep.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:30 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i say a 13.85 first run. I bet he has some room to loosen up the IAT Advance(retard). I bet at lower temps, it's a little aggressive. Each run will certainly get faster, but if he goes to crapital, he's only gonna get 3 runs in...so, I say he walks away with a 13.65.

I say he also puts 2 bumper stickers on his ride. one says 02sierraz71_5.3 and the other says dc_justin. LOL
Old 11-17-2006, 12:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 02sierraz71_5.3
If you dont have slicks air down the rears to around 15-20psi, turn em over a couple times and they will hook if there is track prep.

It never helped me! Everybody thinks its funny when I spin all 4 out the hole.

I want to see some good times out that truck Linda!
Old 11-17-2006, 12:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
i say a 13.85 first run. I bet he has some room to loosen up the IAT Advance(retard). I bet at lower temps, it's a little aggressive. Each run will certainly get faster, but if he goes to crapital, he's only gonna get 3 runs in...so, I say he walks away with a 13.65.

I say he also puts 2 bumper stickers on his ride. one says 02sierraz71_5.3 and the other says dc_justin. LOL
Saw your thread on the maf on tech Ive got some ideas for ya. I think most people have some misconceptions when they think about failing over to the VE table, its possible to run the maf at part throttle and wot have it fail over to the VE (SD). Ive been meaning to experiment with it some sort of like the best of both worlds maf and SD
Old 11-17-2006, 12:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TieRod
It never helped me! Everybody thinks its funny when I spin all 4 out the hole.

I want to see some good times out that truck Linda!
It always helped me but Im NA, less power I was able to cut a 1.9 60" with the G80 and old firestones that way.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:54 PM

Saw your thread on the maf on tech Ive got some ideas for ya. I think most people have some misconceptions when they think about failing over to the VE table, its possible to run the maf at part throttle and wot have it fail over to the VE (SD). Ive been meaning to experiment with it some sort of like the best of both worlds maf and SD
possible..yes, but, makes complete sense that you could. But when i tried it, i kept going lean. So instead of experimenting any further, I went on a quest to find someone who is doing it and it is working. So far, only trever1t has it going on and that was done by rick@synergy. I finally talked to rick last night and he made it sound easy as everybody else does, but I think I found the weak link, he elaborated a little more and I think there's a glitch with CL and OL. I'll discuss that in a PM(if ya want) or a tune thread soon enough. I have no laptop to experiment at the moment.

I hated to post over there, mainly cuz they don't know me and I have to go through all of the "Why use a MAF", "MAF rules", or "delete the code", blah blah, but I gotta find someone who is running a combo 2bar/MAF tune. I may stick with it once I get it working.

so whippled should be on his way to capital raceway now!!! or maybe in an hour.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:47 PM
TECH Junkie

possible..yes, but, makes complete sense that you could. But when i tried it, i kept going lean. So instead of experimenting any further, I went on a quest to find someone who is doing it and it is working. So far, only trever1t has it going on and that was done by rick@synergy. I finally talked to rick last night and he made it sound easy as everybody else does, but I think I found the weak link, he elaborated a little more and I think there's a glitch with CL and OL. I'll discuss that in a PM(if ya want) or a tune thread soon enough. I have no laptop to experiment at the moment.

I hated to post over there, mainly cuz they don't know me and I have to go through all of the "Why use a MAF", "MAF rules", or "delete the code", blah blah, but I gotta find someone who is running a combo 2bar/MAF tune. I may stick with it once I get it working.

so whippled should be on his way to capital raceway now!!! or maybe in an hour.
cool, Im definately interested in hearing what Rick said to you he is the only one I ever hear about really thinking out of the box and going out of the way to tune peoples setups. Glitches can be fixed thats the beauty of a custom OS
I like tech you can get individual ideas over there.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:16 PM

I like tech you can get individual ideas over there.
yeh your right. Lots of smart people over there, and I have learned A **** LOAD from those guys. But it just seems it more like pulling teeth to get the right answers from tech members these days. Like EVERYBODY is a tuner, even the ones that should just be lurking for now. The kr threads...they crack me up the most. NOT THAT I AM THAT SMART EITHER, just you ask a MAF question and you get SD answers. Ask a SD question and you get MAF answers. That's why I like helping newbies so much, it sucks to go into such a wealth of knowledge and a crazy *** searchable database with alot of smart and experienced people that want to be persuaders instead of educators.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:49 PM
TECH Junkie

yeh your right. Lots of smart people over there, and I have learned A **** LOAD from those guys. But it just seems it more like pulling teeth to get the right answers from tech members these days. Like EVERYBODY is a tuner, even the ones that should just be lurking for now. The kr threads...they crack me up the most. NOT THAT I AM THAT SMART EITHER, just you ask a MAF question and you get SD answers. Ask a SD question and you get MAF answers. That's why I like helping newbies so much, it sucks to go into such a wealth of knowledge and a crazy *** searchable database with alot of smart and experienced people that want to be persuaders instead of educators.
You just have to know how to ask the questions, the guys that have been racing for decades years and building motors share little unfortunately but some of them will drop some bombs every now and then like SStrokerAce and Jrod.
Billy(Kano) just turned me onto a new site that has more hardcore racers these guys arent your bolt on types. Check it out:http://speedtalk.com/forum/
This is what Im talking about check out this setup, read the post by ED(I think its Ed curtis)
http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4478

Last edited by 02sierraz71_5.3; 11-17-2006 at 07:03 PM.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:15 PM

yeh, again, your right. LOL I definitely could work on delivery. I yack and babble too much.

Those look interesting, certainly over my head for the most part. LOL, a freaking 555. Shoudld I go with a nitrous cam? LOL CRAZY!!!!

I actually enjoy reading the advanced performance section at tech. I have posted in there before. Seems the smarter guys are a little more forthcoming in there.

whip should be back soon enough...keep this thread alive so he sees it! LOL

Quick Reply: Whipple 496