Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Whipple air temps!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2003, 11:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Whipple air temps!

Radix superchargers use a bypass valve that works off engine vacuum so you only see boost under hard accelaration I'm sure that keeps the intake temps at a level the intercooler can manage,instead of constantly producing boost and the heat that comes with it.
Old 10-20-2003, 03:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey,hey. Good call John I knew there was a good reason lol I have been thinking of moving the MAF to just before the maniflod. but then it would mess up those pretty tubes
Old 10-20-2003, 05:44 AM
11 Second Truck Club

I hadn't thought about the bypass being responsible for heating the air under non boost conditions. I "tweaked" on that 2 years ago and now it makes 5 psi by 40% throttle. I am planning on going to the local 1/8th mile this coming Friday and shooting a dry shot just to see.
Old 10-20-2003, 03:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an issue with the Whipple on my 8.1. It blowing off boost at WOT. The truck would see 7.5# and then go down to 3.8, 4.2 and then hang around 4.5#. I ended up pulling the line that runs to the bypass and plugging the end from the supercharger. Turned into a different truck after that. It now makes a solid 7.5# all of the time. Whipple tried to play with the tuning for their computer but that didn't work.

Old 10-20-2003, 04:03 PM
TECH Addict

So it never blows off now Tom? I guess it makes constant boost at cruise now too? What if something goes wrong and it needs to blow off boost?
Old 10-20-2003, 05:22 PM
single digit dreamer

a blow off valve and a bypass valve are substantialy diferent. with a blow off valve the boost has been made and gets bled off but with the bypass the boost is never made. one of the reasons they do this is so the blower uses almost no hp when not under boost, it is a great system.

what tybrine is talking about is whipples atempt to use that bypass valve as a saftey device or maybe even a tuning device. the whipple computer watches the 02's and if it sees a lean condition it will open the bypass and relieve some boost. seems like another good idea to me. mine opened a couple of times, once when my fuel pump was maxed out and another time with a bad 02 sensor. i wouldn't have been alereted to either one of these problems nearly as quickly without that whipple light flashing in my face.

i am not doubting anyones IAT but just to be sure here how did you measure them? prety sure with the radix you would have to insert a probe or somehow move the AIT sensor. i guess the ATI set up is a blow thru on the MAF? so it is acurate?

one last thing, my AIT temps went way high on my truck even though the MAF and AIT sensor was in the stock place(before the blower). i would see as much as 100deg above ambiant once i got on it and i am 100% sure it was a false reading, did i just have a problem or is there some reason for the sensor to read way high when the air really starts to flow?
Old 10-20-2003, 05:36 PM
TECH Addict

i would see as much as 100deg above ambiant once i got on it and i am 100% sure it was a false reading, did i just have a problem or is there some reason for the sensor to read way high when the air really starts to flow?
Mine does the same thing, for instance,if I'm cruising and my IAT reading are 85-90, it will jump up when on the gas hard,130 degrees or more. Friction cuases heat,so could the dramatic increase in
airflow across the sensor cause the increase in temp reading???
Old 10-20-2003, 05:38 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Does the Whipple computer hook into the MAF wires at all? Could this be an attempt by whipple to fool the computer about the temp to lower timing?

Old 10-20-2003, 06:23 PM
TECH Addict

Does the Whipple computer hook into the MAF wires at all? Could this be an attempt by whipple to fool the computer about the temp to lower timing?

It does tie into the PCM and reads the MAF sensor and IAT readings.From what I understand thier computer only moniters sensors to control boost,but doesnt directly affect any sensors.But,then again it might,I just dont remember seeing anything in the install manual about it doing anything but moniter them.
Old 10-20-2003, 06:25 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Tom-I plugged that same hose early on when I noticed boost going away at the 2-3 shift. I finally coaxed it out of Whipple that it was there to save the tranny. Sure enough a few weeks after plugging it off the tranny started slipping.

The Whipple computer does cause false IAT readings. When I still had mine sometimes it would show -40, sometimes 100+ over ambient. It also messed with the engine coolant temp. My truck didn't start coming around til I got rid of all that crap!

Quick Reply: Whipple air temps!