Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Whipple Idea...

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2004, 02:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Whipple Idea...

Alright, I'm sure that someone has already thought of this, and done some research, but this idea popped into my head last night and I thought I would post it just for the hell of it so here goes nothin...

Alright, now everyone here knows that when you do the kenne bell / whipple upgrade for a lightning, there is somewhere around a 100 hp increase, and we all know that this increase is because all the upgrade is is a S/C swap... the eaton intercooler and intake are left on the truck, therefore making it an intercooled twin-screw...

We also know that the Radix kit for our trucks is basically the GM equivalent to the Lightnings S/C (With the excepion of size,the radix being the bigger)... Everythig else is setup basically the same right???

My question is this... could the same S/C swap be made on our trucks using the radix kit... or in more practical applications, could the Whipple S/C be used with the Radix Intake and Intercooler???

This is all just somethin that popped in my head, and I'm sure its just a shot in the dark, but I figured "what the hell, i'll post it, and if I am wrong, I can at least learn somthin"
Old 05-29-2004, 02:39 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Could be done.....just need to have a little machine shop experiance.
Old 05-29-2004, 03:04 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i thought the same thing before, to realy be worth the work you would want to fit a 3300 on there instead of the standard 2300.

problem is by the time you get everything to bolt up and work you probably spent more time and money than a turbo set up would cost, might as well go turbo
Old 05-30-2004, 03:02 AM
TECH Addict

Anybody have any dimentions on the radix manifold and the supercharger output? I have shop experience and have access to a shop 24/7 so I could probably build an adaptor if I had that. Anybody know where I could get these parts so I might be able to fab something up?

HAHAHA 500 HP Twin Screw Radix = 4L60E
Although it would be
Old 05-30-2004, 04:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe off topic a bit, but has anyone seen the size of a Lightning intercooler? That sucker is suprisingly big. It has tons of room to fit in between the heads of the modular engine.

Back on topic Ya I am suprised no one has tried to do this yet. But I am with Parish all the way. If you plan on making an adapter plate, make it for the 3300ax blower
Old 05-30-2004, 04:43 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah! I have the drawing for the 3300AX Supercharger now for the Radix........

http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/...sp?ProdID=1162
Old 05-30-2004, 09:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ryan, how about some detailed info on your intercooler including costs etc?????
Old 05-30-2004, 01:42 PM
Launching!

me and a copule of my buddys were going to do it on his truck. 2000 chevy ext cab put a 6.0 int it with 8 to 1 diamond pistons, stage 2 5.2 heads good size cam and arp everything. he bought the radix for it and he wanted to crank up the boost but when he went to order pullies he relized the smallest pully for a radix is 9lbs. then with the stock pulley the blower was too small for motor and boost wouldnt kick in till 3100 rpms. So we thought about putting a 2300 on it and seeing what it would do. But yould still only get 13lbs if that before the belt started slipping. after cost and everything its just not worth it. So we ended up getting a procharger with a 3 core intercooler and a f 1 compressor. havent put the kit on yet procharger is on a back order for the f1 impellors so kit wont ship till june 1st. Were hopping to be around 15lbs to 20lbs of boost. should be a fun ride
Old 05-30-2004, 01:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just outta curiostiy... what is stopping people from buying the 3300AX alone and buying injectors and a tune for it seperately??? What is involved in installing this blower??
Old 05-30-2004, 05:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm planning that conversion,you can buy a 3300AX for $2300 plus the cost of the shaft extension.It appears that a 3300AX could support over 1000hp.I'm planning to use 5/8" aluminum plate to adapt the Whipple to my Magnacharger intake manifold and have ATI custom make a crank damper to slow down the supercharger's revs and 3300 is only rated for 11,000rpm so I'll need a fairly large supercharger as well.My plans call for a larger throttlebody as well because a 3300 will flow 1,400CFM.Unfortunately the workload at my business will probably put me into November starting the project.

Quick Reply: Whipple Idea...