Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

whipple tuning questions, ryan, parish, everyone

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 11:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by etc
i was guessing more or less, i took a couple logs, watched them and averaged the #'s in my head
You are making me want to punch my computer! lol If you can actually analize hundreds of readouts and compute them in your head that quickly then you should go play Black Jack and do some card counting rainman.

0 ltft is perfect. On O2s .890-.920 is really good for boosted motors. I bet if you do the logging correctly you will hit these numbers dead on. If it is still a little lean after the new accurately done tune, then you will increase fueling using the PE "power enrichment" tables. The most accurate way to do that is with a wideband. After you get your new whipple box and ifr is set near perfectly I would schedule some time on the dyno with wideband logging. This will get your fuel tuning perfect.
I can explain PE calculating using O2 readouts. This is not the best way of doing it, but it still gets you close. I can do this once you get your ifr down first. If your IFR isnt on it is pointless to change pe tables.
Old 03-12-2004, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whippleburban

I have been trying to tune a 02 Surburban with a 6.0 litre motor with a 5.7 PCM.The 6.0 PCM would not work witht the tranny.Got 408 RWHP but the driveability sucks on the bottom end untill around 25 mph or 1900 rpm then it kicks in.The whipple computer is removed,has 38lb Delphi Injectors,torque management is removed.LTFT are around -.78 and A/F is 11.8 across the board.Knock retard is 0.If you floor it from a dead stop it takes off like a snail with a lead shell.I have tried adding timing,removing it all with no luck.It also seems to eat the NGK TR6 plugs very quickly.The burb is pushing app.10lbs of boost non intercooled.I am fresh out of ideas
Old 04-16-2004, 03:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

i'm back, don't punch your computer ryan. well whipple said they would send a repacement for my computer, a month ago they said they sent it, a week ago they said i had to send mine back first. as expected they sent me back the same computer i sent them, they said they scanned it and found three errors. they also said they replaced the board and reflashed it, there was no evidence they opened it up [dirt in screw holes undisturbed]. it is supposed to be perfect now. guess what ? does the same thing as before. ryan as far as my scientific approach to tuning, i was just trying to get close, there were'nt hundreds of numbers. basically i just watched the log and used the info you gave me to make an educated guess, when i hit on 5.20 my ltft's stayed at 0 through a wide range of tps and different fuel cells, i was under the impression thats what i was shooting for. question, even though i have'nt averaged them the correct way, they were primarily at zero without the computer attached, at cruise, no boost. as soon as i plugged the computer in, same cruise, no boost, they jumped to +5 and up. should'nt the trims stay the same with no boost ?. whipple says they are changing there computer system and will upgrade it for me, since trying to tune with the current computer seems pointless i guess i'll wait and see if that one works. if not guess i'll have to go mech bypass, if it's available. in the meantime, ryan, whats the lowest ifr # you've seen with the whipple and 42lb inj's. i had too drop mine to 5.00 to get the readings down, at this setting it is occasionally dropping to zero never below [so i know i can't be averaging 0] i'm probably running really rich but getting bad info from the computer. seems to run ok, and like i said it's probably pointless to try to tune at this point. wish i never would have bought this p.o.s. . if i ever get this computer thing sorted out or get a mech. bypass i will log and average the l'trims the proper way and then maybe you can walk me through it, thanks for taking the time and sharing your knowledge. e
Old 04-16-2004, 03:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey not a problem etc. I won't punch my computer, I was just joking
The IFR number is a set thing. It will not change on you, but if you mean what is the lowest I have set the value to in the table is what I run with the '02LS6 cam an 42lb inj. at 5.12.

Etc. you might call KenneBell and ask them about their new computer module to control the whipple kits. See if you can get it sans injectors.
Old 04-16-2004, 04:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

i'll check it out, why did kenne bell design a module for the whipple kit ? could it be that the whipple electronics is junk ? i know you were joking, so was i. this whole thing dealing with this company is draining, they act like this is just something they do on the side and don't have the time to address issues. in their defense they probably get alot of idiots saying the problem is their fault when it's really the install. but most of them probably don't buy a $1k worth of software to troubleshoot it. i don't think they changed out my board, and i'm skeptical about the reflash. i still have the same .3 02 readings at wot. you did'nt answer if you thought the ltfts should change at cruise with no boost ? and something must be wrong if yours is set at 5.12 and you can average close to zero and i'm at 5.00 and my lowest reading is 0. thanks for tip on the kenne bell i may have to resort to that.
Old 04-18-2004, 02:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

ryan, i checked out the kenne bell site. i saw the upgrade for the "lysholm" ? kit. if you read the whole thing, it looks like you send them your pcm and they reflash it. this leads me to believe it's for a mechanically controlled bypass, since there does'nt appear to a provision for controlling it. if i had a mech. controlled bypass, i'd be in business, since that is the only reason i need their pos electronics. i have edit and efi live so i can reflash my pcm to my hearts content but i currently have no way to control the boost. i'm going to pin my shop [the guys who sold it to me] down on monday and try to get a mech. bypass setup. funny though, all the things they say their flash fixes, are all the things wrong with my current setup. thanks for the heads up, seeing that makes me feel like i'm not the only one dealing with this. i started thinking again today that if i change the wiring so the whipple only sees the info but not send modified signals to my pcm that would solve the problem. think about it, the only wires intercepted are the maf and o2's since they have an in and out the in should'nt carry any voltage other then the signal. if i reconnect the stock wiring and tap it with the in wire, the signal should pass through to the pcm and the whipple will be able to read it and regulate the boost, it will still send a signal to the out wire but it won't go anywhere. the pcm can then correctly regulate the fuel low [ since i have the 43lb inj's]. the only two possible negatives i've come with are; tapping the wire could cause a voltage drop and screw up the signal. if the in wire does contain any voltage it could screw up the signal.