Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Whipple VS. Procharger superchargers

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whipple VS. Procharger superchargers

After I'm finished building my 5.7L LS1 and then sell it, I'm planning on buying a supercharger. I want a supercharger that will be very reliable because I drive lots of highway miles each week. I've noticed that Whipple is a popular choice, although since it's a twin screw type supercharger, it boosts immidiately and puts strain on the tranny. So maybe less boost would be my answer until I save up to get my tranny beefed up. What is a safe boost that won't hurt my tranny until I get it built up, I was thinking around 5-6psi? How much hp would 5-6psi give me? Also for the whipple, does the Whipple requires punching a hole in the oil pan or is it self contained like the Procharger?
Next comes the idea of the Procharger system. To make the kit cheaper I'd probably buy the blower, mounting bracket, intercooler and maybe pulley on ebay. Then do all of the piping myself. I've seen a kit on a 5.3L where the guy did all of the piping for his centrifugal blower out of heavy guage pvc pipe, so thats a possibility of what I could do. What do you guys think? Also I've noticed that Procharger only has 8-9psi for our trucks, would that amount of power be bad on my tranny?
Suggestions would be great.
Thanks
Old 11-19-2003, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

You being in Texas i would definatley go for a procharger due to the fact that is it Intercooled
I would Say depending on how you drive an ATI unit maybe with a larger pulley maybe 4.2 " should make the tranny last for a while
I would say with a nice tranny cooler it would last sometime ..all depends on how you drive If your making WOT blast all the time expect it to die fast
Also If i were you i'd just buy the complete kit as the belt spacing might be hard to do
I'm selling my kit Pm if your interested
Old 11-19-2003, 04:30 PM
11 Second Club

i have a procharger setup and if you are going to keep it fairly stock, i would go with the radix. the setup looks awesome and it is now intercooled. don't get me wrong, i like my procharger, the plumbing is pathetic. as far as the amount of boos you are going to develop, that is up to how fast you are going to spin the procharger and how modified (cam, heads, etc.) your motor is. i cna only get about 5psi out of my little p1-sc with my new motor where i could get about 13psi with the old stock 4.8. i am either going to have to try to change pullies or get a bigger procharger like a d1.
Old 11-19-2003, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

just change the pullies. i dont know anything about your new vs. old motor but it sounds to me like the new one had MUCH better intake flow. so (as long as the head unit can handle it) just pulley up and enjoy the boost
Old 11-19-2003, 05:26 PM
11 Second Club

i'm going to try it. going to get a 3.5 and a 3.0 pulley for it if they won't slip too much. it isn't a matter of intake setup, it is just so much more motor and the cam blows off quite a bit of boost too. anyone know where to get a bigger crank pulley/smaller alternator pulley?

anyone know where to get a bigger crank pulley/smaller alternator pulley?
Old 11-19-2003, 06:51 PM
Launching!

I went with the procharger since it builds boost and does not hit instantly. It really doesn't start making boost until above 2500 rpms, but after that it makes good power. My normal driving (to work and back) never goes above 2500 rpms and this keeps the gas mileage the same as it was before. I decided not to get the whipple since it was instant boost putting more strain on the tranny and it didn't have an intercooler. From around here, it sounds like if you have the money get the Radix. It looks really nice under the hood and puts out really good numbers. I also agree the plumbing sucks on the procharger setup. It was a pain in the a$$ getting the hose clamps tightened in those tight spaces on the driver side.
Old 11-19-2003, 07:06 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Another vote for the Radix
Old 11-19-2003, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Too bad the Radix is over 5 Grand
Old 11-19-2003, 08:06 PM
lm7
TECH Fanatic

double post
Old 11-19-2003, 08:06 PM
lm7
TECH Fanatic

if it came down to whipple and procharger...i say procharger. the radix seems liek he way to go but its not an option. include cost of injectors and edit for the procharger. the reason i pick the procharger is because ive heard a lot of people be dissapointed with their whipples, ive heard no complaints from procharger owners other than the damn plumbing which does suck...i keep blowing my bypass hose off my intake elbow on the 1-2 shift...go procharger you wont be dissapointed with the power it makes

Quick Reply: Whipple VS. Procharger superchargers