Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Who found out that the A/C pulls timing when on?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 07:08 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Who found out that the A/C pulls timing when on?

i have never see this in edit, but my edit program wont do truck files. in 1.3 for cars there is a section for turning the a/c off at certain rpms and certain throttle conditions.

my 03 runs pretty good with the a/c on or off, but its bone stock untouched so far.

Old 09-28-2003, 12:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Who found out that the A/C pulls timing when on?

GM does it to resist knock. AC raises engine temp quite a bit at times, so to reduce the chances of knock it switches timing tables. Not everybody checks their coolling system to make sure its up to par. Not to mention clueless soccer moms.....in stop and go traffic.....while its over 100 outside....with 8 kids in the car.....A.C. on 110%....and they dont ckeck their gauges. things can get pretty hot. Most cars from the manufacturer are made to be idiot proof to some extent. In order to accomplish this, they take an awesome engine (LS1 etc.) and de-tune the **** out of it. So pulling timing to compensate for A.C. makes sense to me.
So when the A/C is on it runs in the "low octane" timing tables? I'd assume these tables are VERY detuned so could I bump those on a tune up to what the regular timing is?