Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Who has Predator and Drags alot.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2003, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who has Predator and Drags alot.

Who here cositently runs at a 1/4 mile track and is currently using a Predator.

Why do I ask? Because on the street with my the predator wins hands down above the Hypertech, Shifts better and feels better. Barking the tires is cool between gears but doesn't get et's.
I'm at a loss. My ltrims/o2mvs are dead on but I still see KR and my times suck since I switched from Hypertech. Either My motor is finally wearing down or the custom tune is so conservative to avoid KR that is killing my Horsepower.

I here so many complaints about the hypertech in the past but I had really good luck with it. My Truck never saw above 14.3 at 93-96 this season with my old Hypertech.

Now after 2 custom tunes, higher octane and even better suspension I have decreased my mph to 89 and can't get below 14.6 and even get 14.9.

Hypertech times
These arn't freak times because it's been done over 12 times over the period of may-july.
Predator(same temps)
60---1.993 2.075
330--5.900 6.000
1/8--8.932 9.3
mph--78.56 74.03
1000-11.682 12.123
1/4--14.024 14.688
mph--96.30 90.77

Regardless of my times, compared to other times in higher/hotter states( I'm concerned with comparing the two
to see what may be killing my horsepower.
Old 08-23-2003, 11:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Who has Predator and Drags alot.

With the predator my truck felt noticeably quicker off the line but the dyno gains, at least as far as horsepower/torque were very minimal.

I only ran my truck a few times at the track with the predator, before it fried my ECU.

My times were noticeably slower than my before predator times BUT this was proably because of the 100+ temperature. It should also be considered that my slower predator times were run with the addition of my ASM headers, SO my considerably slower times were a real mystery to me.

Old 08-24-2003, 01:15 AM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i am having some technical difficulties with my predator. thinking westers.
Old 08-24-2003, 01:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I found a shop here in Vegas that uses edit, and a-tap to program your truck for $150. They actually specialize in GM pickups only, from 99 and up. I have now talked to two guys that loved their gains, and they both said that it blew the hypertech out of the water. I also fried my computer with the predator, and have run into many a time were the predator will not work right, until I give up and try it another day. I am now scared to program my truck of fear of frying the computer. After I get my electric fans, I will no longer use one of these programmers and will have it custom tuned!
Old 08-24-2003, 08:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys. 02 what happened, I thought you were employed by Diablo a couple weeks ago.
The more I realize,??? why would a person tunning our predators give a sh*t if he wasn't making any money??? Also there hard to resell. I sent evry piece of info I had along with my tune and a detailed explanation of problems and when I got it back it was like nothing changed. Upon calling the tuner he didn't even remeber the settings. I don't Know about you but wouldn't you think a folder containg peoples names and notes would be appropriate? Evry time I sent to him I had to re-explain evrything.
Also it looks like there more into F*rds anyway.

Plans for winter,

6.0-
true stainless duals
switch to 18's. Nittos
Edit-Tuned at slp facility.
Need brakes- bauer powder coating

IF I get Edit I will need a laptop/atap and maybe the innovative wideband. It would be great but will leave me with no money for the other mods.
I have read about slp dyno facility and they use edit so I'm sure if we get it right I won't need to frig with after. I'm just planning a 6.0 with my bolt ons.

Looks like I'll use the hypertech for the rest of the season before truck comes off the road.
Old 08-24-2003, 02:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Who here cositently runs at a 1/4 mile track and is currently using a Predator.

Why do I ask? Because on the street with my the predator wins hands down above the Hypertech, Shifts better and feels better. Barking the tires is cool between gears but doesn't get et's.
I'm at a loss. My ltrims/o2mvs are dead on but I still see KR and my times suck since I switched from Hypertech. Either My motor is finally wearing down or the custom tune is so conservative to avoid KR that is killing my Horsepower.

I here so many complaints about the hypertech in the past but I had really good luck with it. My Truck never saw above 14.3 at 93-96 this season with my old Hypertech.

Now after 2 custom tunes, higher octane and even better suspension I have decreased my mph to 89 and can't get below 14.6 and even get 14.9.

Hypertech times
These arn't freak times because it's been done over 12 times over the period of may-july.
Predator(same temps)
60---1.993 2.075
330--5.900 6.000
1/8--8.932 9.3
mph--78.56 74.03
1000-11.682 12.123
1/4--14.024 14.688
mph--96.30 90.77

Regardless of my times, compared to other times in higher/hotter states( I'm concerned with comparing the two
to see what may be killing my horsepower.

Is it possible that the timing on your predator is too high, and the pcm is switching to the low octane table when it sees KR? Sounds like it.
I inquired about a custom tune for my truck about 8 or sao months ago, and after an initial"we're trying to figure one out", never heard from them again. This was pretty plain to me about their service, so I said forget it
That's when I got Edit, which the only way to go.
I have heard nothing but complaints about people getting their trucks tuned w/o being able to change stuff. JMO though. Sam
Old 08-24-2003, 02:38 PM
Formerly one92rs

now it wont even let me put in my fctory tune.
Old 08-24-2003, 03:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

I am so glad I got the HPP3.
Old 08-24-2003, 03:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, overall from all my draging with and without the predator, I got a .5 second improvement in the quarter. I got another .7 second improvement from my other mods, but probably even more, considering that I tested the rest of my mods during the summer and really hot temps at the track. I tested my Predator back to back from stock right at the track.

Still waiting till this upcoming Friday to test out the gear swap!
Old 08-24-2003, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is it possible that the timing on your predator is too high, and the pcm is switching to the low octane table when it sees KR? Sounds like it.

I agree and I told them ecactly what I have done. I'm using sunoco 94 and my ect never gets above 178 at the track. With the Predator I could save my tune and send it to Jotard so he could look at it, oh well.

I also would like to get Edit/Atap etc. but Than the motor would have to wait. SLP edit tunning session should work with the 6.0l swap and I get to keep the edit cable anyways.

02 denali I couldn't restore my tune at first either. I just repeated the steps after it showed an error code and it went through.
I was crossing my fingers the whole time, pretty pathetic when your at the mercy of it, good luck.

Quick Reply: Who has Predator and Drags alot.