Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Who has swapped 6.0L/4L08e into 01 Duramax/Allison Silverado

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 05:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who has swapped 6.0L/4L08e into 01 Duramax/Allison Silverado

I've been driving my 2001 Silverado 2500, 4 door, 4 wheel drive Duramax Allison truck for 24,000 miles now since the dealer told me it had blown a head gasket. It works fine coolant tank just presurizes so i drilled a hole in the top of it to releive pressure and keep it from forcing out of the coolant tank siphon tube.

Anyway i know this engine is going to eventually go and i dont know that i want to put a Duramax back in it. I get 17mpg withe the blown head gasket and all and it runs perfect but its going to go. These engines are prone to injectors (about $2500 just for the new injectors themselves), lifter pumps fail, and cup seals leak, head gasket blow, cylinder heads warp. Anyway its 38 shop hours to replace head gaskets. $4500 from the dealer. New cylinder heads are $1500 which they may be warped You can only have the heads milled about .005 or so because of the ptvc so even if i do this job myself its going to cost around $2200.

So i want to put a built 6.0L and 4l60E engine in there. Thats a great setup to me because i know these engines pretty well and even if something breaks they are extremely easy to work on and not very expensice (used 100k Durmax take out is $6000) and that no guaranteeing the headgasket wont go or the injectors. I'm sure i wont get the fuel mileage i get, or the towing power i have but i rarely use it for towing anymore. I have a 28 foot enclosed trailer that probably only weighs 8,500lbs with my car in it and it should pull that no problem.

Has anyone done this? Would i be able to use the transfercase mated to the Allison? I know i could sell the Allison my trans operates beautifully. Does anyone know if the Engine harnesses are stand alone? I know there is atleast one body control module on my truck. I dont really want to sell the truck as i wont get much money for it with a blown head gasket. I really like it as it has a nice utility bed, i have drilled slotted rotors/cermaic pads, towing controller. some hefy helper springs, brand new tires etc and i just really like the truck.

So what do you all think i would need?
Old 01-14-2009, 06:00 PM
TECH Regular

Dont waste ur time, just sell it and buy a newer 6.0 truck. I am sure you would be able to sell the dmax easily with a blown headgasket and still buy a 6.0 truck.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:05 PM
TECH Addict

hmm not looking to sell it... looking to swap engine i get an engine and build it extremely cheap. I think i can go the entire thing for under $3000. I could sell my blown duramax and allison for probably $1500. I'm pretty sure the transfer case will bolt right up to a 4x4 4L80e since the aluminum 1 piece driveshafts for the 4 door shortbed and 2 door long bed silverados are all interchangeable regardless of engine.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:33 PM
14 Second Truck Club

That will be lots of work.....Entire fuel system has to be replaced, tank lines etc... all electronics computers harnesses..... About the same as the guy that went from a gas to a duramax.... I will try to find the build. Much easier to get a different truck!!
Old 01-14-2009, 06:38 PM
14 Second Truck Club

here is a link.... Like I said COSTLY
Old 01-14-2009, 06:38 PM
14 Second Truck Club

ooopppps....

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...amax+in+a+1500
Old 01-14-2009, 07:20 PM
TECH Addict

not much different than putting an ls1 in my firebird. i'm sure ill have to do much less welding and fabication than that too since a 6.0L was deisgned to go into my chasis orgionally. Who knows my engine may last forever with a blown head gasket but i doubt it so I'm trying to make preparations. Swap a tank, run an 6.0l tank and pump system, a nice lq9 bottom end or lq4 with some l92 heads, an l76 intake, ill try to figure out what cam i want, some long tube headers, and a 3" exhaust setup with x pipe. Should be a ncie motor. The only posibly diffiult part would be swapping my hydroboost setup unless the 6,0ls use the power steering pump to power their brake booster than I'm all set.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:21 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by fastgmc53
here is a link.... Like I said COSTLY
yea, stupid to do, just save urself time and money and buy a new truck.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:41 AM
TECH Regular

You sir.... are a complete moron. This is the stupidest post I have ever read, and I have read many posts from people who can barely dress themselves. I cannot believe that anyone would even consider swapping a gas motor with a 4 speed (**** tranny at that) into a diesel truck. My recommendation: Get a bottle of scotch and a revolver, and blow your effing brains out. More cost effective, and better for man-kind.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:45 AM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by retsell
You sir.... are a complete moron. This is the stupidest post I have ever read, and I have read many posts from people who can barely dress themselves. I cannot believe that anyone would even consider swapping a gas motor with a 4 speed (**** tranny at that) into a diesel truck. My recommendation: Get a bottle of scotch and a revolver, and blow your effing brains out. More cost effective, and better for man-kind.
Wow that was a little harsh... A simple bad idea would have worked, no need to insult the guy...

Quick Reply: Who has swapped 6.0L/4L08e into 01 Duramax/Allison Silverado