Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Who has swapped 6.0L/4L08e into 01 Duramax/Allison Silverado

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 12:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by retsell
You sir.... are a complete moron. This is the stupidest post I have ever read, and I have read many posts from people who can barely dress themselves. I cannot believe that anyone would even consider swapping a gas motor with a 4 speed (**** tranny at that) into a diesel truck. My recommendation: Get a bottle of scotch and a revolver, and blow your effing brains out. More cost effective, and better for man-kind.
As enticing the idea may sound i am a vodka drinker, so scotch is not my thing. If it weren't for the whole "family that cares" thing that desire would have been satisfied years ago.

Anyway the trucks injectors went around 70k, lift pump around 100k, and now the head gasket at 160k. The 1st gen duramaxes are junk imo. I would just as soon swap a 7.3L powerstroke into it as they are are far superior engine for reliability, or even a Cummins. I use an array of both at work, the Duramax is by far the worst engine for reliability. It gets the best fuel mileage, and has the most towing power but its just **** for reliability.

I am 21, i do not have $6,000 at my disposal to put in another Duramax which will most likely follow the some self destructive mechanical path. I tow my 28footer maybe once every couple months if even that. I do not need to spend the money on a duramax, i do not need to spend the money on a new truck, i do not need to sell my truck. If i am going to go through the trouble of swapping in a new deisel it will not be another Duramax i am very displeased with its reliability. A truck with 168k has already needed over $12,000 in repairs. Thats just rediculous for any truck. I still owe about $9,000 on it too so i dont think i could even sell it for what i owe on it. It'll be paid off in about a year and a half so i wouldnt sell it until it was paid off anyway.

As dumb as the idea may seem, it's something i have thought about alot of. This thread was not a thread about my compentency or what you think i shoudl do about it. I really dont care what opinions you have as to whether or not i SHOULD do it. I WILL do it regardless i was just looking for information on it. It doesnt seem like much work to me. My truck 9200gvwr so its emmissions exempt anyway so i could build a resonable 6.0L for it anyway.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:23 PM
Launching!

there all over ebay for $3500. And gm warranties the injectors to 200,000 miles. swapping a gas in place of a diesel would be dumb, since u use it to tow. I havent heard of many problems with the duramax. Plus you could buy a $600 programmer and have way more power than any na 6.0 would have. save ur money and buy a differant dmax and have a truck with some real power.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by retsell
You sir.... are a complete moron. This is the stupidest post I have ever read, and I have read many posts from people who can barely dress themselves. I cannot believe that anyone would even consider swapping a gas motor with a 4 speed (**** tranny at that) into a diesel truck. My recommendation: Get a bottle of scotch and a revolver, and blow your effing brains out. More cost effective, and better for man-kind.
completely unnecessary......
Old 01-15-2009, 12:30 PM
12 Second Truck Club

you'd be better off with a cummins swap if you are tired of the Dmax IMO
Old 01-15-2009, 12:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by fastgmc53
That will be lots of work.....Entire fuel system has to be replaced, tank lines etc... all electronics computers harnesses..... About the same as the guy that went from a gas to a duramax.... I will try to find the build. Much easier to get a different truck!!
+1

Wiring harness, gauges, fuel system. Engine and tranny may be relatively cheap, but the other stuff will nickel and dime you. FIgure 2-3 times the cost of the engine and tranny before you are done.

If you do it, post a build log!
Old 01-15-2009, 12:33 PM
TECH Addict

7 years 200,000 miles its an 01 its out of warranty. Yeah there are some cheap ones on ebay, no warranty, no guarantees. I have a programmers, exhaust and intake. Thats what caused the headgasket to go. I've also had the starter go ($300), two front calipers lock up even though i keep brake fluid clean, fuel line rust through, brake line rust through, 3 belt tensioners brakes (2 while hauling 12,000lb+ trailers/machines) which of course had it not been for great trailer brakes would have been terrible on one instance i did slide through a 4 way stop.

The engine is just a pain in my *** as far as i am concerned. I can do the entire swap for less than it would cost me to replace my head gaskets. The 4l80e is great when built right and so is the 6.0l. It wont come close to the towing power but I'm not trying to do 80mph with a trailer. I'd trust a 6.0L any day over a Duramax for a long trip. Too many 'limp modes', water in fuel engine shut downs, and NSBU 3rd gear lockings for me. A 6.0L is something i can remove and install in a few hours if anything ever goes wrong with it. I know the engines pretty well and with the vast aftermarket you can build them virtually indestructable. There's not a whole lot of aftermarket for the Duramax.

I've had too many expensive and dangerous parts break on my Duramax to want another one. My chasis is everything i want so why should i have to buy and build another truck? I just need a drivetrain, thats the easy part to me.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:36 PM
TECH Addict

I really do like the Cummins they are great engines. Their transmisisons are alot harder to build reliably than Chevys though and the Ford transmissions can be built resonably. I trust the 4l08e second most to the Allison as far as automatics go. Maybe i can mate a T56 behind the cummins. I'm not sure if they are the same bellhousings or not though (from the viper)
Old 01-15-2009, 12:46 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by tiffo60
completely unnecessary......
Perhaps... Just trying to stress the point that this is a horrible idea and add a little bit of sarcasm.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:52 PM
TECH Regular

In all seriousness <sp> you've already got the new injectors, they will last a long time. (I have an 03 duramax and an 06 duramax for work trucks.) Put a head gasket on it, if you are compentent enough to do a diesel to gas swap, then a head gasket is nothing. At that point, if you are tired of it you can sell the truck and buy a gas truck AND have money left in your pocket. A 168k diesel truck is going to pull a significant amount more money than a 100k mile gas truck.

1. put a head gasket on it (the heads will probably be fine.)

2. sell truck in running condition

3. buy gas truck for 3500-7k less money.

4. build hot as motor for new truck and walk away with money in your pocket.

And i'll quit calling you a moron. Like you care...
Old 01-15-2009, 01:00 PM
TECH Resident

I can't believe replacing a blown head gasket is harder than a complete diesel to gas conversion. Whatever floats your boat, good luck with the swap.

Quick Reply: Who has swapped 6.0L/4L08e into 01 Duramax/Allison Silverado