Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Who has swapped 6.0L/4L08e into 01 Duramax/Allison Silverado

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 07:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me ask all of you 'convincers' this. Who of you owns a Duramax? Who has owned one for more than a couple years? Who has owned one outside of a warranty and had to pay for any of mechanical faluires it has out of their own pocket? I am speaking from experience. I own both engines. I know what breaks on both engines. I know whats involved in fixing things on both engines. The LS1 is by far a superior engine for reliability, and cost effectivity and not a whole lot down on power from it. I'd be suprised in my LS1 was down more than 50ftlb torque from the Durmax.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:16 PM
TECH Resident

just read this whole thread, its nuts. To shawn, why come in here asking for opinions and shoot down everyone who posts, if your so set on doing your swap, just do it, take pics and do a write up! =0 =)
im not going to discourage you, no one can do that, you are far too stuck on your idea.
but i am going to say that your truck is an 01 with 200k plus just think about that before you dump all that money into the swap, and not just money, the time and effort that go along with it, not to mention not having adequate facilities to be doing something like that (at least not imo). i do have to agree that it would be more practical though to slap a new head gasket on it, throw in those new injectors and sell it, buy yourself a 1500 hd or a2500 hd around the same year, they both have the 4l80 trans, and you would probably break even. then you could do your cam swap and mods to that truck later. not to mention that if you ever did sell it you would have problems with the registration and insuring it, and im pretty sure that your resale value would take a hit.
those are the cons to doing the swap
now if you do it some pros are, you get to keep your truck, you keep the allison you like, you will be happy about it because it will be what you wanted, if its customized you wont have to re do any of what you have done to it to the next truck, since its a diesel you never have to smog it so that leaves endless engine options, and you can say you did it all yourself, and you can make a write up with lots of pictures to show us all!
as for who owns a duramax, i had one i bought it brand new it was an 07 nnbs and i didnt really care for it much so i traded it in and got a different truck.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:37 PM
TECH Addict

Well i didnt ask for opions on whether or not to do the swap but rather on how to do it. I got alot of "dont do its" and no "how to do its". As far as im concerned none of those opinions are the least bit helpful to me. It's not that simple to just stick a 38 hour head gasket swap on parts totalling $2200 (what i could do the entire swap for). Not to mention its $2500 for new injectors $1200 just to have them rebuilt. An LB7 duramax goes for about $5500 as a take out with a core charge so i wouldnt be able to sell my engine either.

Thank you for your reply though. I know the insuring and registering wouldnt really be a problem. I dont think i could fix and sell the truck for the $9k i owe on it and i still have a year and a half to pay on it. Not having smog is a huge advantage to me just like my 68 Firebird not having to pass smog. It makes mods endless.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:23 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Shawn MacAnanny
Let me ask all of you 'convincers' this. Who of you owns a Duramax? Who has owned one for more than a couple years? Who has owned one outside of a warranty and had to pay for any of mechanical faluires it has out of their own pocket? I am speaking from experience. I own both engines. I know what breaks on both engines. I know whats involved in fixing things on both engines. The LS1 is by far a superior engine for reliability, and cost effectivity and not a whole lot down on power from it. I'd be suprised in my LS1 was down more than 50ftlb torque from the Durmax.
Like I said before. I have an 03 (lb7) and an 06 (lbz). Both are out of warranty... no problems though, so I can't say how expensive they are...
Old 01-16-2009, 01:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

more power to ya man... if thats what you wanna do then you should do it.. pt hasnt always been so negative when people had off the wall ideas or questions... things have changed I guess... Good luck to ya, hate to see all this negative reaction
Old 01-16-2009, 09:37 AM
TECH Addict

I've also found a transmission controller for the Allison for $600 so it will just be a 6.0L swap backed with the best transmission in the word IMO (next to the T56 of course haha)
Old 01-16-2009, 01:50 PM
Teching In

Allison 1000 input shaft speed is only really rated to 4800rpm.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Headgasket isnt all that hard to replace on them.. now if the head is warped or another problem arises i could see it getting costly.. But i wouldnt bother doin all that work if you could sell ur Dmax and just get a 6.0/80E truck.

Now if you want to do the whole swap i would gut the underside of the truck and start over with all the stuff your gonna need. Now the 6L infront of the Allison is goin to be dissapointing. remember it eats alot of power and like someone mentioned its not rated to spin the RPMs your goin to do with the 6L.

But its all up to you. I cant help you with any of the swap cause ive never worked on anything like you mentioned..
Old 01-16-2009, 02:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by rcoolb2002
Allison 1000 input shaft speed is only really rated to 4800rpm.
Hmm i wonder who told you that Aaron
Old 01-16-2009, 05:35 PM
no title here

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just buy my HD and you will be better off. 6.0 with a cam and makes awesome power etc.

Quick Reply: Who has swapped 6.0L/4L08e into 01 Duramax/Allison Silverado