Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

who stocks MLS head gaskets?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 10:17 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mattrem
Are you looking for a thinner gasket Grippy? I think the Felpro is .043 or .045. You want to ask BigTex he helped me with this question, I ended up using the GM MLS gasket.
Yes, looking for a slightly thinner gasket, about an .045 compressed, I'll do some research on those Fel Pro's.
Old 11-05-2005, 10:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that is the one you are looking for, it is .043 I think not really sure. I think I saw it on the Summit site.
Old 11-05-2005, 10:43 PM
what a rush!

here's a pic of the SCE Titan gaskets:

Old 11-06-2005, 06:49 AM
TECH Resident

Are you looking to up the C/R? I think that is what you are up too? Looks like Parish just blew a head gasket today, I think he mentioned trying a copper gasket. I think those copper gaskets are what the f body guys are using with FI. It might be your answer, I have heard good things about the Fel Pro gasket, I was going to use it then with the piston to valve clearance getting close I used the stock gasket.

You better think about using bolts also, the driverside is too tight in the back IMO to use studs. I couldn't get the very last bolt out of the old head cause of the firewall, I had to put the new bolt in the new head and put the head on with the bolt in it. It is pretty tight on the driverside. I would use the GM bolts, just get new ones. Your going to have to take the exhaust off after the first heat cycle to retorque the ARPs , that is going to be a PITA!
Old 11-06-2005, 11:03 AM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by mattrem
Are you looking to up the C/R? I think that is what you are up too? Looks like Parish just blew a head gasket today, I think he mentioned trying a copper gasket. I think those copper gaskets are what the f body guys are using with FI. It might be your answer, I have heard good things about the Fel Pro gasket, I was going to use it then with the piston to valve clearance getting close I used the stock gasket.

You better think about using bolts also, the driverside is too tight in the back IMO to use studs. I couldn't get the very last bolt out of the old head cause of the firewall, I had to put the new bolt in the new head and put the head on with the bolt in it. It is pretty tight on the driverside. I would use the GM bolts, just get new ones. Your going to have to take the exhaust off after the first heat cycle to retorque the ARPs , that is going to be a PITA!
Lookin to restore my compression back to 9.4-1, otherwise I will fall to 9.1-1, but more importantly I want to get quench in .035-.040 range. I actually won't order Head Gaskets until I measure the piston deck height, just to make sure I dont get anything to close.

I will be using Head Studs, remember I have a 2500HD, so there's more room back there
Thanks for taking a minute to help me out with advices, I appreciate that
Old 11-06-2005, 11:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used copper head gasket back in the good old days racing sportscars.Back then,the reality was retorqing heads on a regular basis something you younger guys have never had to do,due to advances in head gasket technology.Copper head gaskets are very strong and can be reused,but do require retorqing on a regular basis.If you do not retorque they will leak and you might not know where the leakage is.On my TR4 racecar the heads were retorqued for every race weekend.
Old 11-06-2005, 12:34 PM
TECH Resident

I will be using Head Studs, remember I have a 2500HD, so there's more room back there
Thanks for taking a minute to help me out with advices, I appreciate that [/QUOTE]

Just trying to help you out there buddy, I know you have done alot of engineering over there. I think it will be worth it in the end.
Old 11-06-2005, 06:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Fels are .041 compresses. Hence the 1041 part number. The SCE's are made in a .036 too I think!
Old 11-07-2005, 11:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 135 Likes on 89 Posts

Grippy, why are you wanting a 4.030 bore?? I just ordered a set of Cometic 4.00"/.040" gaskets from FMS for my 6.0 build. Cometic pn is 5477.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:44 PM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by BigKID
Grippy, why are you wanting a 4.030 bore?? I just ordered a set of Cometic 4.00"/.040" gaskets from FMS for my 6.0 build. Cometic pn is 5477.
if 4.00" will clear the bore then I'd rather have those. Isn't the bore actually 4.005?

Quick Reply: who stocks MLS head gaskets?