Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Who would you have build your new engine?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 09:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I choose 370 based on my readings. Better longevity.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
I choose 370 based on my readings. Better longevity.
Joe at Leftcoast tells me to stick with the 370. It will also be a cheaper build since the stock crank is plenty strong. I'm also debating on whether or not I should save my stock motor for later if I decide to go back stock or use the block and crank for the next build?
Old 06-13-2009, 09:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by scooter k
Joe at Leftcoast tells me to stick with the 370. It will also be a cheaper build since the stock crank is plenty strong. I'm also debating on whether or not I should save my stock motor for later if I decide to go back stock or use the block and crank for the next build?
I would use your current motor as the basis for the build, of course if you have another daily driver to driver around while the truck is down. A well build 370 should be just as reliable as your stock motor, so I see no reason to keep an extra engine on hand. It will save you a lot of $$
Old 06-13-2009, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
I would use your current motor as the basis for the build, of course if you have another daily driver to driver around while the truck is down. A well build 370 should be just as reliable as your stock motor, so I see no reason to keep an extra engine on hand. It will save you a lot of $$
HKE is showing 1300 if I don't have block and crank so that is what I will save. I have a good friend that keeps telling me to save the stock motor and trans if I ever want to sell it then I can put them back in. I don't know if it would be worth it or not? Transmission core charge is another 750. I do have another guy that offered me 2000 for my long block 6.0.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

We have several machine shops locally that tell me they can do it. They don't do hardly any LSx type motors so they don't have deck plates. I want to spend a little extra on it to make sure it is done right so I don't have to mess with it again. I'm actually thinking about saving my original motor if I ever decide to go back stock again and just transfering parts needed to the new motor but leaving stock long block together.
I just had a local machine shop do mine, theyve done mine and my grandpas dirt track motors for years. they are local and if i have problems they are not far away. besides your tax money is going to your city and not another city..btw im sure in your area there are plenty of dirt track engine builders around
Old 06-13-2009, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dirt track racer 81
I just had a local machine shop do mine, theyve done mine and my grandpas dirt track motors for years. they are local and if i have problems they are not far away. besides your tax money is going to your city and not another city..btw im sure in your area there are plenty of dirt track engine builders around
Yes there is lots of dirt track motor builders. That is about all they want to do is sbc motors. I'm sure they can build you a killer sbc but they don't see many LSx motors. I have a buddy with a TBSS that he forged and had the machine work done at a local place. It came back with metal filings all over it like they surfaced a head right over top of the motor. He wasn't real impressed. He has oil burning issues and thinks they screwed something up.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes there is lots of dirt track motor builders. That is about all they want to do is sbc motors. I'm sure they can build you a killer sbc but they don't see many LSx motors. I have a buddy with a TBSS that he forged and had the machine work done at a local place. It came back with metal filings all over it like they surfaced a head right over top of the motor. He wasn't real impressed. He has oil burning issues and thinks they screwed something up.
thats one shop i wouldnt take nothing back to
Old 06-13-2009, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dirt track racer 81
thats one shop i wouldnt take nothing back to
I agree there. They are supposed to be one the better shops around too. I lost all confidence in them. That is pretty much why I have been looking somewhere else.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:10 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

stock48 built his own 370 and its a 10 sec truck too. he knows his stuff, contact him
Old 06-14-2009, 01:41 AM
Truck Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would check out LME

Quick Reply: Who would you have build your new engine?