Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Who's running ET Streets?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2004, 03:00 PM
MOOBIES Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Who's running ET Streets?

I just found that M/T makes a ET Street in 27x10.5x16, and they're $167.99/ea. Just the size that I wanna run, but I've heard baaaad things about running ET Streets with radials up front. I've looked and looked for a suitable bias ply tire to run up front, but haven't been able to find one yet.

For those running ET Streets--how does your truck handle on the big end? What kind of pressure are you running, and what are your short times? What size?

And for those that are running anything other than REAL street radials at the track--what are you kind of tire are you running (brand/size) and what kind of rim are they mounted on (stock alum/steel or aftermarket, size)?
Old 08-07-2004, 03:26 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's really not a big deal.

I ran 15" ET Streets on my T/A with my stock 17" Nitto radials in the front and had zero issues except at 10psi at 123mph. Then it felt a lil wishy washy but still not enough for me to lift. I also ran no front sway bar so I'm sure that didn't help.

I cannot give you a definate opinion since I never ran em on a truck but on my T/A I had no problem running the ET Street with a radial up front and neither do the 30+ members in my LS1 club.

Ohh, and any horror stories you have heard about ET Streets in the rain or even spinkler runoff is probably true.
Old 08-07-2004, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I run the 26x11.5x16 M/T, but it's time for some new ones. It used to squirm on the other side w/ 15 psi. Best 60' of 1.73. I wonder if 26x10.5x16 would be better being that it would fit the rim better?
Old 08-07-2004, 03:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

I've got that exact tire mounted on a factory rim. I usually run 12-16 psi in them and get mediocre results. I usually get 1.88'ish 60' times. I hit it hard on the bottom though and I don't think I have figured out the CalTracs yet. That and I was still using the G80 only locking sometimes when I would launch. We will see how they work when I get things buttoned back up ... hopefully this weekend.

Running them at that tire pressure it wobbles like hell, and honestly is a little scary. I've heard that it might be because of the narrowness of the stock rim and that with the right size width, it would be a lot more stable. It really feels like running on flats, the way the tail end wants to dance a little.

Something else I've thought that might be contributing to my low 60' times is the tire spinning on the rim. I plan on checking that when I go back too.
Old 08-07-2004, 03:33 PM
MOOBIES Moderator

I think the 27's would fit the stock rim even better....

Size: 27 x 10.5-16LT
Rim: 8''
Tread: 8.9''
Section: 10.6''
Diameter: 27''
Old 08-07-2004, 03:40 PM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

Bias ply drag tires wobble at speeds in excess of about 100mph on anything. My olds had 15x12 inch rim with ET's and it did the same thing going thru the traps at 123mph or on the street "feeling it" in high gear around 100mph. It's not because of the mix of bias tires with radial fronts, its because of the wrinkle wall carcass (soft sidewall) which helps put more contact patch down and get a better bite, and the fact that they only have 10-12lbs of air in them. They say that on Dump Trucks and other big rigs that mixing bias with radial tires can cause the truck to turn over, so I'm sure that "SOME" of that same principle would come into play in any vehicle, although not as severe. I thing DRAG Radials are the best bet. Let's face it, guys are putting down 1.2x 60' times now on radials, although that is with a full drag suspension. I don't see why one of these trucks with a little suspension work wouldn't hook on drag radials, at least down in the 1.6-1.7 60' times. I know this may be tought to believe, but I saw a NOVA at the track last week (leaf spring rear still in car) with RANCHO RS9000 adjustable shocks! I always thought these were for off-road 4x4's until I say him going 10.70's with 1.6x short times! He said he had them set all the way soft with some worn out old front shocks in order to get weight transfer....and it sure looked like it was working. I just don't like the idea of a 4500+ lb vehicle on a tire with 10-12lbs of air in it going 100-115 or better mph. I'm gonna keep runnin' radials. I know my truck isn't fast now...but I have every belief that it will be in the mid 13's on the motor and hopefully spray into the 12's. SCREAM, I'm hoping my truck runs as good as yours does, and I'm hoping to do it on radials....even if they are drag radials.
Old 08-07-2004, 06:00 PM
14 Second Truck Club

the question of the day. ey , MIKE?
Old 08-07-2004, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old setup was 20's for the street and 16's for the track, 215/70-16 continental touring tires on stock 16 steel wheels.
Mt 28x11.50 16 Et Streets in the rear on Centerline 16x8 billets.
I ran this setup because it was 28" tall all the way around and sometimes I left them on driving to and from the track, 160 mile round trip.

under 25 psi on the et streets was drivable but you just had to be careful on corners. I got caught in the rain a few times but as long as I didn't floor it no problems. I wouldn't want them on all the time.

My new set is the 305/45 -18 in the rear 295 up front and there awesome for were my truck is power wise. I dont' have alot of rwhp so the tires are working great.
I love not having to switch them at the track. I have put almost 3000 miles on them this year and plenty of tread left
Old 08-07-2004, 11:52 PM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

Originally Posted by creederado
Old setup was 20's for the street and 16's for the track, 215/70-16 continental touring tires on stock 16 steel wheels.
Mt 28x11.50 16 Et Streets in the rear on Centerline 16x8 billets.
I ran this setup because it was 28" tall all the way around and sometimes I left them on driving to and from the track, 160 mile round trip.

under 25 psi on the et streets was drivable but you just had to be careful on corners. I got caught in the rain a few times but as long as I didn't floor it no problems. I wouldn't want them on all the time.

My new set is the 305/45 -18 in the rear 295 up front and there awesome for were my truck is power wise. I dont' have alot of rwhp so the tires are working great.
I love not having to switch them at the track. I have put almost 3000 miles on them this year and plenty of tread left
Are you running the Nitto Drag radials? And what are you running on the front, 295/45?/18 and are they also Nitto's...or are you running a different brand?
Old 08-08-2004, 08:56 AM
MOOBIES Moderator

Originally Posted by BADMOFO
Are you running the Nitto Drag radials? And what are you running on the front, 295/45?/18 and are they also Nitto's...or are you running a different brand?
My concern isn't with the D/R's potential to hook, but more with the fact that they're all intended for cars and are SHORT! I really don't feel like coming up w/ the money to get a set of 18's for the track only.

Why can't they just go ahead and release this tire?

Size............P. Code.....TW.....SW.....Dia......Cir.....Rim
275/55R16...ROD-08R.....8.8....10.9...28.0....88.0....9.0

Quick Reply: Who's running ET Streets?