Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Why is my oil everywhere but in the engine?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 11:47 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why is my oil everywhere but in the engine?

On my recent drive to Orlando I burned a load of oil. Between the drive there and back about 4 quarts. I thought I found the issue. I was doing a compression test suspecting the worst when I found #7 and #5 plugs to be fairly loose. I crawled under and it looked as if oil had been squirting from those to plug holes. My drivers’ tire was COVERED with oil and there was spray and allot of other areas nearby. Anyway, I put it all back together and it still wouldn't hold an idle in gear worth a crap but it was getting better. Today I am looking under the hood and find oil in the pan of my air filter area. I pulled it apart to find this. WTF-O?

I know that some oil in the J tube is normal but why it blowing all the way back out the filter element? Intake valve seal going bad? I cleaned it all up and am about to go out and put it back together.

Background:

The burning oil issue could have been a slow growing problem but the dieing when put into gear only started after two 2nd gear blasts to get some info on a TechII. What could I have damaged or could it all be relate d to the oil issue? I'm really beginning to hate this truck
Old 03-21-2006, 12:13 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That sucks dude I have been fight oil issues myself Hope you figure it out.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:32 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did the compression test come out? Your idle problem is because there is oil on the Mass air meter but that much oil is ussually caused by a bad PCV system or a blown piston.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:38 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! Don is in here? Sweet lol
Old 03-21-2006, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
How did the compression test come out? Your idle problem is because there is oil on the Mass air meter but that much oil is usually caused by a bad PCV system or a blown piston.
Well, the compression test was only half done and then only done half right. The truck was dead cold, it had been sitting for over a day. Also, I didn't hold the pedal down to open the TB. I'm not sure if the drive by wire systems require that or not. The pressures were
1-75
3-70
5-87
7-75
but being cold and not sure if the TB was opening, I don't know what that's worth. I will check the PCV valve
Old 03-21-2006, 02:04 PM

Ok, went out and screwed with it a littel more after doing a few searches on here. Check out these pics and tell me what you think. Is it normal for oil to be burning and smoking out the vlave covers like this? Also, the tube was already starting to collect oil and it was only idleing in the driveway. I'm pretty sure this is where my oil deposits in the intake tube and filter is coming from. Why is the question?
Check out my clean exhaust No white smoke at startup or while running but it drips nasty crap out of it. Ideas?
EDITnote for guys without a Radix) I removed this hose from the bottom of the radix intake tube, where is slides onto the metal barb. So all that smoke would be pouring into the TB or running down the tube back to the air filter.

Old 03-21-2006, 02:10 PM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

i wouldnt wory about the water coming from the exhaust. just carbon getting washed out a lil. i have no clue about the rest of your problems
Old 03-21-2006, 02:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by F8L Z71
Wow! Don is in here? Sweet lol
That is what I was thinking. Usually he only come over here to make sure I dont say anything too stupid
Old 03-21-2006, 02:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I hate to say it, but the only time I have seen smoke like that coming out of a breather tube is when there is a SERIUSE blow by problem from a VERY high mileage motor, broken ring, or a large gash in a cylinder or some thing along those lines. You need go do a full compression test on that thing, and also a leak down test.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

How many miles was that motor supposed to have had on it?

EDIT: After rereading your thread and looking at you compression test number (which are way low, should be up around 120+ for a healthy motor) I think you just have a worn out motor. The oil coming out your spark plug holes is blow-by, same with the smoke coming out of the breather tube. There is really not a fix for it other then a new motor, sorry to say it .

Last edited by kbracing96; 03-21-2006 at 02:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Why is my oil everywhere but in the engine?