Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Why is my oil everywhere but in the engine?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 02:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kbracing96
I hate to say it, but the only time I have seen smoke like that coming out of a breather tube is when there is a SERIUSE blow by problem from a VERY high mileage motor, broken ring, or a large gash in a cylinder or some thing along those lines. You need go do a full compression test on that thing, and also a leak down test.
I second everything he said. That is a double puker right there.
That looks like a hard steady stream of blowby out the cap. Not a slight puff like it should be. compression test and leakdown are definately a must. Unless you can't handle the truth
Old 03-21-2006, 03:05 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kbracing96
How many miles was that motor supposed to have had on it?

EDIT: After rereading your thread and looking at you compression test number (which are way low, should be up around 120+ for a healthy motor) I think you just have a worn out motor. The oil coming out your spark plug holes is blow-by, same with the smoke coming out of the breather tube. There is really not a fix for it other then a new motor, sorry to say it .
The engine was said to have 18K when I got it and I've put about 4K on it so less than 25K.
I will do the compression and leak down tonight. I would like instructions on the leak down. How long should I wait and what is a decent drop rate? Also, do I need to hold the gad pedal down while doing the compression check?
Old 03-21-2006, 03:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How about blocked oil drains in the heads. Allowing oil level to get high enough in the valve covers and oil to be sucked into the PCV system. I've seen it happen. I would think that that oil level would probably get low enough to set off the add oil light.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil smoke issues

Not to seem like a self-proclaimed guru,but there might be some light at the end of the tunnel:

There are several things to be addressed with this type of problem occurring:

First,this could be a worn engine, but this would be the least likely scenario
LS- based engines aren't well known for boost friendly pistons, or ring seal
It is possible that under boost,by the way how many lbs. are you running?, that the ring seal is being compromised by inadequate crankcase ventilation, aka=pcv problem, a vacuum pump similar to those used on race cars may do the trick, and aren't that expensive, or I could tell you how to make one
Check out the boost,b/c you might be overboosting and might not know it.
Another possibility is that you may have worn valve stem seals and there is a blow by on the valve side into the cylinders, but doesn't explain the oil in the maf, or filter.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by KySilverado
How about blocked oil drains in the heads. Allowing oil level to get high enough in the valve covers and oil to be sucked into the PCV system. I've seen it happen. I would think that that oil level would probably get low enough to set off the add oil light.
How do I check for blocked oil drains?
Old 03-21-2006, 03:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

For the comp test, I'd just unplug the coil packs, pull all the plugs out and block the TB open, so everything spins easy.

For the leak down test, you will need a air compressor and a leak down test gage with 2 gauges. Don't remember what the exceptable able limit of leakages is, but I was thinking 5-10%. It should be done with the piston at TDC.

Less then 25k you say, that's hard to believe given the blow by coming out of that breather tube unless it was a poor re-man job.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jrodenali
Not to seem like a self-proclaimed guru,but there might be some light at the end of the tunnel:

There are several things to be addressed with this type of problem occurring:

First,this could be a worn engine, but this would be the least likely scenario
LS- based engines aren't well known for boost friendly pistons, or ring seal
It is possible that under boost,by the way how many lbs. are you running?, that the ring seal is being compromised by inadequate crankcase ventilation, aka=pcv problem, a vacuum pump similar to those used on race cars may do the trick, and aren't that expensive, or I could tell you how to make one
Check out the boost,b/c you might be overboosting and might not know it.
Another possibility is that you may have worn valve stem seals and there is a blow by on the valve side into the cylinders, but doesn't explain the oil in the maf, or filter.

The only problem with what your saying is that would occur while in boost. The only time I have seen that much smoke coming out at idle is with a bad blow-by problem. At idle, everything is in a state of vacuum, and there is no pressure.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:36 PM

I'm running 8#'s
The valve seals were replaced with the new springs during engnie install (4k miles ago)
I also noticed what looks like the oil pan gasket leaking. I tightened the bolts a little but havent run it yet. Dont know if that has anything to do with the current problem.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:33 PM

The plugs:

Compression test to start soon.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:45 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you use rtv sealant where the t-chain cover oil pan and block meet. I didnt do that and spewed oil in 5.3. Sorry to hear you are having all these problems it will drive you mad and its something I know all to well

Quick Reply: Why is my oil everywhere but in the engine?