Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

why is my truck so slow????

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 07:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why is my truck so slow????

Im new to being a member, but not new to this site,
i wanted to ask u guys, Y is my truck so slow???
i have a 2000 silverado its a Z71 ext cab short bed, it weight in on the scale at 5560lbs, it has the 5.3 an 3.73 gears, i got edelbrock shorty headers true duels with flowmasters SlP intake with a ram air tube, an a superchips programmer, for stuiped things i also added E3 plugs 9mm wires, and gutted my mass air flow sensor i have 18x9 procomp 8089 wheels wit 285/60/18 nitto terra grapplers on it i ran it at the truck an it only ran a 16.4, i was hopeing for better time than that, i also have all these bolt ons on my truck an got distroyed by a same style silverado but with a 295hp 5.3L wit a Y pipe exhaust thats it, i thought it might be my bigger wheels n tires but with my stock ones i still lose, sometimes she'll eat the tires up off the line others it wont even chirp them, i wanted to have this truck at least run a hemi, or better beat a few, or at least run a mid 15 i was wonderin, wat do yall thing? is there somtin wrong wit the truck? or is this just the nature of it (naturally being a turd), i wanted to get something like a nelson tune, or hp tuner but im scared of things like that because i dont know how to use one, do yall think i would see a good difference on a nelson tune rather than the superchips? should i go ahead n get longtubes n off-road y pipe or something like a mild cam? i want a nasty truck, but it is also my daily driver, i hope yall that have the same troubles i do or drive the same truck that im sure would kill mine, have any answers for me? thanks very much
Old 03-07-2007, 07:22 PM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

First off yes a Nelson tune will be much better then the superchips tune, also by descreening you Mass airflow sensor you did more harm then good. The screen helps to keep the air flowing correctly over wires in the Mass airflow meter (MAF) The shorty headers are not going to give you much of a gain, and the tire size that you are running doesnt help any either.. Like you mentioned these trucks are also heavy, when doing mods just research and see what works and what doesnt. This site can be a great tool for getting info..
Old 03-07-2007, 07:30 PM
Teching In

thanks man, ur right i didnt notice much over the shorties, only a lil on low end very faint though, thanks for the help on the nelson tune, if u dont mind me askin, how much was ur tune? i still dont understand them 2 well do they send u a PCM or something like a chip that u plug in or is at i seen with the hp tuner on gm-high tech, with the computer? i am felin wat ur sayin on the screen in the MAF i felt a difference at first but it seems to have made the truck weaker, i dunno as i said one day it feels strong next day feels like its slower then it was stock
Old 03-07-2007, 07:34 PM
Mr. Obvious

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes the nelson tune will be MUCH better than the superchips, the only difference i can tell with the superchips is shift points no HP or TQ

longtube headers and off-road y-pipe will help alot with the nelson tune, might also consider some 4.10 gears and a lsd. a stall converter would help out too.

id get a stock mass air flow sensor from somewhere, as already stated, gutting it hurt you more than helped.

you mentioned a cam, so you might try a comp 212/220 hi-lift version and some comp 918 valve springs to go with it, or maybe a TR( thunder racing) 220 (220/220) cam

some 05-up electric fans would help too
Old 03-07-2007, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

That sounds about right for what you have. I run a 16.5 with what I have below in my sig. I'd like to get a run with some cooler air out...
Old 03-07-2007, 08:53 PM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

Concerning the Nelson tune, he sends you a tuned computer then you swap it with your stock one and send the stock one back to him. Ya the descreened maf is hurting you, I would just pick up a stock one to replace it dont mess with the aftermarket mafs. Doing a tune will help allot, I would also suggest getting a shift kit and servos for the tranny then you can take out some of the torque management in the Tune for better off the line performance etc. The factory settings retard the timeing when you go WO or downshift etc. This kills performance, however a stock tranny needs the torque managment in there. Adding a shift kit and servos will allow some of the torque management to be removed and also improving your 1/4 times by giving you a better 60' and faster and firmer shifts. Just some ideas for you.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:04 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those numbers sound normal to me...I ran 16.5@81.7mph on 33's when I had only bolt ons (FIPK, shorties and catback in 93* humid weather). My little cam, 02 injectors, and PCMforLess 02 PCM brought the same setup to 15.6@89.5mph. I haven't run it with the 31" 20's, efans, and longtubes yet though...
Old 03-07-2007, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Don't worry too much about the Mass Air w/o the screen, there have been a ton of people do it and their trucks still run ok.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:21 AM
Made in South Korea

How many miles on the truck? Whats your trap speed?

100k or miles I would buy a stall and a performance tranny.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:29 AM
formerly ByuTrukFreak

I wouldn't worry too much about the de-screened maf because the newer vehicles come without it.Get HP TUNERS!

Quick Reply: why is my truck so slow????