Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Why Is My Vortec Maxx So Slow

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 05:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get like like 13.5 avg and haul *** everywhere, I could buy a Prius but . . . no thanks
Old 10-13-2008, 06:02 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
BTW, I downloaded a HyperTech tune from a friends truck and compared it to stock and all that thing did was increase the upper RPM timing table 1-3 degrees... That is it....
Back when I bought my truck, nelson was one of the only custom tuners and you had to pull the pcm and send it to him so your truck was down for a while. I wasn't willing to do this so I researched all of the handheld programmer and found the Predator to be, by far, the best handheld programmer. With the Predator you are able to do all the normal things handhelds do, plus turn off torque management, modify injector slope, modify WOT Spark, modify WOT Fuel, disable rear O2s if your remove cats. You are also able to View Real Time Data such as IAT, ECT, O2s, LTFT, STFT, RPM, Speed, MAP, MAF, and Knock Retard. You can also connect the Predator to a computer and use a dataviewer to review real time data, you can backup your stock tune and custom tune. The best part is you can have DiabloSport or one of their resellers create a custom tune for you. I found this to be my best option at the time. With that being said, it still isn't as good as having a custom tune done. When I get headers and Cam, I will be getting a friend of mine to tune my truck.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Denali Dude
I had the same problem until I got a small round eavy friend called converter that gets you off the line in 3600 rpm (gotta love what that thing can do)
i see alot of you guys have under drive pulleys explain me the theory behind that

thanks
Old 10-13-2008, 06:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Didnt install it But I sold it. I was told it gives you some throttle response and I've see many people install these when they install a cam
Old 10-13-2008, 06:44 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by buster628
i see alot of you guys have under drive pulleys explain me the theory behind that

thanks
It turns your accesories (altenator, power steering, fan (if you don't have e-fan) which allows more power to the wheels. Gains generally aren't worth the cost of the brand new. I got mine from someone who installed a supercharger and got it for $75 shipped.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Denali Dude
Didnt install it But I sold it. I was told it gives you some throttle response and I've see many people install these when they install a cam
does your 08 have the 4cyl feature im sure it does if so does it work well for you or not cause mine never stays on very long
Old 10-13-2008, 06:55 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the tuner can mess with your DOD mode to make it work better.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:59 PM
Teching In

ok im new to all this stuff so you will have to tell me what a dod is......sorry guys please bare with me....also how do i upload a pic it tells me the file is too big...would like for yall to see my truck the pic under my name is a jerry bickel full tube chassis i am building started that car from the ground up
Old 10-13-2008, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the DOD disabled and got about 14 city and 18 highway. I don't think the DOD does much. My wife has a tahoe with dod and she gets 13 city and 16 highway. The Tahoe has a 5.3 vs my 6.0 truck. Now since I put the stall in it down to 11 in the city. Don't know yet on the highway.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

I got mine disabled too It didnt do anything for me and I hate it when It writes v4 Mode in the DIC I like to see a V8 Mode .

I was told that trucks with the VVT respond more with a tune than the 5.3's U can really see a big difference

Quick Reply: Why Is My Vortec Maxx So Slow