Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Why the UPD intake?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 10:03 PM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why the UPD intake?????

I am in the market for a conical intake set-up for my 5.3 ecsb silverado. Everyone seems to lean toward the UPD. I have been considering the MAC intake for several reasons. Number 1, it "claims" to put another 18.6 horsepower out, the highest "claim" I've heard yet. Number 2, it is polished and definately looks the best. Number 3, its only $199 at the RPM outlet. (www.rpmoutlet.com) Let me know what you all think. And before anyone talks out of their bunghole about the metal tube holding heat, you should check out HOTROD magazine's April issue where they tested two intakes and actually got more power out of the metal one. According to them, the air is only in the tube for like 1.2 mili-seconds (or some crap) and doesn't even heat up when they tried to heat the tube with a space heater. Does anyone have any tests (articles, comparisons) which may favor anyone system over the other. The new VOLANT ram air looks nice also, but $400 is like a big grip of cash. Holla!
Old 05-22-2003, 10:39 PM
Teching In

Default Re: Why the UPD intake?????

I wouldn't go for the MAC.....For it being metal it gets hot...REALLY hot during driving. I had a MAC intake on my Mustang and after driving for awhile it would get so hot you couldn't touch it. You could cook eggs and bacon on it. I say go for a K&N FIPK, I like mine, it's pretty cool setup. I felt a pretty good gain....Plus you can get it for around 220-260 depending on where you get it
Old 05-22-2003, 11:20 PM
TECH Addict

get the UPD for one simple reason: its a badmofo
Old 05-23-2003, 12:40 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The UPD is cool cause it almost looks factory. And their are dyno results on this site showing the UPD outperforming the FIPK by few hp.
Old 05-23-2003, 10:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Personally I would NEVER trust a companies "claims" about hp, unless there is a dyno sheet. Even with a dyno sheet I would always be suspicous.

The UPD has a REALLY nice super smooth bend and pipe design. Even the lid to the air filter box has a great smooth design for what appears to be the best design for high air flow.
Get some pictures of the UPD and compare them to the other air filter kits out there. You will see what I mean if you do this.

I spent MONTHS trying to decide what kind of intake system to put on my beloved 03 and I AM SURE the UPD is the way to go. You wont be disappointed. The only thing is the filter can be a pain to install. Just use some WD40 to slip on the pipe around the throttle body.
Old 05-23-2003, 10:45 AM
TECH Addict

fullfloatingHD, Can you direct me to that thread so that I may take a look and see the numbers? I have a K&N FIPK on my truck right now and I want to see if it would be worth it to sell the K&N and get a UPD.
Old 05-23-2003, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I chose a K&N fipk over the UPD just a week ago
Old 05-24-2003, 01:15 AM
TECH Addict

GReg {fast4.8 } has dyno results showing the UPD to be the better intake. I love mine
Old 05-24-2003, 02:44 AM
Launching!

I'd agree that the UPD is slightly, -slightly- better (power-wise) than the K&N but it is really flimsy, and easily broken. (Mine broke where the 3" hose connects to the tube). Fortunately I noticed that it was broke before the crappy glue that they use got into my engine.
Old 05-24-2003, 07:47 AM
Teching In

ok guys, but is the UPD smog legal? i need something that i wont have to change out every year to get it inspected?

Quick Reply: Why the UPD intake?????