Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Why the UPD intake?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2003, 12:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Why the UPD intake?????

ok guys, but is the UPD smog legal?
I don't believe it has a CARB (California Air Resources Board) number or is 50 state smog legal BUT since it's a closed intake unit you should NOT have a problem with smog or inspections IMO.

Oh ya, I have a UPD on my truck and LOVE IT!!!!
Old 05-27-2003, 09:18 AM
Staging Lane

okay I am still trying to decide here for my future purchase and I really like the look of the AEM intake will you guys check out these 2 links in regard to heat soak and tell me what you guys think

http://trucks.aempower.com/heatsoak.html

http://www.gcaindustries.com/steelvsplastic.htm
Old 05-27-2003, 06:58 PM
Staging Lane

wouldn't aluminum not necessarily conduct or heat soak that much heat because, now this may sound real stupid, but that is what aluminum foil is made of and you can put it in the oven and it never heats up? Just a thought.
Old 05-27-2003, 09:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

aluminum foil DOES heat up it just doesnt burn the outer layer of foods.

AEM's design is nothing but a gimmick.
Anyway the people at AEM are crooks and personally I wouldn't recommend contributing to their business.

I also think that the UPD is still the way to go.
I like the idea of having an enclosed air filter.
Every open filter I have EVER had, like the K&N, AEM, has always gotten VERY dirty. This dirt could possibly get into your intake pipes and engine. I also think an open air filter will draw in more under the hood heat than a closed box air filter like the UPD or Volant.

If not the UPD then the K&N filter charger. At least the K&N has a nice plastic pipe that will definitely stay cooler than the AEM. THe Volant kits look allright too.

Old 05-27-2003, 11:20 PM
TECH Addict

2nd the comment about the closed filter staying cleaner. my friend has an open filter Airraid, he's had to clean his filter twice already in 25K miles cuz it was full of dirt and bugs (just in the front i might add). i've had my UPD for about 15K now and just to check pulled the filter out the other day and it was barely dirty at all
Old 05-28-2003, 03:49 PM
Staging Lane

what about the volant systems? I don't hear much about them, are they decent? Is the piece where the silencer is on the stock intake and is on the volant slowing down incoming air greatly?
Old 05-28-2003, 03:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Here is my take on the Volant. Why put a cone filter in a box? The cone filters are made to pull air in from all the way around. Put a cone filter in a box with an opening on the side and bottom, and most of your flow will go right there since the suction is coming from that opening. Put a flat filter in a box with the opening on the bottom or side and you incoming air is more evenly dispersed. You can tell where cone filter do most of there suction by pulling it and looking for the dirtyest spots. A flat filter will not have a concentrated spot nearly as big or heavy as a cone filter. I've had Airraid, the FIPK and now the UPD. Yes, my dyno #'s were 2 months apart, so the gains I showed have been debated, but, the atmoshpheric conditions were less faverable on the higher dyno. So take what you want from it. I'll see if I can locate the thread where I had those dynos posted.
Old 05-28-2003, 04:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Here they are 2 months apart last year (K&N FIPK vs UPD). That was the ONLY change between dynos. Warmer temps on the better dyno even!

Here is the thread!
Old 05-29-2003, 06:46 AM
TECH Addict

Hey thanks Fast4.8 for posting the thread and your dyno results. I ordered a smoked UPD the other day using the GRP buy. The only thing that kind of sucked was that I had to pay tax because I live here in Texas.