Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

wierd probs w/ whipple??

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2003, 12:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wierd probs w/ whipple??

ever since i put on the whipple, my coolant temp guage acts funny. sometimes it won't even move and when it does it will bounce all around the 185' mark. anybody elses do this? i unplugged the whipple computer and drove around for awhile and the temp guage was back to normal but went crazy again when i hooked it back up. do u think i need to call whipple and get a new box? also, i was miising a wire in the harness. the blue one-way that is supposed to tie into the tps was not there, i took apart the whipple connector and there was no wire in the pin# it should have been in. think that could be a problem too? thanks
Old 04-27-2003, 10:42 AM
TECH Resident

Default Re: wierd probs w/ whipple??

mine does the same thing... steven at the tech department @ whipple assured me the gauge was suppose to fluxuate. He said if the stock computer noticed a drop in the coolant then it would send a error message. Whe whipple computer moves the needle around so it fools the stock computer. I think its kinda stupid myself. Also they no longer use the blue wire. I think it is pin #20 throttle position sensor. I installed the kit myself last weekend and had the same ?.
Only i couldnt find anyone to answer my questions. I ended up going to radio shack and found a pin for the whipple computer that would fit and installed the blue wire myself.
only to find out the next day it did nothing! haha. it ran the same with or without the blue wire. I have a couple questions for you though. does yours sound like a bearing is going out when it is idling? Mine does and also i hear it slightly all the time with rpms above 1000. I think the engine might hear this as detonation or knock and mess up the timing. I think this cause i got no real performace enhansment from the supercharger. grrrr. what do you think? any wierd noises other than the slight whine?
Old 04-27-2003, 11:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't care if they say it should do it or not...that's bs.My guage works perfectly fine as it did before the Whipple.No problems with the needle bouncing or flucuation.If it tricks the stock computer into thinking different coolant temps,couldnt that screw with fuel delivery...one second the trucks thinks it's 185 then the next its 160....doesnt make since to me that this would be considered normal.My whipple computer only had wiring that would splice into the PCM wiring to moniter various sensors.Nothing that looked like it could change the operation of or affect any sensors,much less comunicate with the PCM to mess with the instrument cluster.I would go back and check all my wiring and make sure there is none suspect of a bad connection,the guage fluctuation could be from poor wiring contact and a voltage problem for that sensor.
The noise from the charger is normal.Kind of growling noise just like a bearing going out.The noise isnt enough to affect the knock sensors and pull timing,I only hear it a idle,when the charger spools up under load and while driving it turns into a slight whining noise.I've checked for Knock retard and have seen none at WOT.I have picked up some at part throtle at times,I believe it's false knock on my truck because the KR spikes to a number then counts back down to zero as rpm's increase.The charger could be responsilbe for that,or it could be my exhaust.It doesnt do it all the time and its only at part throttle accell when it does.
As far as the performance goes...get a custom tune done.The Whipple is trying to do it's job but the factory tuning and PCM wont let it perform at its fullest potential.
Old 04-27-2003, 11:59 AM
TECH Resident

the noise i hear i just cant bring myself to accept. its just too loose sounding. even under a load. also... how much faster was your truck when you installed the whipple. i only gained 4 mph.
from 88 to 92. i was runnnig a 15.7 stock.. i will be suprised if im in the 14s at all.
another thing... when im got any boost going and my rpms are from 2600 to 3000, my truck starts hesitation and slight bucking. as soon as im above 3000 its smooth. any suggestions?
Old 04-27-2003, 12:04 PM
TECH Resident

1 more thing, one of the wires we had to splice into was the engine coolant temp. sensor. dont you think its possible the whipple computer could be moving the temp gauge by interfering with the signal?
Old 04-27-2003, 12:34 PM
TECH Addict

1 more thing, one of the wires we had to splice into was the engine coolant temp. sensor. dont you think its possible the whipple computer could be moving the temp gauge by interfering with the signal?
That's why I think it may be more of a poor wiring connection than anything else.Did you solder all your connections?I soldered mine and used shrink tube.I havent had any problems with my temp guage operation.
As long as you have the correct oil level dont be concerned about the noise from the charger.Make sure you are not overfilled...it will damage the charger.It's better to be a little under filled than over.I believe it has straight cut gears in it and thats why it make that noise.
You are probably running into a torque managment problem.A custom tune will rid you of that.You need to find someone with some type of scan tool that can read live data,check your 02 sensors,check for knock retard and look at your timing.
Old 04-27-2003, 12:40 PM
TECH Resident

yes i did use solder and shrink tube. but im only human so i will go and check my connections. since the tech said it was normal and its happening with me and others.. maybe your connections are wrong. just a thought. although if it was wrong the indicator light would probably flash an error code.
Old 04-27-2003, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah, i soldered all connections too and when i unhooked the computer the guage acted normal so that can't be the problem. btw: i'm getting the custom tune for my predator as soon as i can get them on the dang phone! also going for a yank 3000 and built tranny in the next few weeks. guess i'll have to call whipple and curse alittle and straighten this out.
Old 04-28-2003, 07:39 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Yeah, mine acts weird, too. Try just sitting still in park and flooring the pedal momentarily-enough to rev 3000-4000 rpms. You might have to do it a couple times. The guage will go down to the "cold" mark and then come right back. If you watch on a scanner the IAT is doing weird stuff too. My whipple computer is coming off this week as soon as the bigger injectors get here. This is what is causing my timing to go negative at the launch, too.