Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Will 20" (silverado ss) rims really hurt my performance THAT much?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 06:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Will 20" (silverado ss) rims really hurt my performance THAT much?

Hey gang,

I have an 04 RCSB 2wd truck with the 3.73 posi rear and sitting in front of that is a 4.8L with a 5 speed. I am running the stock steel 16" rims with michelin LTX M/S's on there now in a P255/70/16 Size. I recently bought a set of new take off Silverado ss rims with the factory goodyear LS's in a 275/55/20 size. I haven't put them on my truck yet and won't be able to for a couple of months because my truck is in storage. I have no mods done to my truck other than a predator programmer. The truck goes as fast as i need it to go right now and is pretty peppy. By upgrading to these tires/rims will I really be downgrading? After buying these rims I've been doing some reading and it seems as though people whine about performance and take off problems with large rims. What do you guys think? I don't race in the 1/4 at all but will changing these rims out make THAT big of a difference? I do notice the SS tires overall height is 2 inches taller than what I have now. (I have no idea on width). Is handling going to be that much better? Ride quality going to be good? Gas mileage? What have I gotten myself into?
Old 01-10-2005, 06:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it will be noticeable but not sure if it's worth worrying about. If however you wanna get rid of the wheels, I'd be more than happy to take them off your hands. YOu could always get a higher stall or lower gears to make up for it.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:24 PM
TECH Junkie

We'll see how I like them, but it won't be for 2 months yet. The tires only have 85 miles on them. When the dealership sold the truck, the customer ordered aftermarket rims. Then I picked 'em up from the dealership. Tires look like new yet. I was thinking if I like them, I would powder coat them black to match my truck for that stealth look
Old 01-10-2005, 06:27 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Problem is twofold. You are adding much weight and diameter.

The weight will slow you down for sure, especially when lackin TQ. Then the diamter is like 2" or more taller than your current wheel tire combo or close to it. That's going to bring your gear ratio down (numercially lower).
Old 01-10-2005, 06:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Also my truck is at stock ride height and it has the standard "smooth ride" suspension. Do you think the truck will have a goofy or silly stance at stock ride height with those rims? Also with the short wheel base do you think the wide tires will tend to "hunt & search" down rutted roads? These things look mammoth. Also the truck handled awesome with the 6.5" wide rims and 255 mm wide tires, I wonder how many % better the truck will handle. Can anyone speak from experience the difference in having a truck with 16's and stepping up to a 20"? I am dying to put them on and try them out to see how I like them.
Old 01-10-2005, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Uh yeah! I have some SS wheels powdercoated black andI think the actual total weight difference is 120lbs more. I can tell you this in your case it is gonna make a *** load of difference. I had a 4.8 with 4.10's,tune.etc... and I didnt even waste my time going to the track and running with them on. Hell I just put in a new motor(LS1) a couple of days ago and Im ready to go back to stock rims with the INDY 500's on just to put me back into reality. What I do is ride the 20's during the week and if I go to the track take 30 min to swap them out or pay $20.00 to have someone do it for you. I wanna say my buddy was like 6+ tenths slower with his! I had stock ride height for like 4 months untill I finally did the rear shackles and it didnt look that bad at all! I dont care for the tires that come on the SS wheels. I put some 295/45/20 Toyo Proxes ST's on mine!
Old 01-10-2005, 07:21 PM
12 Second Truck Club

I have the towing suspension on mine. If you look at the pics in my sig you can see difference before and after the 2" lowering shackles.
Old 01-10-2005, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dragonman0325
I think it will be noticeable but not sure if it's worth worrying about. If however you wanna get rid of the wheels, I'd be more than happy to take them off your hands. YOu could always get a higher stall or lower gears to make up for it.

stall won't help none

I agree on the gears though
Old 01-10-2005, 07:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

You will notice it not only in your acceleration but in your braking also.

Be sure to adjust your tune for the 32" dia tires (may show as 31.9"). Correct adj for tire size is important for speedo which plays a large part in shifting.

I would say 4.10 gears is a must to make up for the larger diameter tire. Adds a lot of zip for your everyday driving and will help you out reversing w/ a heavy load. Reverse is not as load friendly as 1st gear going forward.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Remember, this is a -speed truck so my left foot is the stall converter. My truck goes pretty damn good right now with the 4.8 but I don't want to lose a half second or more of 1/4 times. These tires don't even have more than 100 miles on them like I said eariler. I wonder if I should just unload the damn things before even putting them on my truck. I could spend that money elsewhere. You guys aren't telling me what I want to hear, but I know you're all right. Just pisses me off that I have to go to a mongoloid 20" rim to get something 8 inches wide. And I know I can get plenty of aftermarket rims that're 16 or 17x8 but I like to keep my stuff all GM. Aftermarket rims and I have never had good luck with balancing and smooth rides. Am I stupid for even thinking these rims would have worked out?

Quick Reply: Will 20" (silverado ss) rims really hurt my performance THAT much?