Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Will 20" (silverado ss) rims really hurt my performance THAT much?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 08:04 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TigerFan187
Uh yeah! I have some SS wheels powdercoated black andI think the actual total weight difference is 120lbs more. I can tell you this in your case it is gonna make a *** load of difference. I had a 4.8 with 4.10's,tune.etc... and I didnt even waste my time going to the track and running with them on. Hell I just put in a new motor(LS1) a couple of days ago and Im ready to go back to stock rims with the INDY 500's on just to put me back into reality. What I do is ride the 20's during the week and if I go to the track take 30 min to swap them out or pay $20.00 to have someone do it for you. I wanna say my buddy was like 6+ tenths slower with his! I had stock ride height for like 4 months untill I finally did the rear shackles and it didnt look that bad at all! I dont care for the tires that come on the SS wheels. I put some 295/45/20 Toyo Proxes ST's on mine!
Damn 6 tenths slower, i need to put some smaller wheels on my SS and go to the track!
Old 01-10-2005, 08:07 PM
On The Tree

the ss comes with 4.10s from factory for a reason. the wheel/tire weight thread says one wheel and tire mounted weigh 80lbs....
Old 01-10-2005, 08:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well wait a minute now, I just went into that thread myself for the tire/wheel weights and I see a 16" steel chrome wheel (which I have) wearing a Cooper M/S 245-75-16 Weighs 70 LBS. That's only 10lbs shy of the Silverado SS wheel/tire combo. Also I was looking other places tonight on the internet trying to find Silverado Regency RST 1/4 mile times. The Regency RST wears a 265-50-20 on a chromed aluminum rim. I don't know what these weigh but assuming wheel weight is the same between the SIlverado ss rim and the chip foose speeder, the only difference between the two tires is 1 1/2 inch height with the silverado ss rim being the taller of the two. The regency RST comes with a 3.73 rear end, 5 speed manual and a 4.8L identical to my truck's drivetrain. Does anyone have any idea what these regency trucks run in the 1/4 mile out of the box? Do you honestly think my truck is faster than a regency with stock 255-70-16 tires on it? It can't be that big of a performance drain if they're running rims/tires that big on a so called "performance" truck.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dont want to lose any 10ths if I dont have to and thats why I look good witht he 20's on during the week and Friday Night I roll the 16's to the track! If you are gonna through on a SC or Turbo then I wouldnt give a **** about the extra weight but if your talking about bolt ons then you will feel the differnce but then again youll get used to it. You can always justg use the 20's and measure your hp/tq/and ET's with the 20's. How hard is it to swap out wheels?
Old 01-10-2005, 09:27 PM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

I would sell the tires (way too tall for a 2wd, in my opinion) and try to score some 275/45/20's or maybe even something a tad smaller. I run 285/50/20's which are actually shorter than stock SS wheels/tires and my truck runs 3-4 tenths slower than it does with the Cadillac Escalade wheels and 275/55/17's. Braking is also VERY noticeable.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:28 PM
TECH Junkie

It's not hard to swap at all. And I'm not going to be doing any track racing. Just the occasional stoplight race. But if putting the SS rims on my truck are going to make it fall flat on it's face then it's a no go. My truck goes pretty damn good as it is right now. It's not a race monster by any means but I've taken my fair share of poor shifting Mustang GT's and Z28 camaro's with drivers who have sub-par shifting skills. Where I get people is out of the hole usually. Now if we're talking anymore than a .5 second slower 0-60 time than what I have now, just by putting wheels on. I just may think twice about keeping these. If it's only 2 or 3 10th's I'm not so worried.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:32 PM
TECH Junkie

BTW, what makes it so slow? Is it the fact that the wheel itself is so heavy or is it the overall height that's taking my performance away? Right now the 255-70-16's I'm running look just so-so for width but kinda wimpy for height. I have no plans on lowering the truck at all.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

If your just talking about street racing I would keep the 20's for a few reasons. First off they should handle an *** load better and you never know when you have to swerve to miss and oncoming car or animal and just buy my experience for some reason more people want to race when I have the 20's on! I guess its juat more noticable. Not that those tires are gonna suck or anything but if you can get a different tire it would be better and if you ever go to the track throw the 16's on! Plus 20's look real good on our trucks!
Old 01-11-2005, 09:04 AM
Teching In

275/45/20 is the size you want if you decide to change. I'd ride the 20's as they are with an open mind....Maybe all these changes to performance don't bother you so bad. Try'em, if you don't like them change tire size. Those wheels look good on our trucks.As far as stance, dropping the rear two inches with a set of shackles is inexpensive. I would'nt bug on the wheels till I tried them...
Old 01-11-2005, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

my centerlines weight less than a stock wheel, and i'm running 265/50/20 bfg kdws... and they only slowed me down minimally. it was noticiable, but only in traction, and slight low end. change out those big swampers for some smaller tires, and remember that gm factory wheels are crash rated, so they're much heavier. maybe aftermarket is your way to go if you want big wheels.

Quick Reply: Will 20" (silverado ss) rims really hurt my performance THAT much?