Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Will 20" (silverado ss) rims really hurt my performance THAT much?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 05:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm glad you are all giving your inputs on this thread. I really appreciate it. There's a lot of good reading on here. I cannot wait to do an actual real world test to see if i can even tell a difference. it's too cold to go into the back garage to do any measuring on my truck but I was just out in the heated garage looking at my SS rims. It appears goodyear likes to make a short tire for their "size". The SS tires although called a 275-55-20 are only 31 inches tall. An inch shorter than any tire calculator will tell you. I measured and remeasured and measured again and they kept coming up as a 31 inch tire. I would feel ripped if this was the size I was after but this is actually good news for me. That means that these tires are only 31 inches vs my 30 inch tires I'm running right now. I don't think running the 20's should make a real world difference, however the difference will probably show up on paper. A friend of mine has a G-tech unit that I'll have to try out this spring. I'll have to see what the difference is exactly. Perhaps going with a larger tire/rim will help for better launches but take away on the trap speed. It's so hard to say until it's actually tested. I'll have to retune the speedo to correct for taller tire. Now are the fuel or spark tables in any way tied into the vehicle speed/rpms? If so, recalibrating the speedo may bring performance back into scope.

Joe
Old 01-11-2005, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it is a small difference it could and couldnt hurt it all depends on your truck and your shift points and your sweet spots. More rotating mass sucks!
Old 01-11-2005, 08:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by hirdlej
My truck goes pretty damn good as it is right now. It's not a race monster by any means but I've taken my fair share of poor shifting Mustang GT's and Z28 camaro's with drivers who have sub-par shifting skills. Where I get people is out of the hole usually.
I'm sorry but I found this funny. I have your exact setup dude and when it was stock it wouldn't beat a late model Z-28 unless he misshifted into reverse! Now that being said I think you're getting some pretty excellent advice. Don't kid yourself and listen to what these guys are saying, you're going to lose some noticeble performance. It really depends on how in tune you are with your truck, it may not bother you that much but the double whammy of more rotational mass and taller gearing will make a difference. If you want to minimize the performance loss but you like the wheels, go with a shorter, lighter tire. You've got 2 months to sell them so I think it's a no brainer. Personally, I run a 17 because I think it's a good compromise between looks and performance.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

mine slowed me down .1 of a second over my stock 265/75R16's on the stock wheels.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:33 AM
On The Tree

IMO i think it is about one big decesion......
Are you going for style or performance....

I have 22's on my ECSB 2wd, specs are: 305/40/R22.....its a muthaF^#&er, compared to the 235/75/R16's that are stock and hell of a lot lighter. I notice it mainly from a dig, or quick breaking....im not going for performance though besides the basic I/H/E.....But on the plus side handeling is much nicer! Rides more like a luxury vehicle, not a truck. Handles better in daily driving too...

I want to walk out to my truck after college and work and look at my truck and think it is the baddest *** thing in the lot, and usually is...to me that is more important than loosing .5 seconds in the quarter mile....or loosing 1-2 mpg.

just my .02
Old 01-13-2005, 01:21 AM
TECH Addict

I have the SS rims and a 3000 stall and I lost half a second. I kept my stockers to swap out whenever I go racing. The SS rims get all kinds of attention though! "Hey where did you get a regular cab SS?" :-) I would keep them because they look so damn good. Also did you get the chrome or silver? I got the silver from a guy on here named BigTex
Old 01-13-2005, 07:07 AM
TECH Junkie

I ended up getting the silver ones. That way if I want to have them powder coated in the future I can do so and not have to worry about stripping chrome off. (I didn't think they could powdercoat over chrome plating). I can't wait 2 more months to drive my truck again. I eventually would like to get the SS rear bumper cover and SS front bumper cover for my truck. Then all I need is the SS Grille and I'll be set. There's no way I have enough money to buy all of that body cladding.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Kind of off topic but I have the SS 20's and they are powdercoated a mat black color and everyday people are asking about them expecially the Chevy guys but thats not my point here. The other day I was meeting this guy to pick up some LS1 fans at a gas station and this guy pulls up in a 03+ EC Hemi and pulled up to me and said Im gonna steal those rims man! I laughed and said "YEAH" Thinking to my self make that mistake. He was obviously kidding but he said he loved them and would like them on his truck even after I said they are from a SS! What a dumbass! Sorry to even get more off the topic but this needs to be told. I saw some ******* driving a 00-02 Silverado EC and this jackass had the Dodge 20's on his truck! Damn that pissed me off!
Old 01-13-2005, 10:27 AM
TECH Junkie

I don't want to hijack my own thread but howmuch did it cost you to get your 20's powder coated anyways? What do they need to do to get it to stick? Do they dip the wheel in anything to strip it down? Does it hurt the rim/metal?

Joe
Old 01-13-2005, 04:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i thought the dodge wheels were 5 lug?