Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

will commit murder over tuning issues!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2004, 09:41 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CRAZYCUTER4.8
they are they marine injectors, I went back & check the #'s. The odd thing about this is that when we first tested with the fmu screw out 1 turn the truck ran awsome! the Fuel trims were @ 0 to +2% as we drove I noticed the O2 sensors were dropping around 800 mv, we turned the screw in all the way and the O2 sensors were at 900-950. We get back to the house & I am thinking this should be easy! I adjusted the injector flow rate from 4.9 to 4.7 & adjusted the power enrichment up about 23% thinking that I can always turn the screw on the fmu to lean it out if needed. We drove it & the fuel trims were a tad rich @ -5% then at wot it started cutting out a little. I watched the O2's the first couple of times & they were @ 990. It never cut out until the 4th time we hammered it.

the odd thing is my dad keeps telling me it did not start until we had the cats cut off & the cutouts were installed. He then noticed that he lost a few pounds of boost, so we had ati send another pulley, then we noticed the injectors were pegged. So we get new injectors & the saga continues! The truck ran damn good before all ths started.

The fmu is working, we saw 100 psi of fuel pressure. I am wondering if the excess in fuel pressure is causing the injectors to lock up. I still am wondering how to tune using VE tables. I also am curious if anyone has an edit file similar to this one.

THANKS AGAIN FOR THE INPUT!
If they really are the 42 pounders, then you need to get rid of the FMU, and tune it with edit only. The FMU is unnecessary!

You have the IFR changed in edit for the 42 pounders right?
Old 11-05-2004, 10:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Black Blown 02
If they really are the 42 pounders, then you need to get rid of the FMU, and tune it with edit only. The FMU is unnecessary!

You have the IFR changed in edit for the 42 pounders right?
yes, I changed IFR twice, started at 4.9 then went to 4.7. When I get rid of the fmu should I tune by VE or PE tables, and where do I start? I am worried about running to lean & cooking pops 6.0, I would never here the end of it, yeah my son cooked my lq9
Old 11-05-2004, 10:05 AM
12 Second Truck Club

yes, I changed IFR twice, started at 4.9 then went to 4.7. When I get rid of the fmu should I tune by VE or PE tables, and where do I start? I am worried about running to lean & cooking pops 6.0, I would never here the end of it, yeah my son cooked my lq9
I haven't touched my ve tables. I'd just start high with the pe tables, and slowly work your way down. The IFR # sounds like it'll work.

What are your injector pulsewidths now? After you delete the FMU, keep an eye on your pulsewidths. That 33ms you reported a little earlier has me worried. You should be under 20ms to be safe.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Black Blown 02
I haven't touched my ve tables. I'd just start high with the pe tables, and slowly work your way down. The IFR # sounds like it'll work.

What are your injector pulsewidths now? After you delete the FMU, keep an eye on your pulsewidths. That 33ms you reported a little earlier has me worried. You should be under 20ms to be safe.
what are your pe tables set at? Is there any way you can email me your edit file?
Old 11-05-2004, 10:18 AM
12 Second Truck Club

what are your pe tables set at? Is there any way you can email me your edit file?
PE tables are dependant on what the IFR and fuel trims are. Mine are at like 1.05. Theres no way I would trust copying PE tables though. Theres just too many variables to just have 1 number work for 2 different setups. Just start high, do 2 seconds of wot, and check your 02's. If they're not above .920 or so, raise them. If you start pretty high with the PE though, I'll bet you have to bring them down.
Old 11-08-2004, 05:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

This is fu#@ing crazy! I have a really hard time believing it is the tune! This weekend I must have tried 20 different pe tables! I even tried it each time with & without the fmu.When I had the fmu on I had the screw all over the place, I literally spent 12 hours tuning this beast. I am at my wits end with this, this is driving me nuts! I have listed a rundown of everything that has transpired. I am quickly running out of options & I am starting to wonder if it will ever be resolved. Brad over @ B & M seems to be getting more & more aggrivated every time I call.

*problem started when cats were cut off
*replaced pulley to regain lost boost & problem became more prominant(cutting out)
*saw O2sensors dropping out so replaced injectors
*O2 sensors still dropping out (believe this is caused by overly rich)
*maf reads a bit eratic when truck starts banging out
*have been all over pe table
*ltft values are -2%
*ifr is @ 4.8
*have taken setup from identical SS WITH A WHIPPLE, non intercooled making 3 less pounds of boost same cam,stall,injectors, with the whipple electronic crap taken off & still does the same
* the ngk tr6 plugs indicate a lean condition

any input on pe tables or possible resilutions would be appriciated
Old 11-08-2004, 06:04 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4.8 is pretty rich for 42#s. It's just a straight conversion here. 42 lb/hr = 5.292 g/sec.

Right now you are telling the PCM you have 38# injectors so it is cranking in way more fuel then necessary. On top of that you boosted the PE by 23% and turned up your fuel pressure (effectively making the injectors even bigger) -- sounds like you might be super rich at WOT and drowning yourself out.

My advice:

Cut the timing way back (for safety)
set your IFR at 5.29
back out of the FMU
Do some light WOT runs and log your o2s to see if they are still crashing and to see if you are still cutting out

I run 44lb/hr injectors with an IFR of 5.52. I don't have quite enough fuel pump for 10psi (stock pump, no FMU), but don't go lean for anything under...
Old 11-08-2004, 06:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TurboBerserker
4.8 is pretty rich for 42#s. It's just a straight conversion here. 42 lb/hr = 5.292 g/sec.

Right now you are telling the PCM you have 38# injectors so it is cranking in way more fuel then necessary. On top of that you boosted the PE by 23% and turned up your fuel pressure (effectively making the injectors even bigger) -- sounds like you might be super rich at WOT and drowning yourself out.

My advice:

Cut the timing way back (for safety)
set your IFR at 5.29
back out of the FMU
Do some light WOT runs and log your o2s to see if they are still crashi

to see if you are still cutting out

I run 44lb/hr injectors with an IFR of 5.52. I don't have quite enough fuel pump for 10psi (stock pump, no FMU), but don't go lean for anything under...
WHAT PE TABLE MULTIPLIER SHOULD i START WITH? WHAT ARE YOUR LTFT'S?
Old 11-08-2004, 06:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

LTFT's don't derive from the PE table. The LTFT's are adjustments to the fueling derived from the STFT's under non PE mode conditions. The LTFT's given in PE mode are calculated or averaged figures. Instead of being concerned about your LTFT's at WOT, worry about them at part throttle. That's where they have the biggest impact. At WOT, you should only be looking at the o2 readings.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Flyer
LTFT's don't derive from the PE table. The LTFT's are adjustments to the fueling derived from the STFT's under non PE mode conditions. The LTFT's given in PE mode are calculated or averaged figures. Instead of being concerned about your LTFT's at WOT, worry about them at part throttle. That's where they have the biggest impact. At WOT, you should only be looking at the o2 readings.
JUST TRIED IT AGAIN! this time I set IFR TO 5.2 I noticed that the STFT's are positive quite a bit! Like 5-9%, the first time we nailed it ran like a crazy ape, no cutting out! the second time it did a little & progressivley got worse. the o2 sensors are reading fairly decent around 1020. the truck is making 5-7 psi boost @ 40 % throttle. The hotter it gets the worse it gets. I noticed the warmer it gets the worse the o2's start dropping out! Could I be washing the o2's with fuel? I was concerned that I was TOO lean before. By the way timing is at 15 degrees with no detonation. When it starts cutting out you can watch the boost flucuate

I set the pe table from 1.0891 - 1.1899 on the big end! this is from 3000 up!

Quick Reply: will commit murder over tuning issues!