Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Windage tray question

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 11:11 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windage tray question

I'm gonna run the LS1 windage tray with the truck oil pan. Is this okay or do I need to swap to the truck windage tray? The LS1 tray covers 6 of the cylinders. Or is this necessary for strokers and clearance?
Old 12-23-2006, 12:14 PM
TECH Addict

Why not just use the truck windage tray? That's what I did when I had an LS1 in my old truck.
For some reason, I want to say that the LS1 tray wouldn't work but I can't remember exactly why. I had both but used the truck tray in the end.
Old 12-23-2006, 04:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

The tray will need clearanced if you're buildinga stroker. If you use the ARP main studs, the fat washers that it comes with are suffecient though.

You will install the studs with the long ones to the outside. Once torqued, put the 2nd set of washers on the long studs on top of the nuts. Drop the windage tray down, I had to drill out the slotted holes to make them more round, and then put the lcoking nuts (silver) on to hold the windage tray in stock.

If you don't use the thick nuts in that spot , the rod bolts will put some notches in the windage tray.
Old 12-23-2006, 05:42 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Thanks for the info Flyer! The motor is already assembled with the LS1 windage tray. But, I need to get some the locks undone to put in the oil pick-up tube. How do I do this without screwing up anything? Also, how much do the caps need to torqued once the pick-up tube is in place? Thanks!
Old 12-23-2006, 06:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

The caps should already be torqueed before you ever think about the windage tray. You should only be putting nuts ON TOP of the windage tray sitting on the washers sitting on the 12pt nuts sitting on another set of washers for the main studs.

Confusing huh ....

You shouldn't be taking the main studs (12pt nuts) off to put on the windage tray or the pick up tube. The pickup tube is attatched with the windage tray nuts.
Old 12-23-2006, 07:21 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Flyer
The caps should already be torqueed before you ever think about the windage tray. You should only be putting nuts ON TOP of the windage tray sitting on the washers sitting on the 12pt nuts sitting on another set of washers for the main studs.

Confusing huh ....

You shouldn't be taking the main studs (12pt nuts) off to put on the windage tray or the pick up tube. The pickup tube is attatched with the windage tray nuts.
Yeah, I should have worded it different. It's already assembled from the machine shop. I just need to take 2 nuts off and install the oil pick-up tube.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:57 AM
5 year bitches!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ls1 windage tray is different then the truck one. no real benefit of it either tho. use proper try for proper application and use the spacers to lower the tray
Old 12-24-2006, 01:14 PM
14 Second Truck Club

How do you get the caps off of the windage tray to get the oil pick-up tube on? I noticed it had a lock or something in the center on the ARP caps.
Old 12-24-2006, 03:31 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nope the "lock" you are talking about is just an allen hole used to twist the stud down into the block. Just get the proper size socket to pop off the nuts you need and then re-tq them, I dont remember the tq spec off the top of my head, I would just use some loc-tite and snug em down good since they arent a structural part.
Old 12-25-2006, 02:05 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Nope the "lock" you are talking about is just an allen hole used to twist the stud down into the block. Just get the proper size socket to pop off the nuts you need and then re-tq them, I dont remember the tq spec off the top of my head, I would just use some loc-tite and snug em down good since they arent a structural part.
Gotcha!

Quick Reply: Windage tray question