Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

wiring harness for 4.3 to 5.3 swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2004, 09:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wiring harness for 4.3 to 5.3 swap

can i use a stock 5.3 harness or do i need to get a custom made one? where can i find a harness?
Old 07-10-2004, 12:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As I understand it (though I've never tried it) that swap in a 1/2 ton is a BITCH because you need to change out EVERYTHING from the fuel-pump to the radiator......wiring harness, motor mounts, exhaust, fuel lines, etc....I can speak with some experience here though because while I've never done it in a 1/2 ton I AM currently doing it in a 1998 S10, and if the S10 swap is ANYTHING like a 1/2 ton swap (and it should be ALOT alike because the motors/trannys are identical) your gonna have a REAL FUN TIME

the Vortec CPI 4.3 uses a completely different computer/fuel setup so NOTHING is compatible between it and the LSx motors
Old 07-10-2004, 12:26 PM
TECH Resident

Any harness from a v8 truck will work as long as the harness is made for the tranny you are using, I think there are slight differences in some of the years but im sure someone else here will know that answer
Old 07-10-2004, 12:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Yelo
As I understand it (though I've never tried it) that swap in a 1/2 ton is a BITCH because you need to change out EVERYTHING from the fuel-pump to the radiator......wiring harness, motor mounts, exhaust, fuel lines, etc....I can speak with some experience here though because while I've never done it in a 1/2 ton I AM currently doing it in a 1998 S10, and if the S10 swap is ANYTHING like a 1/2 ton swap (and it should be ALOT alike because the motors/trannys are identical) your gonna have a REAL FUN TIME

the Vortec CPI 4.3 uses a completely different computer/fuel setup so NOTHING is compatible between it and the LSx motors
that's about what i figured. the only thing that i thought wouldn't change with what you stated was the radiator.
Old 07-10-2004, 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Time To Trade

Trade It!
Old 07-10-2004, 12:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by therock
Trade It!
i'd rather not
Old 07-10-2004, 12:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I kinda meant everything up to the radiator....sorry for the mis-information, AFAIK you should be able to use the 4.3 rad.......

you DO have to change the fuel pump though......sorry
Old 07-10-2004, 12:57 PM
On The Tree

well i just found out that the radiator does have to change, as well as everything else you've stated, including the water pump. the real kick in the butt is the wiring harness for the 5.3. it's 614 bucks....and i'm not sure if it has to be modded any.
Old 07-10-2004, 01:02 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i say trade it too. your looking at alot of work and some money.

as far as the cost of a wire harness, you can buy a complete driveline that will include the computer, tranny, most of the wireing harness, pcm, lots of sensors, intake, TB, injectors, some accesories. probabably get all of that for under $3000, maybe under $2000 if you take your time and search for it.
Old 07-10-2004, 01:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by parish8
i say trade it too. your looking at alot of work and some money.

as far as the cost of a wire harness, you can buy a complete driveline that will include the computer, tranny, most of the wireing harness, pcm, lots of sensors, intake, TB, injectors, some accesories. probabably get all of that for under $3000, maybe under $2000 if you take your time and search for it.
so far my cost est. of the parts i would need for the swap, no counting what i have with the engine i already have is coming out to around three grand to complete. that's, of course, not counting any modding to the engine before a drop in.

to do the swap, here's the major parts i need so far:
radiator
fuel pump
ECM
motor mounts
water pump
wiring harness
a/c compressor
a/c hoses
starter

am i missing anything?

Quick Reply: wiring harness for 4.3 to 5.3 swap