Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Wiring question for F-Body injectors...

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 08:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring question for F-Body injectors...

I am installing 42# FMS 'Green Top' injectors in my 2000 5.3. I know I have to modify the fuel rail a bit, use longer bolts, etc. My question is whether the two wires that go to each injector are polarity specific. In other words, does it matter which wire goes to which terminal on the new Bosch-style connectors? Or is it OK just to have them connected? Does the injector operate if the wires are A->A and B->B the same as if they are A->B and B->A?
Old 08-27-2004, 11:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's a good question. I think it doesn't matter. I replaced two stock injector connectors not too long ago and the ones that I got from GM, had two white wires, no stripe, no nothing. Your stock harness however, has one solid color, one w/stripe.

If you were concerned with that and still don't have a firm answer, just look at which wire goes to the left and which goes to the right, then connect your new connectors the same way.
Old 08-28-2004, 07:58 PM
11 Second Club

it doesn't matter. if you want to be picky about it, you can just line up the wires with they way the sit now as opposed to the new connectors.
Old 08-28-2004, 11:33 PM
TECH Regular

I just got done wiring the connectors...I made sure every one of them was identical...with the pink on the left side as shown in the pics that XLR8NSS posted in the Fueling section. Once I get the fuel rail back in and the new PCM in it will either work or it won't. We will see in the AM. Thanks for the help guys!
Old 08-29-2004, 12:01 AM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you look at the stock wires, there is a common color wire which is ground. I spliced that common color wire to the black wire I used from the Fbody harness. I assumed that was the ground wire. It worked fine.
Old 08-29-2004, 07:57 AM
Launching!

Does anyone have a write up on how to swap to these injectors, I need to start my swap.
Old 08-29-2004, 10:03 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The wiring doesn't make any difference. All the injector is is a coil that when energized opens the valve and lets fuel flow. One wire has 12v any time the key is on and the other is a pulsed ground from the PCM.

Blown-just pull the 4 bolts holding the rail to the manifold and go get some new ones 3/4" longer. Get four 3/4" spacers of such a inside diameter that the bolts will fit through them. Lift the fuel rail up, pull out the old injectors, push in the new ones and then re-install the rail with the spacers between the rail and the manifold. Some guys say you have to slightly bend the crossover pipe to make it fit back in right, but I have done this on both my trucks with no tweaking needed. Very simple operation, no write up needed.
Old 08-29-2004, 10:15 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by blownZ71
Does anyone have a write up on how to swap to these injectors, I need to start my swap.
As L-Eater stated, it is a pretty easy procedure. Here is a writeup that helped me:

Injector Conversion
Old 08-29-2004, 10:17 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by L-EATER
The wiring doesn't make any difference. All the injector is is a coil that when energized opens the valve and lets fuel flow. One wire has 12v any time the key is on and the other is a pulsed ground from the PCM.
That's what I had thought - thanks for confirming my suspicions!
Old 08-29-2004, 05:15 PM
Launching!

Does it matter what color o-rings are attached to the bottom of the injector. The new ones I have are missing a few and I figured to just use the stock blue ones, is this O.K.? Also, should I use any type of lubricant on the end of the injectors before installing them into the manifold? Any other tips or tricks, I am installing them as I type this.

Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: Wiring question for F-Body injectors...