Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

a word to the TR6 users around here

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2004, 11:51 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a word to the TR6 users around here

well, i had TR6 plugs in my truck just in case i got the wet kit hooked up any time soon so i wouldn't have issues spraying. well, this morning i started it up, and half of them had taken a ****. turns out, if you're running them and you don't spray like once a week then they're pretty much useless and you'd be better off with a TR55. this is pretty much what CJ at Real performance motorsports told me this morning. i had to give it more than half throttle just to keep it idling and it was only running on the drivers side bank of the engine. so i pull the #2 plug and smoke just comes billowing out the plug hole. i freaked, but then realized it was the fuel and what-not. anyways, just a word to anyone that's using them that they can and from what i've heard WILL puke on ya if you're in cold weather and not heating them properly (??? what the guy told me) and if you're running them in an NA application. i replaced the plugs and it idles AWESOME, and runs 100% better than it did before. CJ thinks it's something to do with my 02s dumping to much fuel thinking that i have a lean condition and it's killing the plugs. needless to say it's off to RPM monday for a checkup and possible tune from one of the best EDITORS in the business.
Old 01-10-2004, 11:56 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting. I rarely spray, but always have TR6s loaded. I do change them every 10K miles though. They definitely foul up faster. I think I need to look into this a little deeper.
Old 01-11-2004, 12:07 AM
single digit dreamer

there is no doubt colder plugs dont idle as well, i drive for 2-3weeks at a time without any spray and it doesn't seem to run any worse. i am a little worried about my future plans with lots of boost and a little nitrous needing an even colder plug. i wonder if more ignition voltage would help at this point. i know we have a prety stout coil set up, is there anything better out there?
Old 01-11-2004, 12:13 AM
Banned

Parish, as far as idle...since i put the 55s in this morning my truck idles smoother, responds smoother, there's less bogging or hesitation in accelleration. felt like a big difference in power on the highway. i think the tr6s were just about dead in mine and that's what's been causing my truck to run so shitty lately. it's a 10fold improvement with these plugs over how it ran just yesterday. TEX, call CJ over there at RPM and tell him you talked to me about it and you wanna know basically his opinion. he had a bunch of things to say about'em and he knows his ****.
Old 01-11-2004, 12:13 AM
11 Second Club

parish, look at the recent "nos" post in here. the ones i listed are available in a wide variety of heat ranges.
Old 01-11-2004, 12:15 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by parish8
there is no doubt colder plugs dont idle as well, i drive for 2-3weeks at a time without any spray and it doesn't seem to run any worse. i am a little worried about my future plans with lots of boost and a little nitrous needing an even colder plug. i wonder if more ignition voltage would help at this point. i know we have a prety stout coil set up, is there anything better out there?
I think NGK R5671A-7 is one step colder than TR-6
Old 01-11-2004, 12:21 AM
? ? ? ? ? ?

I know someone who had the tip of a TR7 break off and get caught between the valve and seat. Broken piston and screwed up head was the final result. He was running a bad tune on a good shot of spray
Old 01-11-2004, 12:56 AM
Banned

when i put the cam in, the first time fired it up it crushed my #7 plug, the electrode was still on the plug, but it was pretty well smashed. the other 7 plugs were fine, so i changed'em and it ran fine till here recently. then last night it felt like it missed a few times when i drove it after i got it back together. then this morning it started fine and i took it to the shop to put the wheels on and when i killed it i went inside and about 40 minutes later came out and the plugs were done.
Old 01-11-2004, 12:59 AM
Banned

oh yeah, and i hooked it up and all i got was the usuall cam swap SES codes.

0121-TPS
0300-CRANK or CAM POSITION SENSOR (MISFIRE)
0405-EGR

also, any of you guys know what the 0100 and 0400 codes are?
Old 01-11-2004, 04:46 AM
TECH Resident

yeah I believe the idle issue with the 6s.....

Since the truck is bottle free, I really need to throw in the 55s back in...... I've been running off the 6s for quite a while now and I guess its no coincidence the idle hasn't ever been as smooth.

Quick Reply: a word to the TR6 users around here