Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

worked 862 casting heads....who has em'

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 09:04 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well richard is suggesting stage 1 job on my heads, for $700 he will do bowl work, valves, valve job/seats, and mill em'. my guy will do p & p, valve seats/valve job, bowl work, mill, and do a larger stock 2.0" valve, for$600. I supply springs for whoever. for another $200 my guy will do si stainless 2.02/1.60 valves. I have about $70 in shipping to wcch also. I know wcch does great work, but he seems high, for the difference in work done. I will call tsp tomorrow
Old 04-15-2009, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep us updated
Old 04-15-2009, 11:19 PM
something else

I would pay a little more money and send it to a well know shop that is specialized in head work, IMO. Save the money and do it right that is what I did.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also, I am really wanting Richard to get me a set. I just have to scrape up some cash first. What springs are you putting in there. Just keep in mind PTV clearance.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:33 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

I looked at them all and richard knows his stuff!!! That why I had him do mine. The others will Just try and sell you something wether it will work right or not. I know because I have done research. the 5.3L small bore does not really need a 2.0 Valve they actually start to shroud. for that reason richard uses a 1.94-1.95 valve. just his bowl work is like a 40cfm gain. You dont really gain much on these small bore engines buy trying to hog out the heads. there are very places to topuch up inside the port with out hurting thee Tru potential of the head. His heads alone are worth 25 at the tire and a good cam that worth 40-60 at the tire with no other mods and your near 65-80 at the tire right there.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:57 PM
11 Second Truck Club

I have tryed to do the research, and can not find anyone running a wcch stage 1 on their 5.3. I agree with you on their work, and I thought about it, and they do alot of research on small bore and large bore motors, andthe others just seem to do 5.7 and up.

I am waiting on a set of new 918's to come in and I will send these heads off to wcch. he said my tr224 will work beautifully with these heads. he said 112 is safe, and 110 would be better. just harder to tune for 110.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:54 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

Originally Posted by fastrt
I have tryed to do the research, and can not find anyone running a wcch stage 1 on their 5.3. I agree with you on their work, and I thought about it, and they do alot of research on small bore and large bore motors, andthe others just seem to do 5.7 and up.

I am waiting on a set of new 918's to come in and I will send these heads off to wcch. he said my tr224 will work beautifully with these heads. he said 112 is safe, and 110 would be better. just harder to tune for 110.
He can tell you stories about customers that tried to save a buck an went else were only to learn the hard way. I will leave it at that As I don't wont to Start a pissing match.

Richard Is very knowledgable and has years of resarch to back up what he say's. Also He does everything In house. Some other companie's don't even do the work in house They send it out. He wont sell you something that won't work or that you don't need. If you Beg him, he might but He will tell you a hundred times that it's a waist before he makes you sign for it and actually does the work.

As I said I picked his brain for hours on end specifically On these particular small bore set up's. unfortunitally ever one thinks Old school... Throw a dominator on it and you will pick up 3/10'ths at the top end. The problem with that theroey is at what cost is the 3/10'ths Gain worth it??? If the car bogs out of the Hole esspecially at the lower RPM were you spend most of the time driving Then whats the point if an 850 will give you better throtlle response and all around driveability... The same applys to Heads. Sure you could throw some wildly ported heads on it, but with a small cam, small TB and a small Bore, It's gonna respond like a Pile of dung.

I have done a base line on my truck in bone stock forum. I rebuilt another 5.3L that I picked up and I have a set of WCCH stage 1 heads, Un-milled, and a mild cam. The 265 Low lift from comp. In back to back stock Vs. that same Mild Cam is about a 40 HP gain across the board with the cam alone. I am just witing on a ring set to arrive so I can button up the bottom end and install the heads. I would not be supprissed if the whole package I put together Including a tune, Gained 80-100 at the wheels Over stock. It should also be much more fun to drive and I shouldn't really lose any gas milage if I can keep my foot out of it.... we all know how that goes....
Old 04-17-2009, 11:42 AM
11 Second Truck Club

I am all for the wcch, but.....for less money, I can have a lq4 long block to play with.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:35 AM
Teching In

hey guys, i originally posted the link to the car craft magazine article on page one of this thread on the heads and cam swap that talked about richard at west coast cylinder heads.... i called him, then missed his call when he called back and then my heads sat on the back burner cause i didn't have time to call him back. now im curious how many of you have actually delt with him. i don't think a reptutable magazine like car craft would mention an "anything but great" cylinder head machinist in their magazine article however i never followed through with my heads after i read the article. i hear you guys talking about how great of work he does but whats his price for just a standard p&p? i thought i called and got an estimate for around 600 per head but i wasn't sure... i have bored out a stock 5.3l to 99 mm (stock ls1) and am using the stock rotating assy (stock ls1 pistons) and want to run an aftermarket cam/ls6 springs ect. but i really want to do the heads, does anyone know if you get mula back if you send him cores? sorry if i clogged the thread... thanks guys

Last edited by soulefood; 04-20-2009 at 11:44 PM. Reason: wording
Old 04-20-2009, 08:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lightbulb Here you go

Originally Posted by soulefood
hey guys, i originally posted the link to the car craft magazine article on page one of this thread on the heads and cam swap that talked about richard at west coast cylinder heads.... i called him them missed his call and my heads got sat on the back burner. now im curious how many of you have actually delt with him. i don't think a reptutable magazine like car craft would mention an "anything but great" cylinder head machinist in their magazine article however i never followed through with my heads after i read the article. i hear you guys talking about how great of work he does but whats his price for just a standard p&p? i thought i called and got an estimate for around 600 per head but i wasn't sure... i have bored out a stock 5.3l to 99 mm (stock ls1) and am using the stock rotating assy (stock ls1 pistons) and want to run an aftermarket cam/ls6 springs ect. but i really want to do the heads, does anyone know if you get mula back if you send him cores? sorry if i clogged the thread... thanks guys
Best thing to do would be to call him or PM him on here. Like you said, you need to communicate with him. Richard@WCCH

Quick Reply: worked 862 casting heads....who has em'