Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

would a 3/4 ton be a beter platform for 800+hp

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2003, 08:11 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default would a 3/4 ton be a beter platform for 800+hp

i know the 3/4 ton is ALOT heavier but i am to the point i need a beter driveline, it is going to cost me a bundle to swap in a 4l80e and will be alot of work too. then what about the front and rear diferential's and the transfer case?

what do you guys think of taking it back to stock and trading it in for a 3/4 ton, i would loose a little money in the trade, or if by some chance someone wanted it the way it is but with a smaller shot and a fixed 4l60e.

if i traded it in i would have a 6.0, 4l80e, big radiator, probably steaper gears, even more of a sleeper.

i could sell my converter, big radiator, 6.0, eaton. i could reuse my whipple, nx kit, headers, gauges. one other thing to look at is i think you can get a front locker for the front diferential.

i am not dieing to get rid of my truck or anything, the newer one's aren't really and better but before i drop a bunch more cash into my truck i just want to think about the alternatives. i want to run 10's some day, even beter maybe.
Old 05-31-2003, 08:45 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Default Re: would a 3/4 ton be a beter platform for 800+hp

Obviously, you are dealing with power / weight ratio. Do you have to have an extended cab 4 wheel drive? I ask myself the same questions, and keep coming back to the same answer - yes (but a single cab would be fun).

How about buying a new model, Z71 1/2 ton with the 4.8 liter and 4.10 gears. I'd stick to the lightest platform possible, so no HD. Yank out the 4.8, sell off the new 4l60, sell the NV transfer case. Buy a built 4L80, beef up the bottom end of your existing 6L, and find a strong transfer case. Since its not an off road vehicle, you could give it some good weight reduction while the drivetrain is out. Move over your exhaust and the rest of your bolt-ons.

If not a Z71, do a Jeep Wrangler conversion and use some dana axles and an Atlas transfer case. You'd drop 1500 pounds.

Dreaming is fun, isn't it?
Old 05-31-2003, 08:50 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How much does your truck weigh again?

For comparison. My dad's '99 2500HD Ext.cab long bed weighs ~6100lbs with a camper shell and extra leaf springs.

Now as you know with some weight reduction you can drop that number significantly which will help.

I think you should go for the 3/4 ton truck. Once you start really modding/fabricating items on your current truck it makes it that much more difficult to go back to stock. The 3/4 tons already have EVERYTHING that you want.

My vote is to go for the 3/4 ton truck and go after it again. It's going to take a bit more power than you have right now though to hit 10's. Probably somewhere in the 800-850rwhp range at close to 6000lbs.

John

Old 05-31-2003, 09:03 PM
single digit dreamer

NO, i dont need an extend cab, i dont even really need a 4wd but i believe that is the key to my current street racing sucess so would rather not give it up. seems like the truck you are describing is just a fresher version of what i have, wouldn't do me much good since i like my truck, i just want it to be able to take the power.

anyone know what the diferences between a 3/4 ton and a HD3/4 ton are? i know they both have the 6.0 and 4l80e, i would like to know if they have the same transfer case and diferentials or if the reg 3/4ton might share the transfer case with the 1/2 ton.

i keep seeing near new forged everything heads and cam 400+ ci motors for sale, imiagine one of those with 9psi for everyday and 200+ staged nitrous set up. i bet you could get 1000hp out of one prety easy, all it takes is money.

Old 05-31-2003, 09:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Parish8 how about a 8.1 intercooled Whipplecharged 3/4ton with 5 speed allison 14 bolt 4.56 rearend add a Eaton posi and a 125 shot.Order a 2wd regular cab with a pickup bed.Run on 18"Drag TAs and 12 lbs of boost.You might could order it as a bare chassis and not even have a bed,that would be extreme.
Old 05-31-2003, 10:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't been able to confirm this (don't want to find out yet ) but I've been told that the 8.1 doesn't like alot of boost so hitting it with 12# would probably tear it up pretty quick.

Tom
Old 06-01-2003, 02:19 AM
TECH Resident

The non HD 2500 will have the same front diff as the HD but a less stronger version in the rear. you will have a 9.5" semi floating 14 bolt in the rear of the non HD and the HD will have the 10.5" full floater. If you are seriously considering a 3/4 ton, the non HD would be perfect for you. you will get the 6.0, 4L80E, and stronger diffs. And you will be able to do a locker up front. There are supposed to be some coming out for the front of the 1500 trucks, but its taking forever for them to come out. The 9.5" 14 bolt would be more than enough to handle the stress of racing, and the front diff would be more than capable as well.

or the other thing you could do would be to get a 5 speed manual truck, and swap in the 4L80E and run the stand alone controller so that you dont have any computer problems.

You could get a 4.8 5speed 4x4 RCSB truck and swap in your motor and then do the 4L80E swap. Im not sure how many choices youd have for a t-case but there are some strong ones that you could run
Old 06-01-2003, 04:45 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Why not get a 2500HD RC/SB 10.5" 14 bolt and get a detroit locker. I would probley say lower it for making a 10 sec truck, I like my trucks goon like stance but it has a bit too much ride heigth for a 1/4 mile performer. The only reason why I choose this truck was I wanted a 1500 truck that had all the HD parts a larger engine. If they had a 1500 with a LQ4 4L80 and a 14 bolt I would have choose it.
Old 06-01-2003, 05:32 AM
Teching In

I would stay away from a five spped you will not be able to bang gears like a mustang or camaro. The transfer case increases your mass and synchronized or not you'll grind gears if you try and power shift. Dont belive me go test drive a four wheel drive standard you'll see what I'm talking about. I would go with the HD Reg Cab increase the cooling on the tranny and stick with the 4L80E. Get the snow plow pkg with that you get increased cooling and one nifty feature you might like is they are pre wired for a light on the roof, I know you dont want a light but the relay is nice for nitrous and all set to go wit a sleeper built in factory light switch to activate it. Also , with the plow pkg there are 1 or 2 holes already in the fire wall to run ifo to your gauges you plan on.
Old 06-01-2003, 12:30 PM
TECH Resident

I wasnt saying to use the 5 speed, I was saying that a 5 speed truck would be a good foundation for a 4L80E swap because there would be no computer conflicts.

Also, doesnt the 1500HD come with a 4L80E also??? I know it has the 6.0 and the 9.5" 14 bolt as well. the only think is that it is a crew cab.

I wouldnt get a truck with the full floater because that will be overkill IMO. The 9.5 will be more than enough. But i guess that is personal preference. The non HD will be a good amount lighter than the HD version. And i think you can get the non HD in a short bed cant you?

Quick Reply: would a 3/4 ton be a beter platform for 800+hp