Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

would dual Bosch 044s in the tank be too much

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 08:57 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default would dual Bosch 044s in the tank be too much

With my turbo 383 project I've got planned I would like to start out around 750 hp and work up from there. The Bosch pump seems to be capable of 750~ hp on its own but anymore is pushing it. If I run dual in tank pumps of this size would it be too much flow and overcome the regulator? I would hook them in parallel so they would both run all the time, two pumps, two socks, two check valves, a couple of 90 degree -8 fittings and a -8 Tee with a single -8 hose going up to a bulkhead -8 fitting in the top of the pump module. The other issue would be installing this in a tank with about a 4 inch opening but I bet I can do it. I've done worse. The regulator I've got now is an Aeromotive 13301 with the 20-65 psi spring in it. Will it flow enough to control two big pumps?

Aeromotive 13301 - Aeromotive Universal Bypass Regulators - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Whats the difference in the 13301 and this regulator? They look nearly identical only one says it is ideal for superior flow control and the other says its good for 1000 hp.

Aeromotive 13105 - Aeromotive Compact EFI Fuel Regulators - Overview - SummitRacing.com
Old 12-10-2011, 06:39 PM
TECH Resident

Nobody?
Old 12-10-2011, 06:58 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

I will say that using it in the stock tank with the bucket assembly will be foolish because they will drain the bucket faster than it can be refilled unless you have at least half a tank....this is a moot point anyway because you will not be able to fit 2 of them side by side in the stock bucket (they are 60mm a piece). The solution would be to use 2 smaller pumps (Walbro 255s, denso 1020s, aeromotive 340s), or a surge tank setup.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:14 PM
TECH Resident

Well I call it a module for lack of a better term but on the 95 its a metal fuel pump hanger or whatever you want to call it and the pump is completely open to the fuel tank. IIRC there isn't really any baffling in the tank so there should be plenty of room for the pumps. Like I said I know they would be too wide to install in the tank at once but as good as I am I bet I could insert the pump end of the hanger into the tank far enough to get the pumps installed one at a time and make it work. It would be no more stupid then GM putting quick connect hoses on the inside of the tank that have to be disconnected before the pump module will come out.

I had a Walbro 255 at one time and never did like the pump. When it was working it was ok but was always a little noisy and the check valve didn't work the best. After about 9 months or so it started screaming like a banshee and after a couple more months it finally died. I've read a lot of mixed reviews on Walbro pumps. Same say they are great and others had the same luck I did. The Bosch seems to be the most linear flow vs pressure and reliable pump out there. I want something I can drive and not worry about.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One bosch wont fit in the return bucket. I had to hack mine just to get it to fit.
If it were me, id try a walbro 255 in the tank and maybe a bulkhead in the rear of the tank with a bosch 044?

Just a thought.

But if you can get two 044's in the tank your gonna have to run half tank to make sure they dont starve.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Doh!!
Didnt think bout it in your older truck.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:56 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
Doh!!
Didnt think bout it in your older truck.
See older is better.

I've exposed the pump before getting into it too hard with only a 1/4 tank or maybe a little less so having to keep a little fuel in it is nothing new. I try to never let it get below a 1/4 tank on either truck anyway for the pumps sake. My other thought is since I'm going to be using my stock feed line as my new return line it should dump the return fuel directly on top of the fuel pump(s) to help keep them cool.

I guess at this point its more a matter of being able to control the flow of two 044s. My concern is say I'm cruising along and kick the cruise off and go into decel fuel cut off. Is the regulator going to be able to flow enough to let all that fuel go back to the tank or is it going to pressure spike the pumps if not dead head them? I guess the same could be said for installing a high output pump on an otherwise stock system. Seems like the same scenario could easily happen going through a stock regulator and tiny 5/16 return line. Opinions?

One more thing is braided stainless hose submersible?

Last edited by oldred95; 12-10-2011 at 08:58 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:59 AM
TECH Resident

I think you guys are right on putting in a sump. I drew out the setup I was thinking and then found pics of the fuel hanger assembly and there simply was no room for it. My big hang up with the sump kits are the install. I'm not worried about blowing myself up because with a 4 inch hole and a 2 inch filler neck hole open the tank shouldn't blow, maybe a poof but not blow up. The problem is welding one in. Then I found this kit.

XDP Black Anodized Diesel Fuel Tank Sump Kit - No Tank Drop Install

I think that with an AN fitting would be the cats meow. I could run a single 044 frame rail mounted and if its not enough add another easy enough. Is running two 044s in series not an option? I've seen setups with them in parallel or a smaller pump feeding the 044 but never have seen anything done with them in series. Opinions?

Last edited by oldred95; 12-11-2011 at 01:10 AM.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

To me, id feel a sump would be your best bet. No pump starving at all.

Its late and ive been in a huge mess of redoing a wiring harness.

Series means they will be side by side and there will be a 'Y' at some point?
Or a 044 feeding into another 044?

Series and Parallel get me everytime.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:50 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Series is one after another, parallel would be next to each other

Quick Reply: would dual Bosch 044s in the tank be too much