Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Would you cut stock airbox again

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 08:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I would just buy a S/C or turbo and be done with all air needs!!!!
Old 10-07-2007, 08:57 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I cut the entire front of the lower box out along with removing some of the foam/rubber type stuff from behind the headlight, it made a noticeable difference. I would do it again definately.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by closet red neck
This is what I did but I installed a 3" sewercap so in rainy weather, I could plug up the Volant ram-air. With that being said, I also smoothed out the inside if the stock air that's up against the fire wall. I made a meyal plate to block off the fenderwell hole. So basically when the ram-air is "open"(3" sewer plug is out), the plate blocks the fenderwell hole. When it rains I plug the hole(3" sewer plug is in) and remove the metal block off plate.

This must sound complicated.........

James
Yeah, I'm having a hard time visualizing what you actually did.

Originally Posted by XLR8NSS
I cut the entire front of the lower box out along with removing some of the foam/rubber type stuff from behind the headlight, it made a noticeable difference. I would do it again definately.
Do you mean the foam on the outside passenger side, the part that seems to isolate the fender air from the engine bay air?
Old 10-07-2007, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
i understand what your sayin but it sounds like more crap than its worth. sounds like we have the same EXACT custom intake setups. upd lid with volant built to the factory box. ive never had a problem with rain or hitting big puddles. and capping up the fender and uncapping the sewer drain dosent seem like it would benifit you any. i doubt you can build enough positive pressure in the intake system to actually gain anything from it. i did it just to open up the box and supply plenty cool air.
Well my truck consumes the same amount of air that a supercharged or turbo running 6lbs of boost. So I would say that I'm benifiting me. But never the less I was just trying to utilize the ram-air effect. My theory is that if the air can escape then why have ram-air. If you don't block off the fenderwell inlet then the air coming from the ram-air will flow it's least path of resistance.....which would (I think) go back out the fenderwell. It cost me less than $10bucks and about an hour.

James
Old 10-08-2007, 09:39 AM
TECH Veteran

I did the same thing TXSilverado did on my old 04 and would do it again in a heartbeat.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:23 AM
Teching In

Interesting thread, and it definitely has my curiosity up. I just installed the 63 series K&N, and it has a box similar to the volant, its enclosed. Could any of you that have done this cutout take a couple pictures and post them, I need to visualize what is happening. And the ram air effect, is it felt in the seat dyno, or do you just "know" that your getting more air and therefore more power?

Hell any chance someone could just describe exactly what to do? Id appreciate it.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:30 AM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Here is my ghetto intake!
Airbox Side Cutout and Ram Air Tube Opening

Ram Air Gotta Love PVC, thank goodness noone ever sees it!

Homemade Lid/Intake
Old 10-08-2007, 10:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by XLR8NSS
This is what I did when I still had a stock box. Very noticable difference and simple.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:10 PM
TECH Regular

I want to fab up a nice looking ram air setup once I get my efans installed. Not QUITE sure what I want to do but I want something that looks nice and is functional
Old 10-08-2007, 12:25 PM
Teching In

BlackGMC, is that intake going to a cutout where the foglights are? And then up through the fender to airbox right?

Quick Reply: Would you cut stock airbox again