Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

X-Pipe? H-pipe? No Pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 01:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BLASTER
I hope they are not discontinued. It is a very nice piece. They are still on thier site.
I am running #10792, the 3" one. I should pick another one up for future use.

Thats what the local muffler shop guy told me. (He is a Magnaflow dealer) Thats whare I got my x-pipe about a year ago. Im sure you can get it on the net if he wont sell it.

Originally Posted by BLASTER
H pipe will balence pressure in both pipes BUT X will also scavenge the gas to help evacuate the engine cylinders. Think about the way an engine fires and imagine each exhaust stroke as a pulse, one after each other. As a pulse travels down the pipe and crosses over in the X it should, in theory, create a vaccuum and help pull the next exhaust pulse on the other side. I also believe cam overlap together with a high flowing (velocity) exhaust also helps eliminate intake reversion and helps bring more air into the cylinder.

X pipe will sound a bit quieter than an H pipe too.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:50 AM
On The Tree

Go "X"....we've tested many exhaust systems on our engine dyno and the x always comes out on top....

Originally Posted by Black_Silverado_5.3
Ok, so my truck is an '04 and I'm planning on installing a new exhaust system (I like Borla). My questions to you guys are...What's the difference between installing an X-pipe or an H-Pipe? Will it help improve the performance on my truck? I've been getting mixed reviews from my friends, so I have decided on asking the experts...
Old 01-13-2005, 10:49 AM
Staging Lane

I think it would all depend on your headers. I've heard that with the Dynatech system, the Y-pipe actually puts out slightly more power to the wheels than Dynatech's with an X or H pipe. This is just what I've heard, and it is most likely different for each set of headers.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:34 AM
On The Tree

I'm looking to install new Arizona Speed and Marine (Ceramic-Coated) headers (long tube). Their performance on a truck looks very promising...and expensive...but hopefully i'll get my money's worth. I have a UPD cold-air intake and HP-tuning on my truck so far, and it's running pretty decent...the tuning really helps a lot...Thanks a lot for your feedback, guys. I have made my decision on installing the x-pipe with my exhaust system, I'll let you know how it's running...One more thing, Does it matter if i install the exhaust first and then the headers?? Or should i go in a sequential manner in the form of intake first, headers, and then exhaust??
Old 01-13-2005, 12:05 PM
Staging Lane

I'm looking to install new Arizona Speed and Marine (Ceramic-Coated) headers (long tube). Their performance on a truck looks very promising...and expensive...but hopefully i'll get my money's worth. I have a UPD cold-air intake and HP-tuning on my truck so far, and it's running pretty decent...the tuning really helps a lot...Thanks a lot for your feedback, guys. I have made my decision on installing the x-pipe with my exhaust system, I'll let you know how it's running...One more thing, Does it matter if i install the exhaust first and then the headers?? Or should i go in a sequential manner in the form of intake first, headers, and then exhaust??
I'm waiting for some Dynatechs, I was talked out of ASM's when I heard they were a bitch to install and required welding, I like that the Dynatechs bolt right up.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well after 6 months of waiting, Summitt fimnally got and shipped out my coated Thorley Tri-Y's. Plenty of people have said that these are about the best headers for the money $550 shipped. I personally think its better to install the headers and work back because once your headers are bolted up they arent moving.
Old 01-13-2005, 03:24 PM
On The Tree

QTP (sponsor to the right--->), is in the making of with some kickass headers for our trucks some time soon so you might want to wait see how they turn out
Old 01-13-2005, 06:40 PM
On The Tree

I checked out the QTP site. So what would be an appropriate size of headers for our trucks? 1 3/4'' , 1 7/8'' ?
Old 01-17-2005, 12:11 AM
On The Tree

Ok, so my truck is an '04 and I'm planning on installing a new exhaust system (I like Borla). My questions to you guys are...What's the difference between installing an X-pipe or an H-Pipe? Will it help improve the performance on my truck? I've been getting mixed reviews from my friends, so I have decided on asking the experts...

You can always get the famous o-pipe http://www.kalecoauto.com/, but its gonna make a hole in your wallet. $$$ Maybe then you can beat my truck....
Old 01-17-2005, 01:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SmokinLM7
You can always get the famous o-pipe http://www.kalecoauto.com/, but its gonna make a hole in your wallet. $$$ Maybe then you can beat my truck....
eat some **** and die for that one buddy

Quick Reply: X-Pipe? H-pipe? No Pipe?